At long last, the iBike Newton!

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Post by Velocomp »

phelgar wrote:Will the Newton be compatible with Strava like the iBike Dash with power? In specific will the upcoming way to handle GPS data allow exportation to Strava to view workouts?

Thanks

Gen I, Gen II, Gen III areo
iBike Dash Deluxe, iBike Dash with Power
I believe Strava requires GPS info in order to function. The Newton does not have a GPS receiver built-in. BUT HANG IN THERE; we've got something simple and clever planned that will allow files to be loaded into Strava.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

astroman wrote:Hi John,

If your Newton + works as promised then it is just the power solution I am looking for my road bike, tri bike and trainer. Have given up on the Garmin Vectors.

Am keen to order a Newton + now to take advantage of your incentive, but am unable to add a RWS for use on my tri bike to my shopping cart. Any idea why?

Thanks!
Send us an email with the RWS request and we will process this part manually.
John Hamann
Brodirt

Post by Brodirt »

I apologize if I missed it but I did not see the answer to my first question asked above.

Question 1.
I do not use a DFPM or plan to.
I do not use any other head unit or GPS enabled device.
I do not require any of the on the fly CDA data.
I only use Ibike head unit for all data.
I use a Garmin combined sensor though.
I use a heart rate strap.
I also frequently use my Ibike on my indoor trainer.
I also switch my Ibike from bike to bike, each bike with its own mount and Garmin combined sensor.

I am unsure what is the correct , most economical upgrade path for me to purchase.
I want multiple mounts, garmin sensor compatibility, HR strap compatibility, indoor trainer compatibility and nothing more.
Is it better for me to buy Newton or Newton+ and with which bonus options?

Question 2:
I have a both a Gen III Ibike pro and a Gen III Ibike aero head unit.
The latter is broken. The display does not work.
Can I return this unit to you with my trade in?
I also have many wireless mounts I have purchased in the past. One of which is broken as well. It has a screw broken off and stuck in the mount.
Can I return this unit?
Do I need to return my old original pair of Ibike sensors as well. Not that I use them, but I may have a hard time finding them.

Question 3:
Have you worked out a way to get the Newton working on cross bikes and or mountain bikes?
I would REALLY love to use it during cross racing. Of course I would have to figure out a reliable way to secure the unit and prevent it from getting a dunk :)

Question 4:
Depending on the answer to question 1 above, regarding what options I need, I too think I would like a stem mount as a second mount.
How do I note in my order that I would prefer this option?

Question 4.5:
Will the universal mount straddle the stem or will it sit to the side like the original handlebar mount?

Thanks John and all at Ibike. I was a first Gen purchaser and have followed you on all your upgrade paths. I think you guys produce a very clever product and intend to stay your customer for this reason and for your great customer service! I cant wait to see your solution for GPS!

Question 5:
Did you guys get anything like the WKO+ and Golden Cheetah performance manager in your new software? That feature is the only thing you are missing IMHO. If you included that in the new software then there is little need for 2 or 3 programs...much better for us Mac users!
mttvrtn

TSS?

Post by mttvrtn »

Apologies if this has been covered before, but does the Newton still display TSS like the iAero 3 (might be others too).

Thank you,

Matt
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, TSS, IF, and NP are available.
John Hamann
mttvrtn

Post by mttvrtn »

Velocomp wrote:Yes, TSS, IF, and NP are available.
D'oh, no excuses left. I *have* to upgrade now, John! :D
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Velocomp wrote:
rstrom wrote:As someone else has already pointed out there is no mention of GPS. Is GPS still something that is available with the new unit?

What about if I have the GT feature (I think that is what it's called) that gives me the ability to use the Trek Duotrap sensor? Is this still something that will be possible with this unit?

If so will the unit still ship with the speed and cadence sensors so that I can set everything up on a second bike (it's not a Trek and does not have DuoTrap)?

When we ship back the old unit are you looking for the head, or the entire package of goodies?

How much will the steerer tube mount be if we decide to take shipment of the handlebar mount now and get a steerer tube mount later?

Thanks,

Robert
See responses above regarding GPS and GT key.

The TRADE IN does NOT ship with sensors (you already have them from your prior models).

We want the head and one mount. You keep everything else.

If you pre-order you can get a free stem mount later on.

John,

In this post (quoted above) it says that you only want the head and one mount but on this page - http://www.ibikesports.com/trade-in.html - it states on the bottom

"NOTE: TRADE-IN PROGRAM is for iBike Classic (GEN I, GEN II, GEN III – iSport, iPro or iAero). Power meters must be returned in good condition and be shipped back with the original mount and sensors (wired or wireless). "

Which is it?

Oh .... any update on ship dates? :)

Thanks,

Robert
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

At this point, all we know is that it will be the second half of May.

Honeywell is the culprit.
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

John,

What about the trade-in discrepancy that I asked about in my post above?

Very disappointing news about the delay :cry:

I'm going on vacation for a week the first week of June. That could be a problem depending on when you ship. I would not want it delivered and sitting at my door while I was gone.

Robert
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

rstrom wrote:
Velocomp wrote:
rstrom wrote: John,

In this post (quoted above) it says that you only want the head and one mount but on this page - http://www.ibikesports.com/trade-in.html - it states on the bottom

"NOTE: TRADE-IN PROGRAM is for iBike Classic (GEN I, GEN II, GEN III – iSport, iPro or iAero). Power meters must be returned in good condition and be shipped back with the original mount and sensors (wired or wireless). "

Which is it?

Oh .... any update on ship dates? :)

Thanks,

Robert
The webpage is wrong. We need only the computer head and the mount. Please make sure to KEEP your sensors!

We will correct the webpage.
John Hamann
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

Excellent ... That is what I thought.

Thanks,

Robert
whftherb

Post by whftherb »

@Velocomp - Hi John.

Missed my trip to DRB this year. {Tears flowing} :cry:

Ordered my Newton (and just under the wire...) ;) I may just forego the trade-in.

But hey - Strava - gotta have it. Patience is a virtue...
Were you aware of this thread? http://www.ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php ... ava#p13018

Fern already has apparently something working for his set up.

But - Please please - I know you won't forget us Android users! It's gotta come out as an export from iBike 6.1... Am I close????

Herb
raceace

Post by raceace »

Hi,

I have not been using my ibike pro because it kept getting full of water through the wind port.

Can you confirm if the new Ibike Newton is alot more waterproof or will we again have problems with water getting in via the windport?

Thanks.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We fixed the wind port water ingress issue a long time ago.

Due to further design improvements the Newton should be even more waterproof.
John Hamann
FelicianoVASA

Post by FelicianoVASA »

Anyone have received the new Ibike? :lol:

Just waiting that unit can work with the power pedals...or the cleats by Brim Brothers...by the end of the...
KenS

Post by KenS »

FelicianoVASA wrote:Anyone have received the new Ibike? :lol:
Anyone who has wont have a circuit board inside :P http://www.ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php ... 378#p13055
-- Ken
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

KenS wrote:
FelicianoVASA wrote:Anyone have received the new Ibike? :lol:
Anyone who has wont have a circuit board inside :P http://www.ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php ... 378#p13055
We haven't yet received our boards. It's looking like we will begin shipping right at the end of the month.
John Hamann
djconnel

Post by djconnel »

On the "something clever"....

You have distance and acceleration and vertical orientation and altitude. A gyroscope as well? Gyroscopes aren't free, but cheaper than GPS, both power and dollar cost. If you've got a gyroscope you've got rate of change of orientation. It's a bit hard to take these numbers, integrate, and get reliable position. So maybe you've also got an on-line roads database and you're willing to constrain paths to that. This creates issues for going off-road: not just extended trails but even parking lots, driveways, etc. It would be quite challenging. Altitude would help provide a clue, but it needs to work everywhere, including the Salt Flats, so altitude can't be a necessary component.

There's obvious errors associated with integrating imperfect signals but then GPS has issues as well. In particular, for very short Strava segments using distance instead of position could well be superior... the longer the distance, the less relevant GPS's short-time "noise" and the more relevant the errors from trying to intuit position. Very interesting....
djconnel

Post by djconnel »

Okay -- so I just realized since this is post-processing and doesn't need to be done on the fly user could use a UI to generate an arbitrary number of "anchor points" with Google Maps API to minimize interpolation so if algorithm becomes confused data can be corrected by addition of constraints. Still think you want a gyroscope... too difficult for real-world riding without a direction signal.
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

"2) We are using latest-generation digital sensors throughout (wind, baro, and accelerometer). Compared to prior iBike analog sensors, new digital sensors are MUCH more accurate and immune to temperature changes."

i) I missed that point earlier. What about other sensors like that being responsible for the slope, I mean inclinometer? Are these identical to those in GenIII?

ii) And out of curiosity is there a doc or post somewhere, which precisely list the hardware parts of an iBike GenIII or Newton? I am not looking for some secrets, just the list of sensors and the functions/data they are responsible for.

iii) If one orders directly from Velocomp as of today the delivered Newton is with the proper display, which it works correctly with polarized sunglasses or one has to be still careful, because you are assembling Newtons using the same first set of displays, which polarize in the wrong dimension?

Thanks!

Zoltan
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Zoltan wrote:"2) We are using latest-generation digital sensors throughout (wind, baro, and accelerometer). Compared to prior iBike analog sensors, new digital sensors are MUCH more accurate and immune to temperature changes."

i) I missed that point earlier. What about other sensors like that being responsible for the slope, I mean inclinometer? Are these identical to those in GenIII?

ii) And out of curiosity is there a doc or post somewhere, which precisely list the hardware parts of an iBike GenIII or Newton? I am not looking for some secrets, just the list of sensors and the functions/data they are responsible for.

iii) If one orders directly from Velocomp as of today the delivered Newton is with the proper display, which it works correctly with polarized sunglasses or one has to be still careful, because you are assembling Newtons using the same first set of displays, which polarize in the wrong dimension?

Thanks!

Zoltan
All sensors, including accelerometer, have been converted from analog to digital. All sensors are different from Gen III

The key sensors are a barometric pressure sensor, wind pressure sensor, accelerometer, and speed sensor

Most cyclists use non polarized sunglasses. We will begin shipping a polarized-glass version of the Newton in mid July.
John Hamann
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Thanks for the straightforward answers. After your post I found out that one section of the GenIII manual tells that slope is measured by the accelerometer. I guessed at first glance that an accelerometer in itself cant measure the slope, but if speed data are used than one has two acceleration data and iBike can figure out the slope (the tilt) from the difference between them.

But after a more thorough reading I spotted that the slope is very accurate if there is no acceleration, while there is a much worse accuracy durin acceleration. So implicitly it says that the accelerometer of iBike works in a different way then I supposed.

Is there any good reference to understand how accelerometers measure slopes and acceleration in itself?
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

Thanks John, O am one of those riders who wears polarized sunglasses.

My unit also has a fairly minor flaw in the LCD panel. The small number on the top panel doesn't display properly.

Will they be replacing just the glass, or the entire LCD panel?
rruff

Post by rruff »

Zoltan wrote:But after a more thorough reading I spotted that the slope is very accurate if there is no acceleration, while there is a much worse accuracy durin acceleration. So implicitly it says that the accelerometer of iBike works in a different way then I supposed.
I would guess that determining the slope during an acceleration is more challenging. The power calculation is probably good though, since the iBike doesn't need to separate slope from acceleration to determine that.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

ScottChapman wrote:Thanks John, O am one of those riders who wears polarized sunglasses.

My unit also has a fairly minor flaw in the LCD panel. The small number on the top panel doesn't display properly.

Will they be replacing just the glass, or the entire LCD panel?
Entire LCD
John Hamann
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Zoltan wrote:Thanks for the straightforward answers. After your post I found out that one section of the GenIII manual tells that slope is measured by the accelerometer. I guessed at first glance that an accelerometer in itself cant measure the slope, but if speed data are used than one has two acceleration data and iBike can figure out the slope (the tilt) from the difference between them.

But after a more thorough reading I spotted that the slope is very accurate if there is no acceleration, while there is a much worse accuracy durin acceleration. So implicitly it says that the accelerometer of iBike works in a different way then I supposed.

Is there any good reference to understand how accelerometers measure slopes and acceleration in itself?
I didnt suppose that we are speaking about accelerometers which measures the normal Earth gravity, so acceleration in3 dimensions. To be very smple I was just ignorant regarding what an accelerometer really meant.
Now I understood how they can measure tilts, moreover I found a nice doc about it: http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICA ... 268887.pdf

But I still think that speed data read from the speed sensor are needed to measure the bicycle's acceleration in order to "clean" the data measured by the accelerometer. Otherwise there would not be tilt measurement nowhere when accelerating
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

Any word on the replacement LCDs with polarization at 90 degrees?

Thanks in advance!
dtrousdale

Post by dtrousdale »

After using my Newton since I received it, here are my issues with the display:

1. Biggest disappointment: I'm another person who wears polarized sun glasses. I can only see the data on the Newton screen display when I lean to look at it very indirectly or when sunlight rarely strikes it at a certain angle. Otherwise it is totally invisible. I once had a similar problem with my Garmin Edge 800, but I got new prescription lenses with lighter shading but still polarized, and now I can see the Edge 800 perfectly. Also I could see the data on my traded-in iAero perfectly with both my old and my new polarized prescription lenses, so it seems to me as though you changed the screen display significantly when you developed the Newton. I certainly would have thought twice about trading in my old iAero which I could see just fine for a supposed new and improved product that is almost useless to me when riding using the very same sun glasses.

2. Semi-minor nit: When doing Coast-Downs, horizontal lines making up the number "2" in the center data field often disappear. This does concern me in that it might represent an internal defect that could get worse unless you can assure me that it is a bug that will be fixed.

3. Minor nit: The last screen when pressing the Left Arrow (Totals) has no label like all the other screens. I'm assuming the screen data represents the total number of hours the unit has been used since the last reset.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Polarized screens are on the way. We have a supplier who needed three tries to get right what they did ten thousand times with the gen iii.
John Hamann