Stem Mount for Bike ala SRM (Delray twilight facebook pic)

Drissmalet

Stem Mount for Bike ala SRM (Delray twilight facebook pic)

Post by Drissmalet »

Hi there
I just saw a pic on the ibike page of a racer at Delray Twilight, with ibike monted just like a SRM in front of the stem. This is an ideal location for me as i am constantly looking at my power . This would be a big plus (I LOVE the ibike newton i purchased in December but not the mount). Right now I have it mounted on the handle bar right center...it is OK but not ideal. I need it more forward just like the pic...So it has been DONE!

I know this is subjective to rider, but HOW did this guy accomplish this with his ibike?
please let me know if you provide such an extension? Or how can I get it done?

Here is the picture attached
Thank you
Drissmalet

Re: Stem Mount for Bike ala SRM (Delray twilight facebook pic)

Post by Drissmalet »

There have been 93 views but not one answer
Hello VELOCOMP is anyone home? :-)

I would appreciate an answer as this was on your facebook page or is it A SECRET? :-)
In all seriousness, this would be VERY helpful to me...I am willing to pay for this special bracket, just need to know how it is done?

Thanks
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

There is a forum member "whynotride" that makes this bracket. I tried it for awhile but my stem cap didn't fit well with this attachment so I went back to my regular stem mount. Send him a PM and you might get an answer.

FWIW, it was very convenient having it out in front and looked very sleek. You should do another calride since the wind scaling will change somewhat.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (97.47 KiB) Viewed 14295 times
Fernando
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Drissmalet wrote:There have been 93 views but not one answer
Hello VELOCOMP is anyone home? :-)

I would appreciate an answer as this was on your facebook page or is it A SECRET? :-)
In all seriousness, this would be VERY helpful to me...I am willing to pay for this special bracket, just need to know how it is done?

Thanks
It's not a secret. We are testing now and hopefully will be offering them soon, for sale.
John Hamann
rcmaps

Post by rcmaps »

Does this also work with the iDash+Power phone booth case ?

Hard to tell from the photo.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

rcmaps wrote:Does this also work with the iDash+Power phone booth case ?

Hard to tell from the photo.
No. The mount is not strong enough. This is a Newton-only mount.
John Hamann
Drissmalet

Post by Drissmalet »

That is awesome and i will buy one as soon as it goes on sale
As a matter of fact I would love to pre order one
FelicianoVASA

Post by FelicianoVASA »

Attachments
ibike dash mount front.jpg
ibike dash mount front.jpg (125.7 KiB) Viewed 14070 times
rcmaps

Post by rcmaps »

FelicianoVASA wrote:For Idash you can check this link https://plus.google.com/photos/11807043 ... 7690359457
Where did you get this from? Is it stable and robust with all the weight?
FelicianoVASA

Post by FelicianoVASA »

Yes it is very robust, and is a DIY construction that take me about 15 minutes. I have used a Humpert Alloy Handlebar Bracket ( http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Humpert-Alloy-Ha ... _544wt_952) and a piece of plastic from the Idash handlebar mount that i cut.

I was wondering that the special garmin mount can do the job also with some adaptations: (http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Sram-QuickVi ... 1246wt_952)

The other system for Newton is something like this: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/RITHEY-WCS-Handl ... 072wt_1186
rcmaps

Post by rcmaps »

Thanks for that.
I did wonder whether it was a DIY job.
Problem I'm trying to solve is that my handlebar is getting crammed with iDash using steer tube mount, Garmin 800 on the right, headlights on the left (coming into autumn). I was going to get the SRAM mount and place the Garmin on that to the left of iDash so as to not interfere with the wind port and free some space on the handlebars. Having the iDash out front as you do is ideal as the wind port will be clear of any interference.
FelicianoVASA

Post by FelicianoVASA »

rcmaps wrote:
I did wonder whether it was a DIY job.
Do it yourself, because no one did it for me, I have re-use old objects and modding them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_it_yourself

The Idash in front is even more secure to check the road in front and at the same time visualize power data.
Other good improvement is concerning aero position. You can go more down and visualize the figures as well.

If you can discover a mount that lows the all system it will be betther. The only thing that is bad is the water in humid roads thats hits the wind port of the idash case.
You use the garmim because of bad gps position on iphone? Mine is a mess!
rcmaps

Post by rcmaps »

Thanks.

That has given me something to think about.

I use the Garmin for maps for discovering new places to ride. I don't have an iphone - just using an ipod touch 4G. Moreover, with the iphone riding in the countryside, it will start to chew up the 3G data which is rather costly in our country (NZ) compared to say USA or Europe as we have mostly a duopoly with cell phone providers here.

Yes, agree with you re water problems. A few times when I rode in the rain, sometimes the power reading goes crazy and low - I know then it's time to stop and shake or blow water out of the wind port and things will then get back to normal for a little while again. :D
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

rcmaps wrote:Thanks.

That has given me something to think about.

I use the Garmin for maps for discovering new places to ride. I don't have an iphone - just using an ipod touch 4G. Moreover, with the iphone riding in the countryside, it will start to chew up the 3G data which is rather costly in our country (NZ) compared to say USA or Europe as we have mostly a duopoly with cell phone providers here.
On my Android I can download maps with detail of a given area via WiFi and use those maps later on when I have shut off cell signal when roaming. I do it all the time when traveling out of the country and don't want to incur additional charges but still want maps. I can't get directions but it's completely accurate for where you are. Perhaps this will work for iPhone/iPod also. BTW, this is using the Google Maps app.
Fernando
funkmeister

Post by funkmeister »

I know the guys must be hard at work on this one, any updates on the new mount?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Actually, we are working on a new TT mount right now.

The front mount shown didn't work out in our testing. We think the front mount will be a variation on the TT mount; stay tuned!
John Hamann