High Avg Watts on Newton 6

Rowbot54

High Avg Watts on Newton 6

Post by Rowbot54 »

My average wattage that shows on the newton is consistently 25-30 watts high. I have to switch the profile after the ride in Isaac. The numbers in the switch profile pop up box are the same in both profile areas but the after box always shows wattage which appears correct for the ride. Why the overly high average on the newton?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: High Avg Watts on Newton 6

Post by Velocomp »

Please post an .ibr ride file and we will take a look.
John Hamann
Rowbot54

Post by Rowbot54 »

This was with a fresh cal ride after the 6 upgrade and also the newest firmware. I was having the same issue before the upgrade though. Thanks!
Attachments
iBike_02_11_2017_1351_37_Miles.ibr
(421.25 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

When I look at a ride file I check the following things:

1) Wind speed. In a solo ride wind speed should be close to bike speed (especially when there is little ground wind). Your wind speed is very close to bike speed; look, for example, between minutes 30-42 and 1:37 to 1:45. So, this is fine...

2) Rider settings. Your weight is normal

3) CdA and Crr. Both are normal for a person of your size, and for a road bike

4) Power vs speed. On level roads, with little head wind, my rule of thumb is "200W for 20 mph". You have a segment between 1:37 and 1:45 that pretty-well meets these conditions. You did 208W at 19 mph (there is a bit of headwind). So, this is normal.

5) Finally, I set smoothing to 0 and see if there are sensor dropouts. You have none

So, you have a well calibrated Newton that is functioning perfectly. Your watts are fine and you are a stronger cyclist than you think.

Enjoy!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 7.11.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 7.11.44 AM.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 13195 times
John Hamann
Rowbot54

Post by Rowbot54 »

Thanks for the quick reply!
Rowbot54

Post by Rowbot54 »

I'm still not convinced after a ride yesterday. It had me averaging 202 watts for the ride and when I switched profiles after the ride it gave me a more believable 158w. What I'm noticing on the Newton itself is that when I'm doing a relatively long climb the average watts go up quickly but when I come back down the average wattage doesn't drop the way it used to. It drops but only a small amount.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I can't really help you beyond what has been done. Your device is properly calibrated and your watts are normal for the speeds at which you are traveling.
John Hamann
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Velocomp wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:12 am When I look at a ride file I check the following things:

1) Wind speed. In a solo ride wind speed should be close to bike speed (especially when there is little ground wind). Your wind speed is very close to bike speed; look, for example, between minutes 30-42 and 1:37 to 1:45. So, this is fine...

Enjoy!
Dear John,

I have not used my Newton 5+ for a long while. FYKI it runs on FW 5.18.

Today I made some cal rides with my new bike, because I did not believe the wind data displayed by Newton itself (so I am not talking about Isaac wind data) after the 1st cal ride. After getting home I was thinking whether I was simply wrong during my ride.

I dont remember, sorry, so could you please tell me whether Newton 5 (5+ or 6) displays wind data as

a) relative to ground
b) relative to bike
c) depending on what the wind setting of Newton was before it was upgraded to FW 5.X, in other words while it was running on FW 4.X .
Consequently it can be either Relative to ground OR Relative to bike

And of course I know there is no official support of Newton any longer, so I would appreciate ven if you simply replied with a pure letter (a or b or c)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The Newton displays ground wind speed. A positive number is a headwind; a negative number is a tail wind.
John Hamann
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Thanks.

Then I was right that something was wrong because I got wind of 22-23km/h both when cruising at around 20 km/h to west and the same sort of wind when crusing to east. In both cases it was positive.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Zoltan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:03 pm Thanks.

Then I was right that something was wrong because I got wind of 22-23km/h both when cruising at around 20 km/h to west and the same sort of wind when crusing to east. In both cases it was positive.
Go into setup and do a "Cal Wind". That might fix things.
John Hamann
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

I had done it before the 1st cal ride and I even checked it after each of thenm, always in wind shielded places.

It did not differ from 0.0 with more than 0.3.

Anyway I have no other option than trying to make other cal rides somewhen later..
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Velocomp wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:53 pm The Newton displays ground wind speed. A positive number is a headwind; a negative number is a tail wind.
After some exhaustive tests meaning switching between firmware 4.16 and 5.18 several times, and downloading from and uploading to Newton different saved profiles, I dare say "Abs wind YES" or "Abs wind NO" is stored hiddenly in the saved profiles.

I mean the root of the problem was that I saved 4 profiles into Isaac when my Newton still was running on FW 4.16, at that time "ABS wind" was set to "NO" under Prof 3. NOTE: prof 1 and 2 had been actively used and fully properly calibrated before upgrading to FW 5.X, while Prof 3 and 4 were not fully calibrated profiles

Therefore also the saved profile dataset named as Prof #3 in Isaac has kept this information. When this year I started to use my third bike again I used Prof #3 dataset uploading it to Newton and went for a ride to re-calibrate this profile.

And as I reported earlier I always saw the relatively high wind data and I felt that it was relative wind.

Finally I could get rid of the hidden setting of 'Abs wind NO" switching back to FW 4.16, changing NO to YES and finally overwriting the profile file in Isaac, too. With this I eliminated this hidden info both in the unit and the saved file.

It was an interesting adventure. So even under FW 5.18 it is really possible that Newton does display realtive wind speed.

As a by-product I started to think but I am not fully sure, that using Powerstroke recording, I mean "Fast rec ON" can give me pretty high fake max watts in Isaac like 2050 watt. At least my experience was when I switch the profile after the ride and the only difference was the Powerstroke setting that the pikes has disappeared.
Matad1974

Post by Matad1974 »

Forgive me, where did you get the 4.16 firmware and how did you install it, is it good for the Newton 5? Thank you.
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Matad1974 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:43 pm Forgive me, where did you get the 4.16 firmware and how did you install it, is it good for the Newton 5? Thank you.
Sorry for not reverting earlier, but for some reasons I did not get the notification email regarding your post. It was just today that I visited the forum again.

As regards 4.16 John Hamann from Velocomp was the one who kindly emailed it to me when I wanted to change the level of contrast.

I cant say by heart how to install it, I always do it checking all the possible menu items in Isaac, but finally I always found the solution.

But I always have the fear that The latest fw (version 5.18, now) will be not available by auto-update when I will change my mind and want to revert back to fw 5.xx