New Handlebar and Stem mount for Newton

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

New Handlebar and Stem mount for Newton

Post by Velocomp »

We've told you that we were working on something special for Newton...here it is!

This is a low-profile handlebar/stem mount designed specifically for Newton. How it works is pretty obvious; just rotate the dovetail metal piece to the position you want, then tighten!

We expect availability in June.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-04-19 at 5.30.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-19 at 5.30.28 AM.png (114.25 KiB) Viewed 24636 times
John Hamann
dtrousdale

Re: New Handlebar and Stem mount for Newton

Post by dtrousdale »

Velocomp wrote:We've told you that we were working on something special for Newton...here it is!

This is a low-profile handlebar/stem mount designed specifically for Newton. How it works is pretty obvious; just rotate the dovetail metal piece to the position you want, then tighten!

We expect availability in June.
Now I'm a confused and concerned. I just pre-ordered an iAero trade-up to a Newton+ with a free extra Universal Handlebar Mount, but I had no idea that you would quickly follow the release of the Newton with a mount specifically designed for it. Am I correct in understanding that the Universal Handlebar Mount that I ordered is the same one originally designed for the iDash and other iPhone-based bike computers? I think I just found a picture of the Universal Handlebar Mount. It looks to me that this new Newton-only mount is much better for me than the Universal Handlebar Mount: more elegant and less ungainly than the Universal Handlebar Mount and works either for the handlebar or the steer tube. I do not want inferior mounts for my new Newton+. Can I get new Newton-only mounts instead of the Universal Handlebar Mount if I'm willing to wait to get my Newton+ until the Newton-only mount is ready? What is the difference in price for each type of mount?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We will be completely flexible; we want you to have the mount that works best for you.

The new stem/handlebar mount won't be available until late May.
John Hamann
GWPOS

Post by GWPOS »

What size/diameter of stem will the new style mount fit? How will it be adjustable for different sizes of stems that are smaller/larger than normal.
dtrousdale

Post by dtrousdale »

Velocomp wrote:We will be completely flexible; we want you to have the mount that works best for you.

The new stem/handlebar mount won't be available until late May.
Thanks, John. I really appreciate it. I really like the new design of the mount and am more than willing to wait.
Mamil

Post by Mamil »

Mount looks great!

How can I take advantage of the pre-shipment special order (before 5/1/12) with the Garmin GT capability AND specify this new mount? Perhaps I missed the configuration on the Website... Will the website be updated to include the handlebar and stem mount option?

I am not interested in universal handlebar mount or the stem mount.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

GWPOS wrote:What size/diameter of stem will the new style mount fit? How will it be adjustable for different sizes of stems that are smaller/larger than normal.
Round stem, 32mm, or round handlebars, 31.8 mm
John Hamann
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

Velocomp wrote:
GWPOS wrote:What size/diameter of stem will the new style mount fit? How will it be adjustable for different sizes of stems that are smaller/larger than normal.
Round stem, 32mm, or round handlebars, 31.8 mm
Hi, John,

My handlebars measure 31.8mm in diameter at the stem, then taper down slightly as you move away from the stem toward the grips. Am I correct in assuming that the Universal Mount would be the recommended choice for maximal stability on these bars? Thanks.
jslopez93

Post by jslopez93 »

Does the universal handlebar mount look the same as the one for the ibike dask where it's basically centered as opposed to being mounted on on side of the bar?

I like that concept mostly because the computer would be more forward on the bike.
ldmitruk

Post by ldmitruk »

Is the GenIII rechargable the steer tube mount compatable with the Newton ?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

ldmitruk wrote:Is the GenIII rechargable the steer tube mount compatable with the Newton ?
No.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

jslopez93 wrote:Does the universal handlebar mount look the same as the one for the ibike dask where it's basically centered as opposed to being mounted on on side of the bar?

I like that concept mostly because the computer would be more forward on the bike.
Yes, the Universal Handlebar mount is identical for the Dash and for the Newton.
John Hamann
KenS

Post by KenS »

Velocomp wrote:
ldmitruk wrote:Is the GenIII rechargable the steer tube mount compatable with the Newton ?
No.
John - Isn't the steer tube mount for the GenIII rechargeable was the same as the Dash - the one in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wM2OJvznUA
When I got my GenIII wireless rechargeable mount I had to order the iBike Dash steer tube mount to go with it
So if the Dash and Newton can both fit onto the Universal mount wouldn't they both also fit onto the Dash steer tube mount?
-- Ken
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, the rechargeable mount will slide on to the new Newton mount.

The rechargeable mount will NOT work with the Newton head...
John Hamann
KenS

Post by KenS »

Velocomp wrote:Yes, the rechargeable mount will slide on to the new Newton mount.

The rechargeable mount will NOT work with the Newton head...
Thanks John but what we are really trying to find out is whether the Newton will slide onto the steer tube bracket.
I've assumed it will based on the pictures but if it doesn't for some reason I'll need to change my order to include an additional stem mount
-- Ken
cjonbike

Post by cjonbike »

Is there now a iBike Dash Steer tube mount, and a different iBike Newton steer tube mount? :?

I Thank you for your patience with my confusion, and help!

Chris
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The steer tube mount attaches to---the steer tube of your bike. This mount positions the Newton (or iBike Dash) over the stem.

The new stem/handlebar mount, when set to the stem position, attaches to---the stem of your bike! This also positions your Newton over the stem of your bike.
John Hamann
andrewhk

Post by andrewhk »

John
The new stem mount looks great. I would like to take advantage of the pre may trade in programe for the Newton + but order it with 3 stem mounts (and no other mounts) plus a remote wind sensor. I am happy for everything to be delivered in one go when you have the stem mounts rather than pay extra delivery to Hong Kong for several shipments. Given the stem mount is not an option on the web store yet how do I do that?
Andrew
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If you want to change your pre-order in any way, please email Sandi Peeples at speeples@velocomp.com. She will get everything straightened out with your order.
John Hamann
FelicianoVASA

Post by FelicianoVASA »

Great inovation, simple and practical.
Russ

Post by Russ »

I GUESS I am best off ordering the stem mount for my Cannondale. I just measured the stem diameter at 34.4 mm or 1.356" with a caliper. My handlebar is 32mm under the stem mount and it is doubtful that the amount sticking out before the taper starts is sufficient for the universal mount or the new 31.8/32mm universal handlebar/stem mount.

I assume that the stem mount goes in the stem the same was as the current Gen III stem mount but have not seen that stated.

The spacing between the universal mount clamps also has not been stated, all dimensions being published would ease these decisions.

So I am placing my order for stem mount and a spare universal mount on the form and will be emailing for the universal mount to actually be the new Handlebar and Stem mount as it seems to give me more possibilities for other bikes.

If any of my assumptions seem ill advised, please say what is better for me and I will email for that change.

Thanks,
Russ
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Russ wrote:I GUESS I am best off ordering the stem mount for my Cannondale. I just measured the stem diameter at 34.4 mm or 1.356" with a caliper. My handlebar is 32mm under the stem mount and it is doubtful that the amount sticking out before the taper starts is sufficient for the universal mount or the new 31.8/32mm universal handlebar/stem mount.

I assume that the stem mount goes in the stem the same was as the current Gen III stem mount but have not seen that stated.

The spacing between the universal mount clamps also has not been stated, all dimensions being published would ease these decisions.

So I am placing my order for stem mount and a spare universal mount on the form and will be emailing for the universal mount to actually be the new Handlebar and Stem mount as it seems to give me more possibilities for other bikes.

If any of my assumptions seem ill advised, please say what is better for me and I will email for that change.

Thanks,
Russ
If your stem mount is standard (no fancy beveled edges or tapers) then the Newton stem/handlebar mount should work.
John Hamann
Russ

Post by Russ »

Thanks for the confirmation of the Handlebar and Stem mount suitability. I think there is just enough room at 32mm to the side of the stem to possibly give that a solid base, not sure. The taper is several inches long to a much smaller diameter handlebar.

The smaller diameter is where my bars mount and is probably part of why I had trouble with my weight on the bars torquing to a degree that gave trouble prior to the gen3 stem mount.

I still would like to confirm if the Newton stem mount mounts to the stem the same way as the Gen3 stem mount as that is what I am ordering for the Cannondale.

I am ordering the 2nd mount either form my little used mountain bike which my son currently has and or to bail out my Cannondale, should the stem mount not be suitable.

On a side note, the last few months have been tough but very interesting for me as a cardiologist wanted to put in a pace maker due to a very low heart rate. I managed to find a cardiologist at UVA - Dr. Robert W. Battle, should any be interested, who studies the Athletes Heart. He cleared me to return to full tilt exercise with no pace maker!
Google the Athletes Heart, if you have any issues or curiosity. It would be wise for all aerobic athletes to be savy on this.

I may post more on this later in the training forum.

Thanks,
Russ
GWPOS

Post by GWPOS »

If we want to wait for the new style mount, I understans it will not ship until mid June. Is the price the same or is there an extra charge for the new style mount?
kondrag

Post by kondrag »

Hi John,

I've sent two emails to Sandi requesting an order change for the new stem mount, but haven't received a response. Is there any way to know if my order has been modified?

Velocomp wrote:If you want to change your pre-order in any way, please email Sandi Peeples at speeples@velocomp.com. She will get everything straightened out with your order.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We have been SLAMMED with orders :-)

Sandi is working through everything and will get back to you.
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

SLAMMED with orders is a good thing ... yes? :)

I don't want to change my order but I would like ot know if we could pre-order one of the new low-profile handlebar/stem mount so we can just get it when it's available?

Thanks,

Robert
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

rstrom wrote:SLAMMED with orders is a good thing ... yes? :)

I don't want to change my order but I would like ot know if we could pre-order one of the new low-profile handlebar/stem mount so we can just get it when it's available?

Thanks,

Robert
It's great...unless you are a customer looking for a quick response... :-)

We are working on updating the store so this mount can be ordered. Please check the site regularly.
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

D you think this mount will work on the FSA K-Wing handlebars? The tragic thing about the bars is that they do not have much space near the stem to mount cycling computers (and my stem s a fancy Look one that I KNOW the mount won't work on).

I am considering getting the FSA control center which looks like this:
But I wonder if there is enough space to mount that then maybe there is enough space for your mount?

(may also have to consider the steering tube mount as by plan-C)
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I'm not a big fan of hanging things off other things. I think you're going to be better off with the steering tube mount.
Fernando