Is it possible to turn auto-pause off?

PepeM

Is it possible to turn auto-pause off?

Post by PepeM »

Hello,

Is it possible to set up the Newton so that it doesn't auto pause when I stop? If not, is there any chance of getting this option in the future? Thanks.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Is it possible to turn auto-pause off?

Post by Velocomp »

I'm not sure why you would want this. With auto pause off there would be huge chunks of wasted memory whenever you stop pedaling.
John Hamann
PepeM

Post by PepeM »

Useful for certain metrics, like W'.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

OK, I give. What's W'?
John Hamann
Pete

Post by Pete »

Velocomp wrote:OK, I give. What's W'?
How many 'matches' left in the tank.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24509723

Newton could be the first head unit to display it in real time, if you catered for it.
Although you'd need to get up to speed with the latest 'models' etc
There is a similar concept named FRC in WKO
PepeM

Post by PepeM »

Yes, what Pete said basically. It is also a good metric to judge your workouts. If you were supposed to do all out intervals, for example, it could help you determine whether you really gave it your all or backed off too early. Same with FTP tests. Obviously not a perfect model but it looks quite promising. It takes into account recovery time though, and when your recording autopauses, it assumes you just kept going instead of standing there for a minute or two recovering, which leads to erroneous results. That is why having the possibility to turn auto-pause off could be useful for some. Also, as Pete mentioned, having W' displayed would be an excellent feature that I hope to see soon on a head unit, preferably on the Newton.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Auto-pause is probably most relevant to calculations of "best effort for duration".

If you are doing an effort but are interrupted by traffic lights or whatever then your efforts either side of the stop should be split (or averaged down) by the time you are stopped for.

I once was credited with a best 20min effort on a hill climb during which we had been stopped 3/4 way up for roadworks. I had to manually split the ride to ensure I didn't load a 'false best' into my history.

John, these issues with auto-pause come into play mostly when loading rides into 3rd party applications to track history.
If Isaac had functions to report metrics of rider history you would become more aware of the implications

However perhaps a solution lies in the fact that in the CSV output file from Isaac, the "moving time" is always sequential seconds
You can see where there are jumps in the "time stamp" column, that the "moving time" is still sequential
Now whilst "moving time" conceptually is the time you are actually moving for, it gets used by 3rd party applications (eg GC) as the 'ride duration'.
Perhaps changing the "moving time" in the CSV output to be the elapsed time (in seconds) since the start would create the desired outcome, without extra memory whatsoever? Would there be any negatives to doing this? Perhaps this change is what the user could have control of?

Ideally there would be some sort of manual control. If we're having a half hour coffee stop I may manually pause it.... if I remember.
Memory and battery are really a non-issue given you can record quite a few rides on Hi-def setting.
I'd think most users would upload & delete regularly so would not have issues.
For those that need to store more rides, they can have auto-pause ON.

Pete
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

PepeM wrote:Yes, what Pete said basically. It is also a good metric to judge your workouts. If you were supposed to do all out intervals, for example, it could help you determine whether you really gave it your all or backed off too early. Same with FTP tests. Obviously not a perfect model but it looks quite promising. It takes into account recovery time though, and when your recording autopauses, it assumes you just kept going instead of standing there for a minute or two recovering, which leads to erroneous results. That is why having the possibility to turn auto-pause off could be useful for some. Also, as Pete mentioned, having W' displayed would be an excellent feature that I hope to see soon on a head unit, preferably on the Newton.
Fully, fully, fully agreed.

I had the same problem with Cycleops/Powertap Joule GPS, earlier with Joule 2.0 and sent some emails to Saris that it is quite a big trap that Joule devices use Peak Power over different times like 5 sec as real time metrics, but one can hack them unintentionally due to stops when auto pause kicks in.

As I could realize they abandoned the problem for Joule 2.0, but solved it for Joule GPS presumably using time stamps getting from GPS. Alas Newton has no GPS, but it has an internal clock, so even with keeping auto pause Isaac could add zero watts for the seconds during auto stops in order to get proper peak power data in Isaac.

Eliminating auto pause would be a must only if there were peak power numbers in Newton. I mean realtime ones.