Where's My Newton?

babyboomer

Where's My Newton?

Post by babyboomer »

Okay, we're two days into May and I don't have my Newton yet! :lol:

Seriously though... I elected to go with an extra mount versus the GT firmware. Eventually I'll want to unlock that feature. Can you tell me what it will cost to get that key?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Where's My Newton?

Post by Velocomp »

GT key is $99.
John Hamann
GWPOS

Post by GWPOS »

So are they shipping yet?????
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Nope, it's only May 4.

We expect all orders will ship during the second half of May.
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Totally, totally bummed!! :( :cry: :(

Back in February the ship date slipped to May 1 (from the original March date).

I'm trying to be patient ... really I am but it just not in my nature :o
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Just be glad that you're not waiting for your power meter pedals to show up. :D
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

I gave up on them a long time ago. The only chance they had was when Vector stated they were going to be doing them with Speedplay pedals. I don't / won't / can't ride with anything other than Speedplays!! Probably more than you want to know ... but most people do not know that they are the only pedals that you can get custom spindles for. They make the stainless steel spindles in 1/8" longer; 1/4 longer; and 1/2" longer lengths. My feet toe out quite a bit and I need the 1/2" extra length to keep my ankles from hitting the crankarms and heels from hitting the chainstays.

Speedplays rule!!!

I'm waiting for the Newton + to show me that it rules!! :D :lol: :D :lol:
FelicianoVASA

Post by FelicianoVASA »

Velocomp wrote:Just be glad that you're not waiting for your power meter pedals to show up. :D
So sarcastic...
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

FelicianoVASA wrote: So sarcastic...
It is a bit sarcastic, however John's point is that sometimes we all need to take a look around and see all the issues and delays other companies have on a regular basis. Velocomp has an excellent track record for announcing and delivering products within a reasonable amount of time. I'm sure there's nothing Velocomp would have liked better than to release the Newton as planned but he has been forthright in explaining the delay.
Fernando
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

Welcome to the last half of May...

Any update on newton shipment and/or new handlebar/stem mount?
kondrag

Post by kondrag »

And for those of us who sent an email to request an order modification to get the stem mount as our free second mount, should we have received a confirmation by now? I sent a follow-up email as well but still haven't heard anything.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Circuit boards are shipping May 27. We are going to have a very busy end-of-month.
John Hamann
babyboomer

Post by babyboomer »

By the way...

Although I did get a receipt from the company that processed my payment, I never received acknowledgement of my order from Velocomp. I've grown accustomed to receiving something from the merchant when placing orders online. Should I be concerned?
GWPOS

Post by GWPOS »

I know Velocomp said we get the free second mount if our orders were placed by a certain time. I now noticed that there is a $20 upgrade fee for the new style mount which was origainlly supposed to be free. So for those of us who ordered in time, which one is it? Is it free like was originally posted?
TriBike

Post by TriBike »

The Original trade in offered a "freebie" of a universal handlebar mount OR GT Firmware... we then added a speed/cadence sensor later on by popular demand. I believe that the steer tube is $10 upgrade, and the new Dual Purpose Mount will be $20 upgrade. However, as of May 1, the Freebies are no longer available.
GWPOS

Post by GWPOS »

So, my next question would be.......Is Velocomp going to send e-mails out verifying our orders before shipping?
jslopez93

Post by jslopez93 »

Velocomp wrote:Circuit boards are shipping May 27. We are going to have a very busy end-of-month.
Awesome.

Can't wait to get mine :)
velobob

Post by velobob »

When will it be possible to purchase a GT key for the Newton? The link of the re-order webpage doesn't seem to work yet. Would be nice to have it when or just after my Newton arrives so I can use the Garmin sensor already on my bike.

By the way, the new iBike cadence/speed sensor isn't great with the new generation of carbon wheelsets with the magnet built into the rim - for these the speed sensor needs to be BB proximal to the cadence sensor, not further out the chain stay as in your mounting instructions. Can the sensors be mounted on top of the chain stay to get around this problem?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, mounting on top of the chain stay should work.
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

Any updates on delivery or the Newton?

Also looking for any update on the new mount (which just says delivery after June 1)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We expect circuit boards to arrive Thursday or Friday. We will then be working feverishly to start shipping, first-come, first-serve.

We have a ton of backorders, so please be calm. I have been riding with the Newton and this much I know: your patience will be rewarded.

We don't expect the new mount to be ready to ship until mid-June. As it turns out, metal can be cut only at a certain rate. Not even Apple can get around this constraint. :D

PS: One thing we won't have for first shipments: our new package. It's on order but won't arrive until mid-June. We figure most of you won't care about the cover; you want the contents...
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

Agreed on all counts.

Thanks for the honest update.
babyboomer

Post by babyboomer »

I have one thing to say... GRRRR!

Okay, that should hold me until July. :lol:

My problem is that, not only haven't I received my Newton, but my iPro (which I've had less than a year) isn't working either!

Okay, I'm done. No more complaints. Please don't put my order at the bottom of the queue. :lol:
jslopez93

Post by jslopez93 »

Glad to see I don't seem to be the only one checking this forum every 5 minutes hoping for the announcement that Newtons have shipped.

Understand Ibike team is doing everything they can.

Excitement and anticipation continues to grow.
ldmitruk

Post by ldmitruk »

I haven't felt this kind of anticipation since Christmas Eve as a little kid.
jslopez93 wrote:Glad to see I don't seem to be the only one checking this forum every 5 minutes hoping for the announcement that Newtons have shipped.

Understand Ibike team is doing everything they can.

Excitement and anticipation continues to grow.
jslopez93

Post by jslopez93 »

Can any info be shared on the free GPS capability yet?

Curious to see if it's related to one's smart phone (as I am in the market for a new one and want to amke sure it that's the case, that I get a compatible one).
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

SInce there is no GPS chip in the unit, and no mechanism for Garmin devices to send GPS data while it is recording, I would expect this to be a feature of the Isaac software to merge the iBike data with the ride data from a garmin.

Just a guess. Maybe there is magic I am unaware of, but that would be pretty cool!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

You're on the right track, but why settle only for a Garmin?
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

Because that's the only one I have?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Shipping update: we begin receiving circuit boards Saturday (June 2). We will start shipping Monday, June 4.

It's going to be a really busy week...
John Hamann