Display suggestions

blp

Display suggestions

Post by blp »

Hi John.

I am assuming the User Interface of the Newton will be similar to the Pro and Aero. I have have a few suggestions on screen layout that I think will improve the user experience.

One of the things I love and hate is the alternating HR / CAD. I love the alternating feature, but often I wish the placement of the readout were different for each measurement. For example, the HR could stay in the lower right corner and the CAD could appear in the middle or left. Often it is obvious which is which by the numbers, other times HR and cadence are similar. Screen position would remove any ambiquity.

In the ride time mode, that ride time and local time would alternate. Perhaps this could be controlled to alternate, full time ride time or full time local time. Again, different screen position in alternate mode.

And lastly, that the inclination under 2% be displayed. It's good to know that I'm climbing a 'false flat' at, say .5%, and not just sucking wind. Knowing that I am on a very slight incline really helps to understand my current physiology. I know I could check HR vs power to verify I'm struggling. But the struggle could be caused several factors - dehydration, spending too much too early among other factors including incline.

Perhaps these could be implimented into the Newton.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Bruce
FelicianoVASA

Re: Display suggestions

Post by FelicianoVASA »

I dream with something like this with customisable data fields:

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Get a Garmin Edge 800 and purchase the GT firmware for Newton. Mine works great! I love the garmin customized screens. Also, you get GPS data and Navi features with the Edge 800.
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

blp wrote:Hi John.

And lastly, that the inclination under 2% be displayed. It's good to know that I'm climbing a 'false flat' at, say .5%, and not just sucking wind. Knowing that I am on a very slight incline really helps to understand my current physiology. I know I could check HR vs power to verify I'm struggling. But the struggle could be caused several factors - dehydration, spending too much too early among other factors including incline.
Perhaps these could be implimented into the Newton.
Bruce
I have read the manual of GenIII again. For me it is not clear whether inclination under 2% is hidden just in the Auto Hill function or all the time. So if you go to the environment data ("Click the right arrow again (enviro screen 2): current hill slope, wind speed, and current elevation are displayed.") can you an inclination of lets say 0.7% or -1.2% ???

And is it the same in Newton as in GenIII?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

You get complete inclination report by pressing the right arrow twice. Slope is indicated in .1 increments and wind is reported in .1 increments also.

If you use the auto hill function then the top number switches from speed to tilt and back if the tilt is over 2.0 or 2.5%, I don't remember which off the top of my head.

Additionally, you can me on the main screen and press the down arrow once that changes the top number to only show slope in .1 increments.
Fernando
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

The threshold is 2.0% in Auto Hill.

Thank you for confirming that there is no threshold in 'normal' slope display.

I am looking forward to the Newton with correctly polarized LCD. I did not want to disagree with John about how many users of iBike wear polarized sunglasses, I really dont know, but what I know is that in the last 18 months I never rode without it. I wear it even in cold and cloudy whether in winter, because I need glasses for vision correction anyway, glases are also good against small insects, and finally I realized that polarization can improve the sharpness of the environment greatly. So why to wear non-polarized sunglasses, huh?
phelgar

Post by phelgar »

Is there an upgrade route for those who purchased Newton with the screen not made for polarized sunglasses? I can't see a thing compared to my old iBike. Rudy project lenses are polarized as a standard.
GWPOS

Post by GWPOS »

I am having an issue where if the sun is shining from behind my left or right shoulder it causes the display to show all of the characters in it, making it really hard to see the data that is actually being displayed. Changing the display contrast etc does not help. My Gen 3 never had this issue. What can be done about this??
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

GWPOS -

You may likely have the misaligned LCD screen - polarization is off by 90 degrees. This could lead to you observation.

Tom
GWPOS

Post by GWPOS »

I can see my data, but I can also see the character mapping in the display when the sun hits it just right, so I see a bunch of 888888's. Like I said I can still see the data numbers its just really hard too.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

GWPOS wrote:I can see my data, but I can also see the character mapping in the display when the sun hits it just right, so I see a bunch of 888888's. Like I said I can still see the data numbers its just really hard too.
Go to User/Yes/LCD and change the default setting of 15 to a lower number.
John Hamann
GWPOS

Post by GWPOS »

I tiried that as I mentioned earlier and it did not make a difference. It only happens whenn the sun hits the unit from behind/over left or right shoulder. I can still see my data but it takes a second to filter out the characters. Unfortunately this becomes a problem if I am climbing because I stay facing the same direction for periods of time. When just riding around it does not bother me because I am usually changing directions enough that I can see it crystal clear most of the time. I'll just have to get used to it????
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

You are likely to have this very same issue with ANY LCD display - it is pretty much what comes with the territory. At some orientation of light and display.

Tom
lungbuster

Post by lungbuster »

Yep, I noticed that too, today. Thought it had reset or something until I look at it from another angle. Not a prob as long as I remember it's not broken.
Regards
Wayne Gebert

http://www.coburgcycling.com.au
Clydeone

Post by Clydeone »

The ability to see current lap data rather then total ride data