Newton vs Powerpod

Ruklaw

Newton vs Powerpod

Post by Ruklaw »

Hi All,

After a warranty return I have a decent amount of store credit to spend at ProBikeKit, and am leaning towards a powerpod or newton to get started working with power.

The Powerpod is probably the leading contender, but with the Newton being slightly cheaper I'm wondering what the relative benefits are (Powerpod is listed at £300, "i-Bike Newton + Standard" listed at £285)

I already have a Garmin Edge 500 so I'm set for an Ant+ power head unit. I'm sure that I'd continue to use it (for gps tracking and simple navigation) which again leans me towards the powerpod.

So far as I understand it, the relative positives are:

Powerpod:
+ more compact and light
+ wider availability of alternative mounts (compatible with gopro mounts)
+ will send power data to my garmin over ant+ - although I get the impression Newton can do this, but might require additional GT firmware purchase? Is that no longer necessary?

Newton:
+ Live Cda display if combined with DFPM, wind speed data etc potentially displayed live rather than in Isaac.
+ Full display means setup/pairing somewhat easier?
+ comes with speed/cadence sensor - not a big deal for me as I already have garmin magnetless sensors

Am I correct in thinking that the Newton has now been updated with all the tweaks and refinements that went into the powerpod, or is it still the case that the powerpod is somewhat easier to setup and get riding on?

Finally, a more general couple of questions, given I mainly use strava to log rides, is it worth merging in the .ibr data before uploading rides to strava, or is the Ant+ power data generally adequate? I read somewhere that Isaac does correction if the powerpod has had to recalibrate which the garmin track wouldn't have, any advantage apart from that?

On a related note, how tolerant of overlap/interrupted recording is isaac when combining IBR data with garmin data (eg if I have a cafe stop and forget to turn back on the powerpod?) Is it fairly good at matching up the data or is it a bit hit and miss?

Anyone got any particular thoughts on the relative benefits or the questions raised?

Cheers all!
Tim
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Newton vs Powerpod

Post by Velocomp »

1) Both Newton and PowerPod send power signals to any ANT bike computer

2) The setup principles for both units are the same. Newton gives you feedback on its screen; PowerPod, through the status light.

3) The ProBikeKit price on the Newton is really hot...

If you love your Garmin, then go with the PowerPod. If you're not in love with the Garmin, then you're correct that the Newton provides on-screen information that no other bike computer can provide.

Isaac will automatically figure out rest stops, etc, and merge data accordingly. Isaac provides some great cycling insights other software cannot provide. It works with both units.
John Hamann
Ruklaw

Post by Ruklaw »

So I decided to go for the Newton+ - plays nicely with my computer but it looks like PBK have had it on the shelf too long as the battery appears to be dead - won't hold a charge.

Given PBK don't appear to have any more stock, am I able to get the battery replaced under warranty by you directly rather than sending it back?

I am in the UK which presumably complicates things!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

John Hamann