Newton first impressions

ScottChapman

Newton first impressions

Post by ScottChapman »

Well, I got home yesterday and noticed that new iBike smell emanating from my mailbox, and sure enough! Boom, there it was in all it's glory!

So, I couldn't wait to get started.

First, the unit itself is everything the iBike should be. All self contained. Only a wind port and micro-usb port which is protected with a rubber tab, and fits nicely on the mount. The device is light and feels very solid. The overall shape and screen are nicely improved.

Once I got the software installed I was able to get the unit connected, installed the firmware update already posted, and went through the quick startup sequence. I believe this is somewhat similar to before, you just enter in you vital statistics, and you're done. very straight forward.

Then you do need to take it out for a calibration ride. It is recommended (though it doesn't say this in the quick start guide) that you ride to the ride to let the device acclimate to the temp/barametric pressure, yada yada. So, start with a tilt calibration and ride to a good location to do your calibration ride.

As I was riding to mine, I couldn't stop watching the Newton. It just looks better, and it does seem quite a bit snappier than the previous version.

Did my calibration ride, and done. While I was out, I also spent some time doing coast downs just to have that.

I need to spend some more time with it, but by and large it is familiar, setup screen seems the same, display features seem the same. Just seems better...

Interested in what everyone else thinks about the Newton...
bjrmd

Re: Newton first impressions

Post by bjrmd »

I had a bit of trouble sliding it on and off the mount, possibly from the rubber port cover. Put a bit of chain lube on it a its a bit better. Just started using it so hard to say how the accuracy will be, but the wind cal drift with temp change does seem better- 2-3 units rather than 10 for a 70 to 90 degree temp change.
bjrmd

Post by bjrmd »

Did about 50 miles today and was very close to my powertap on average--1-2% but part of the way had a blocked wind port from rain.
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

The USB cover looks like the only candidate for a short lifespan. Pretty flimsy.

As far as the screen - I expect ZAGG.com to carry an "InvisiShield" film that will add protection to this pretty quickly. (I have added this to previous iBike screens - avoids scratches and any banging around.

Tom
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We've actually debated whether to remove the USB cover at the factory.

When the Newton is attached to the mount there is a weatherproof seal even without the cover; we've "dunk tested" this!
John Hamann
scotty

Post by scotty »

bjrmd wrote:Did about 50 miles today and was very close to my powertap on average--1-2% but part of the way had a blocked wind port from rain.
Was that from the basic set-up, or did you include coast downs as part of your set-up?
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Yep have to agree on the USB port seal - glad that you tried out the merit of even needing it.

This also addresses Scott's comment on the snug fit to the rail -

Tom
bjrmd

Post by bjrmd »

scotty wrote:
bjrmd wrote:Did about 50 miles today and was very close to my powertap on average--1-2% but part of the way had a blocked wind port from rain.
Was that from the basic set-up, or did you include coast downs as part of your set-up?
I transferred my old gen 3 profile and did a cal ride to just tune the wind cal factor. I did not do any coast downs or a new calibration ride. Still need to do a bit more to be sure this is reproducible.
still-chasing

Post by still-chasing »

If I clip the rubber tab covering the USB port, will it void the warranty? It's hard to slide the unit in the mount and afraid it will crack the plastic rail of the unit.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

No, it will not void the warranty.
John Hamann
babyboomer

Post by babyboomer »

ScottChapman wrote:Well, I got home yesterday and noticed that new iBike smell emanating from my mailbox, and sure enough! Boom, there it was in all it's glory!
You got your Newton in three days?! I guess it's because it was sent by way of the US Postal Service. Mine is coming UPS.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Due to complexities related to the trade-in program, and the need to track shipments, for the most part we are using UPS.
John Hamann