Newton problems with power

Ridley

Newton problems with power

Post by Ridley »

Hi John,
Could you analyze these 2 rides of my Newton?
At the beginning in the first ride the power went up too much and in the second ride the power didn't start at all.
Please help me.
Attachments
iBike_01_19_2020_1312_53_km_HiDef.ibr
(805.05 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
iBike_01_17_2020_1321_53_km_HiDef.ibr
(816.06 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Newton problems with power

Post by Velocomp »

What's happening is that the angle your Newton is mounted to the bike is changing. It takes 5 minutes for Newton to auto-recalibrate; until calibrated your Newton can show high (or low) watts.

In your 1/17 ride file the slope is +13% for the first few minutes, until recalibration is made. During this period your watts are silly-high (Newton thinks you're climbing a 13% grade--that takes a LOT of power!).

In your 1/19 ride file the slope is -12% for the first few minutes, until recalibration is made. During this period your watts are zero.

Make sure your mount is firmly attached to your bike. This should fix the problem.
John Hamann
Ridley

Post by Ridley »

Thanks. The mount is firmly attached to the handlebar. I didn’t change the position of the Newton in both rides. Shouldn’t be the same error in the slope? Or you think the Newton is moving by itself?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Ridley wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:12 pm Thanks. The mount is firmly attached to the handlebar. I didn’t change the position of the Newton in both rides. Shouldn’t be the same error in the slope? Or you think the Newton is moving by itself?
Something is rotating...

Do you remove Newton from your bike to download rides?

You can try a new cal ride, then followed by regular rides.
John Hamann
Ridley

Post by Ridley »

I follow your advise and tomorrow I’ll do a cal ride. Will something change in my profile?I hope not. I’ll let you know.
Ridley

Post by Ridley »

Good news!!!
I don't know what happened but,all of a sudden, all by itself my Newton has begun to work well, I didn't change settings or do a new calibration; this is a mystery for me.
I'm really happy because I do appreciate its accuracy and its versatility and it's a very valuable device; you must be very proud of your invention.
Thanks for creating it but what a shame that you discontinued the production.
I'll take care of my Newton as long as I can.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Ridley wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:48 am Good news!!!
I don't know what happened but,all of a sudden, all by itself my Newton has begun to work well, I didn't change settings or do a new calibration; this is a mystery for me.
I'm really happy because I do appreciate its accuracy and its versatility and it's a very valuable device; you must be very proud of your invention.
Thanks for creating it but what a shame that you discontinued the production.
I'll take care of my Newton as long as I can.
IMHO, I think the Newton is a wonderful product. It is simple, works extremely well, is easy to see, and is very easy to use. I really dislike my Garmin 820, with its complex buttons, outrageous procedures for doing things (even as simple as starting a new ride), inexplicable pairing results, and poor battery life.

But mainstream cyclists (and some sycophant reviewers too) seem to have drunk the Garmin Kool-Aid, and that is something we can't ignore!
John Hamann