Temperature readings on Newton

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Temperature readings on Newton

Post by Velocomp »

The Newton measures temperature at the wind port.

The (new) digital wind sensor we are using is pre-calibrated by its manufacturer.

We've had a few reports that the temperature reading reported on the Newton screen appears to be a bit high.

We will investigate this and, if needed, provide a firmware update to fix the reported temperature.

In the mean time, don't worry; your Newton will work just fine!
John Hamann
Zoltan

Re: Temperature readings on Newton

Post by Zoltan »

Do you have any update about it?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Nope.
John Hamann
Russ

Post by Russ »

My only observation on this topic, having the RWS installed, is yes a few degrees higher readings. However, I guess with the RWS I may be stuck with that as John said the temperature sensor was in the air port, thus exposed to outside air (as I understood the post) so I suppose mine is not so well exposed.

If true, then I wonder if it would be beneficial to have a selection that says RWS present and then applies some positive offset, perhaps even a positive offset function of temperature. Just wondering.

Generally working quite well for me so far!

Russ
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Russ wrote:My only observation on this topic, having the RWS installed, is yes a few degrees higher readings. However, I guess with the RWS I may be stuck with that as John said the temperature sensor was in the air port, thus exposed to outside air (as I understood the post) so I suppose mine is not so well exposed.

If true, then I wonder if it would be beneficial to have a selection that says RWS present and then applies some positive offset, perhaps even a positive offset function of temperature. Just wondering.

Generally working quite well for me so far!

Russ
Good point; the RWS isolates the sensor from ambient air.
John Hamann
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

"The Newton measures temperature at the wind port"

I think that is the really good point. First I have just read your post rapidly, but when checked it again I suddenly understood that it should solve all the problems of the direct sunshine effect. If the temp sensor is really very close to the ambient air, in a more direct relationship, so to speak, than with the casing, then it should be bloodily accurate.

So just a faulty factory calibration can 'steal' its accuracy, which can be easily solved with adding a temp calibration / setting menu.

Please take my congratulations for this clever design.
DennyS

Post by DennyS »

Is there a difference in temperature readings (and its effects on other measurements) between black and white Newton models?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We are seeing excellent temperature immunity in the Newton.

The white case absorbs less heat than the black case, so temperature should be a bit closer to "actual" with the white model. Other than that, there are no meaningful performance differences.
John Hamann