New iAero user. Initial thoughts and questions

Derath

New iAero user. Initial thoughts and questions

Post by Derath »

Hey all,

I am an excited new iAero user. I got it in the mail 2 days ago. Unfortunately this week has been hectic so I just got it mounted tonight.

My initial thoughts.
-It is tiny! You don't appreciate the size in pictures. I am impressed.
- the screen seems strangely inset. I would have expected it to be flush with the housing. Is this correct? Seems like it would cause water to pool in the rain.
- Usb mount. C'mon guys. for a device of this price you can't afford at least a 15in or so usb cable? I got a longer usb cable with my $50 inkjet printer.
-Richard, you have already depressed/motivated me. In watching the intro video your total bike+gear+person weight is lower than just my weight.

Ok the questions.

1. How critical is the weight. We only have one scale. I can buy one to keep in the garage if necessary. But I figured if I weigh myself and then myself+gear I would have a good baseline. Then future rides I can just weigh myself in the bathroom and know pretty close what weight difference I would have per ride (my gear is pretty much always the same)

2. I bought the handlebar mount. My bars are standard size, so I used the big foam double stick piece to mount. I tightened everything down and while I cant really move it, the mount can sorta move a little, mostly due to the thickness of the double stick foam. Is that ok?

I guess that is all I have. I am hoping to get my coast downs and 4 mile ride done friday/sat. I am sure I will have more quetsions after that.

-D
Attachments
IMG_7711.jpg
IMG_7711.jpg (70.25 KiB) Viewed 5657 times
racerfern

Re: New iAero user. Initial thoughts and questions

Post by racerfern »

Hey congratulations!

The inset screen is strange. Water never enters and you also do not get glare from the sun. So all in all it's good.

I love my short USB cord. With the long one, the unit took a tumble a couple of times. I guess it's just a preference.

Weight is not critical. Once you get comfortable with the software, you will see where you can adjust the weight. It doesn't have much effect on the numbers. If you lose or gain 5# then you'll want to reset the number. However be sure to carefully do your tilt and wind calibrations. Also, check that the tire pressure you do the coastdowns and 4O&B is your regular tire pressure and be consistent with it.

My setup is nearly identical except that I have my 705 where your iBike is and I have the iBike on the rights side of the bars. I can remove either one (barely) without touching the other one. I also use the same thick foam piece. Crank down on those little screws until the bottom side almost touches the top half of the mount. You'll see that the foam does have some wiggle, but it works fine.
Fernando
Derath

Post by Derath »

Yea I am considering moving the garmin to the right side. Time will tell.

As far as the cable, I just don't like the whole thing hanging, with the weight (albeit light) being supported by the usb port. Either way it is a minor nitpick.

I finally got the ibike working with my desktop (XP) although my tablet (Vista) is still giving me errors installing the usb drivers.

can't wait to take it for a spin. I don't really deserve such a cool device. But toys can be motivating (that is my hope at least)

Oh and another question. Can you do your CD and 4 mile ride, and then immediately go take a "real" ride? Or do you have to plug it in to the software to do something with the calibration rides first?

-D
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Oh and another question. Can you do your CD and 4 mile ride, and then immediately go take a "real" ride? Or do you have to plug it in to the software to do something with the calibration rides first?
Ride til you drop. But when you get back, download the coastdown and 4O&B and get your profile all setup. Take the time to do it right. Then you can download your after ride and use the button that says switch to profile after the ride or whatever it says.

Also after creating your first profile, remember to export it so it exists as a separate file and also remember to send it to the iAero so that profile gets used for future rides.
Fernando
iodaniell

Post by iodaniell »

Hey -D! Glad you got it working with one PC at least.

See you on the road sometime.
NoRacer's Bones in Motion (BiM) blog
Track me "live" - Username: NoRacer / Password: track.NoRacer
Twitter: http://twitter.com/NoRacer

2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,239 miles
2006 mileage = 10,034 miles; 2007 mileage = 11,337 miles; 2008 mileage = 11,986 miles;
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

As far as the short cord, you could always get a USB extender. I have seen them as low as 5 dollars online. I am using one right now and it works great. I actually found it in an old file cabinet. . .and my girlfriend wonders why I don't throw away old cords.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

racerfern wrote:
Ride til you drop. But when you get back, download the coastdown and 4O&B and get your profile all setup. Take the time to do it right. Then you can download your after ride and use the button that says switch to profile after the ride or whatever it says.
What Fernando said. It's the menu item "Tools -> Switch Profile After-the-Ride...", which you can do after you create the profile from your coastdowns & 4 mi ride.
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

racerfern wrote:
Also after creating your first profile, remember to export it so it exists as a separate file and also remember to send it to the iAero so that profile gets used for future rides.
Hi, Racerfern,

I've never done anything to my profiles accept send them to my iAero. Why is it important to "export it so it exists as a separate file"?

Thanks.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

If for any stupid reason you need to reset your iBike or you accidently change your profile, you can just import the profile. It's like having a backup. Also if you have different profiles for different bikes or setups it can get confusing. Only keep the ones you regularly use in the software. The others you can load when and if you need them.
Fernando