Pairing Newton to a Hammerhead Karoo?

Ratman

Pairing Newton to a Hammerhead Karoo?

Post by Ratman »

I have a Newton5 with the GT upgrade which allows me to transmit power data to a Garmin head unit. In theory, should the GT upgrade allow me to pair to a non-Garmin GPS head unit (in this case, a Hammerhead Karoo)? The Karoo supposedly has both ANT+ and Bluetooth pairing capabilities, but it's been ridden with a plethora of bugs, and my pairing attempts with the Newton have been unsuccessful (I've been able to pair my Garmin ANT+ heart rate strap and hub wheel speed sensor, howver).

Also, is the Newton's transmitted data limited to the power field, or can it transmit other data? I ask because, in my experience, it seems that the Newton's ability to calculate grade% (speed of response and accuracy) is superior to that of dedicated GPS devices, including Garmin's. Thanks.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Pairing Newton to a Hammerhead Karoo?

Post by Velocomp »

If you have the GT option, then Newton will transmit its power data to an ANT+ bike computer. Make sure that Newton is not paired to a DFPM; if it is, it won't transmit its power data.

Newton does not transmit slope data but yes, slope is much better than any competitor product.
John Hamann
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

Velocomp wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:36 pm ...Newton does not transmit slope data but yes, slope is much better than any competitor product.
By any chance do the PowerPod and/or AeroPod have the capability to transmit slope data in addition to power data?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

AeroPod transmits slope and wind data. Right now the Connect IQ app for Garmin is the way to read it, but more stuff is coming.
John Hamann
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

Velocomp wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:57 pm AeroPod transmits slope and wind data. Right now the Connect IQ app for Garmin is the way to read it, but more stuff is coming.
Great, John, so there's an option for this now and perhaps others in the future.