Using Cycleops Powercal

blp

Using Cycleops Powercal

Post by blp »

I am considering getting a Cycleops Powercal for my winter bike. The Newton really doesn't like a lot of rain, especially a paceline in the rain.

I had a Powercal in the past, and over a long ride, the numbers are close. My winter rides are more recovery and base building.

To set up the Newton 5 to record/display the Powercal, do I use the DFPM "On" in setup?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Using Cycleops Powercal

Post by Velocomp »

Hold on to your money for a few days. We will be announcing something very shortly...
John Hamann
BruceK

Post by BruceK »

Velocomp wrote:Hold on to your money for a few days. We will be announcing something very shortly...
John, I too would like to know how to pair a PowerCal to a Newton (or Gen 3 iBike). I have merged PowerCal data in Isaac with Gen 3 data for comparison purposes. The PowerCal data can be quite similar to the iBike on endurance rides.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I believe the PowerCal transmits its "power" data over ANT+. Assuming it does, do a Scan and it will pair as a DFPM.

I've seen PowerCal data. Saying that it is similar to real power data over endurance rides is like saying the high temperature in New York City, averaged over a one year period, is about 60F. That may be a true statement, but it is not meaningful...
John Hamann
BruceK

Post by BruceK »

Velocomp wrote:I believe the PowerCal transmits its "power" data over ANT+. Assuming it does, do a Scan and it will pair as a DFPM.

I've seen PowerCal data. Saying that it is similar to real power data over endurance rides is like saying the high temperature in New York City, averaged over a one year period, is about 60F. That may be a true statement, but it is not meaningful...
John, the math behind the PowerCal derives useful "power" data in terms of consistent average and normalized power "after the fact" on endurance rides However, the displayed "power" during a ride is too erratic to be immediately helpful. Likewise, cardiac drift (especially during hot & humid summer days) has also proven to be an issue (at least for me) as the data in the second half of a ride demonstrates a higher power output. In reality, my heart rate is going up and my power is going down. Dehydration and fatigue do affect heart rate and therefore "power" data from the PowerCal.

I do find it interesting that PowerCal data is also quite similar to the trainer "virtual power" on my Gen III (with a CycleOps Jet Fluid Pro) . Therefore, I see no reason to dismiss the PowerCal as a device that is not useful at this point in time.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

My tone might have been a bit over the top (sorry!), but you've outlined yourself why PowerCal data has very limited usefulness.
John Hamann
ldmitruk

Post by ldmitruk »

BruceK wrote:
Velocomp wrote:I believe the PowerCal transmits its "power" data over ANT+. Assuming it does, do a Scan and it will pair as a DFPM.

John, the math behind the PowerCal derives useful "power" data in terms of consistent average and normalized power "after the fact" on endurance rides However, the displayed "power" during a ride is too erratic to be immediately helpful. Likewise, cardiac drift (especially during hot & humid summer days) has also proven to be an issue (at least for me) as the data in the second half of a ride demonstrates a higher power output. In reality, my heart rate is going up and my power is going down. Dehydration and fatigue do affect heart rate and therefore "power" data from the PowerCal.

I do find it interesting that PowerCal data is also quite similar to the trainer "virtual power" on my Gen III (with a CycleOps Jet Fluid Pro) . Therefore, I see no reason to dismiss the PowerCal as a device that is not useful at this point in time.
I don't think using heart to measure power is going to produce good results over time. I find when my fitness levels drop, such as after I had a bad accident and was off for at least a couple of monts, my heart rate will start to rise for a given effort compared to when I was healthy. How is the PowerCal suppose to take that into account let alone the situations you just described.

Cheers!
BruceK

Post by BruceK »

ldmitruk wrote:
BruceK wrote:

I don't think using heart to measure power is going to produce good results over time. I find when my fitness levels drop, such as after I had a bad accident and was off for at least a couple of monts, my heart rate will start to rise for a given effort compared to when I was healthy. How is the PowerCal suppose to take that into account let alone the situations you just described.

Cheers!
It is not necessary for me to justify my experience using a PowerCal and the two years of data I have accumulated with it in comparison to my Gen 3 data. I would suggest that if you are curious and/or have questions, just go out and buy a PowerCal (they are inexpensive) and experiment for yourself. At the very least you will end up with a decent ant+ heart rate strap ;-) And no, I am in no way affiliated with Saris.
blp

Post by blp »

Velocomp wrote:Hold on to your money for a few days. We will be announcing something very shortly...
Anything more you can tease us with?
BruceK

Post by BruceK »

blp

Post by blp »

Anything further John?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

blp wrote:
Anything further John?
Eurobike...
John Hamann
blp

Post by blp »

That's September isn't it?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

August 26...