At long last, the iBike Newton!

bjrmd

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Post by bjrmd »

How do you order the RWS for the newton?

Any trade in for the RWS from the gen 3?

Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The Newton's RWS is identical to the iDash.

At the present time we don't have any promotions running with the iDash/Newton RWS.
John Hamann
KenS

Post by KenS »

Velocomp wrote:
KenS wrote:Is the steer tube mount the same as for the Gen III rechargeable wireless mount?
No, the mount is a completely new system.
Velocomp wrote:
cjonbike wrote:<snip>
2) If I wanted extra steer tube mounts! Do I order the one for the dash?
<snip>
<snip>
2) Yes, the iDash steer tube mount is compatible.
<snip>
Just looking for some more clarification on the steer tube mount. I've got the Gen III Rechargeable wireless and got the Dash Steer Tube Mount http://www.ibikesports.com/detail.aspx?ID=95 to mount it on extra bikes. So is that mount compatible with the Newton?
-- Ken
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

John Hamann wrote:

No, the mount is a completely new system.

No, the Newton uses a new mounting system, identical to the iBike Dash.

We don't yet have images of the new stem mount.

The Crossfin design has a tab (green in the photo but will be clear in real-life) is removable. It makes a remarkable improvement in wind sensor performance.
John ... is the mount completely new (different but compatible with the iBike Dash) or is it the same as the iBike Dash?

There is a page for the Dash mount in the store but there is no picture.

I have looked high and low for a picture of the Dash steerer tube mount and there does not seem to be one anywhere. That unit has been for sale for a while; I would really like to see a picture of the steerer tube and the handlebar mounts .... pleeeeaaassseeee ....

Can you please elaborate on the Crossfin design? Why is it removable? Why would you want it in? Why would you not want it in?

Thanks,

Robert
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We will need to take some photos of the steer tube mount.

There is a new stem mount (different from the steer tube mount) coming for the Newton. We will have images soon.

The Crossfin is removable/reinsertable so that the iDash RWS can be inserted for TT applications. I love how it works, so I use it all the time!
John Hamann
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

As a iAero owner I have already paid a premium for the extra functionality over the standard iPro, are there any additional discounts for iAero owners when upgrading to a Newton + ? Also, when sending back the old head unit and mount for the trade-in, does it need to be a wireless mount or can I send back my original Wired Mount?

Many Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Everything about the Newton is new, and we need to recover the real costs of our this new product.

Also, we need to keep the trade-in program administratively simple. This is why we have a flat $200 trade-in discount.

As long as you include an iBike mount, it does not make what difference whether it is wired or wireless.
John Hamann
Stevel

Post by Stevel »

I have a Trek Speed Concept that I would like to mount the Newton on, to use with a DFPM for aero testing. As the Speed Concept has neither a conventional stem or bars, I'm not sure how I would mount it?
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

There was some discussion on the previous thread (from the interbike announcement) regarding GPS recording, I assume that functionality got dropped?
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

ScottChapman wrote:There was some discussion on the previous thread (from the interbike announcement) regarding GPS recording, I assume that functionality got dropped?
John mentioned the GPS chip was dropped from the production unit, but they figured out a way of getting free GPS? Don't keep us waiting too long, I'm very interested to hear what this could be. Maybe merging a google maps route with a ride file after the fact in the Isaac software or something more elegant?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Stevel wrote:I have a Trek Speed Concept that I would like to mount the Newton on, to use with a DFPM for aero testing. As the Speed Concept has neither a conventional stem or bars, I'm not sure how I would mount it?
We learned years ago that it's impossible to design a mount that works with 100% of the bikes out there. I don't know this model, but you might be able to custom design an adapter that would integrate with your bike. Please contact Tom Gore at tore@velocomp.com to discuss further.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Morocco Mole wrote:
ScottChapman wrote:There was some discussion on the previous thread (from the interbike announcement) regarding GPS recording, I assume that functionality got dropped?
John mentioned the GPS chip was dropped from the production unit, but they figured out a way of getting free GPS? Don't keep us waiting too long, I'm very interested to hear what this could be. Maybe merging a google maps route with a ride file after the fact in the Isaac software or something more elegant?
Please, let us get Newton out there!

You're on the right track...
John Hamann
jayt

Post by jayt »

John,

Here is a suggestion that would be a customer delighter for me and maybe a few others. I will probably purchase the Newton + because I want the extra memory; however, I have no value for the trainer add on (I use a CompuTrainer) and very little value for the Cda add on (yes, I have an Aero Gen II, but found the Cda to be of little value). I do have great value for the GT add on. So, how about a configuration of the Newton + that has the GT option (for the same $599 too), but no Cda or indoor trainer add on? It appears you can turn all of these options off and on via a software switch, so it becomes a configuration option.

Would anyone else like such an option?

I appreciate that you offer the customer trade in option, but having to buy the GT option again is a bit of a bummer.
cjonbike

Post by cjonbike »

I would Love to trade the CDA and the trainer option, for the GT! Please! I would then order the Newton + !

And 1 more question!

In comparing the 2. the Newton says up to 160 hours of battery riding time, the Newton + says it has up to 250 hours! Does the Newton + have a bigger battery, or is it more efficient?

Chris
bjrmd

Post by bjrmd »

Would the new air duct fin design be more accurate than using a RWS?
I imagine the fin comes out if a RWS is used.
FelicianoVASA

Post by FelicianoVASA »

I like the trainer option...but no Cda...well i can train without.

Some sugestions:

The backlight or screen light will be very good. I ride MBT at night and that feature will improve the value of the Newton.
More waterproof on the top screen will be good.
Only three display sections with a bigger screen is poor...A totally redesign LCD will be the anwser to check ex: Power or HR zones, etc. No one check that instant power bar, because it can distrat you from traffic.
I sugest open a new topic where the costumers and owners can discuss possible improvements on Newton...
KenS

Post by KenS »

Can I obtain the GT upgrade at a later date? I'm assuming I can but want to be sure.
Right now I have the iSport and use the GT option to record and download the power data, but if I get the Newton I probably wont need to do that.
-- Ken
rcmaps

Post by rcmaps »

John
Are you intending to make the ISAAC software available to all iBike users or is this only for Newton?
I'm thinking that this is probably an evolution from the "Boyd in a Box" or Tools-Check Calibration option in Ver 6.1.2

Thanks
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

rcmaps wrote:John
Are you intending to make the ISAAC software available to all iBike users or is this only for Newton?
I'm thinking that this is probably an evolution from the "Boyd in a Box" or Tools-Check Calibration option in Ver 6.1.2

Thanks
Link to some info on the ISAAC software here http://www.ibikesports.com/isaac.html

Isaac works with ALL iBike power meters – iBike NEWTON or iBike DASH+POWER and will accept any iBike ride file, from any generation iBike.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

KenS wrote:Can I obtain the GT upgrade at a later date? I'm assuming I can but want to be sure.
Right now I have the iSport and use the GT option to record and download the power data, but if I get the Newton I probably wont need to do that.
Yes, keys are just like before...
John Hamann
cjonbike

Post by cjonbike »

And 1 more question!

In comparing the 2. the Newton says it has up to 160 hours of battery riding time, the Newton + says it has up to 250 hours! Does the Newton + have a bigger battery, or is it more efficient?
jayt

Post by jayt »

John,

I for one am excited about the new Newton and Newton+. I have had a bit of sticker shock, but hey that is life. Could you comment on the possibility of a Newton+GT version? It seems that you have offered that in the past on the Gen III devices.

Thanks
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Thanks to previous releases on new iBike designs, I have two iBike units. In trading one for a Newton+, I would still retain the GT and Trainer capabilities in the older model. I would much prefer to get the Newton(+) and have GT capabilities as the GPS an other Garmin features supplement even the Newton(+).

What is yet clear to me is the situation with the mount - the universal mount hangs over the center of the handle bar on both sides - while the steerer replaces the cap for the normal steerer cap with the adapter. A few GOOD pictures would really help as I have yet to see anything that really illustrates both.

Fo Me, the GT variation is the most desired, but I would also want details that truly differentiate the Newton from the Newton+ from the iBikeIII and even the iAero (which I have no need of as I will never own any of the power metering systems beyond an iBike (i.e., DFPMs). I have sensors and I have a Garmin, I have another iBike that will be more than adequate for the trainer.

How will the new unit improve on wind scaling, vibration, tilt? Will I actually be able to ride 50 miles and not have the wind zeroing remain stable - so that a calibration check is not influenced by the "ZERO" drift.

I think a review of the significant gripes in the forum and how the Newton addresses (or NOT) the preponderance of gripes is what may influence me to pop for a Newton.

Thanks

Tom
Galego

Post by Galego »

ldmitruk wrote:For those of us living outside of the U.S. will we get a couple extra days on the return shipping deadline of 10 days?
John, is it possible to have a little more days for us living outside the US?

Thanks,
---
Specialized Roubaix Comp
Galego
Stevel

Post by Stevel »

John, one more question about the GT key. I don't need the feature of the Newton sending power to a Garmin. But I would like to use my existing 3rd party ANT+ speed/cadence sensors. Do I need the GT key to use 3rd party ANT+ sensors or is that functionality built in to the Newton as standard?
blp

Post by blp »

If the GT firmware is unique to the Newton, is the Trainer firmware the same thing, or can I use Trainer firmware from the G3? If yes, I can use G3 Trainer, is there a method of de-authorizing the G3 and applying the key to the Newton?

Also, I think it might have been mentioned earlier, could Velocomp bundle the GT and Trainer into a Newton bundle similar to the iPro GT and iAero GT?

Thanks
blp

Post by blp »

After reading Stevel's question, I re-read the Newton description, and it does appear that an ANT+ receiver is built into the Newton. If that is the case, the GT firmware must be for send only. Is that correct? If so, will the new GT firmware still sell for $99?

As you can tell, I am trying to figure out the true upgrade cost to Newton or Newton+ with ANT+ send/receive and trainer firmware.

Thanks again.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

blp wrote:After reading Stevel's question, I re-read the Newton description, and it does appear that an ANT+ receiver is built into the Newton. If that is the case, the GT firmware must be for send only. Is that correct? If so, will the new GT firmware still sell for $99?

As you can tell, I am trying to figure out the true upgrade cost to Newton or Newton+ with ANT+ send/receive and trainer firmware.

Thanks again.
Newton most definitely has the ANT+ receiver built in and will work with your existing speed\cadence\HR accessories including 3rd party (garmin,bontrager etc). In fact it also has ANT+ send hardware, but this capability is locked until you apply the GT Firmware. The only question I still have is does the Newton have the ability to operate as a DFPM headunit, and is it just the CDA capabilities that are unlocked in the Newton+
JOHN WALKER

Re: BATTERIES RECHARGEABLE

Post by JOHN WALKER »

1: recharge of batteries at the main unit, what about re-charge batteries for the combined sensors.

2: did I read on an earlier topic when announcing the new i Bike - now Newton , that one could
stay with iBike 111 and simply upgrade to rechargeable battery unit. this is not the
re-charge unit that cost about $160.

John
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The sensor batteries are unchanged; you'll change them about once a year.

Yes, there is a rechargeable wireless mount for the Gen III. This is NOT the iBike Newton!
John Hamann