iBike Newton+ first time setup

GeorgeHotopan

iBike Newton+ first time setup

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Dear all:

My name is George Roberto Hotopan and I am a new member of the ibikeforum and an enthusiast amateur cyclist. I take this opportunity to also present myself and say hi to everyone!

I started reading through the different posts on the forum and there are some amazing features behind this product, which show how much R&D power has been invested. It's just impressive :)! I speak of experience, having a M.Sc. in Engineering and soon to become a Doctor (Ph.D.) in the same field, so I can imagine the effort that has been put into the computational algorithms and the physical implementation of the unit as it is today. Bravo iBike!!!

To jump straight to the point, I decided to go for the Newton + and I am soon to receive a unit.I can't wait to own the iBike Newton +. I know that there is a learning curve in training with power and getting to correctly use the iBike, but I am sure that with all the information you are willingly sharing, there is nothing to worry about.

Meanwhile I wait for my Newton + to arrive, I have one dillema and I hope some of you can offer me a feedback on that. The official dealer in Spain I have contacted told me that the unit comes with the penultimate version of the software. In this regard it will probably not have neither the latest Isaac software, nor the latest FW. Consequently, which of the following procedures, I have thought of, should I use in order to properly set-up the unit from the begining:

1. Download and install latest version of Isaac ---> download and install FW5 (if required)----> do the Cal Ride-----> fine-tune Cal Ride within Isaac-----> send profile to iBike (by the way, I assume it sends the tuned profile to Profile1 in Newton, which is the default profile used)

or

2. Do the Cal Ride-----> fine-tune Cal Ride within Isaac----> send profile to iBike -----> install latest version of Isaac ---> download and install FW5 (if required)

I believe the first option to be more adequate (especially in case the Newton does not come with FW5) but I wait for your opinion.

Many thanks guys!

George.

PS: if there is a different and better option, please let me know
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: iBike Newton+ first time setup

Post by Velocomp »

While waiting for your Newton+ to arrive, you can download and install the latest version of Isaac on your computer. Make sure to follow all the installation instructions.

If you're installing Isaac on a Mac, BEFORE starting the Isaac installation process BE SURE to click on your Apple icon, then go to System Preferences/Security&Privacy/General...and set the radio button in the "Allow apps downloaded from" screen to "Anywhere". See below for the way your security setting should be.

Once your Newton arrives, plug it in to your computer, charge its battery fully, then launch Isaac. You should see a green box appear around the USB icon, indicating that the Newton is communicating with your computer.

I would check that FW 5 is installed (Device/S-N and FW version), prior to beginning any additional setup.

Using Isaac you can provide your bike/rider data prior to doing any calibration. Use Device/Setup Newton...

If you want highest accuracy, select "Best Accuracy" on the final screen of Setup Newton. Then, do your Cal Ride. Your Newton will be accurately dialed-in, and you won't have to do anything additional in Isaac.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 8.47.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 8.47.47 AM.png (145.01 KiB) Viewed 11093 times
John Hamann
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Hello John:

That is great. Thanks for all the detailed information. And you got that right, I do have a Mac, so the security hint is going to be useful.
I will proceed as sugested.

Many thanks!

George.
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Hello John:

While waiting for my Newton+ unit, I downloaded the latest version of Isaac for Mac from Ibike website and installed the software. Nevertheless, when mounting the .dmg installation file I only drag and drop the ibike icon in Applications folder to install the app (the usual routine in Mac OS). What I do not see are the steps 2,3 and 4 that are in page 8 of the instructions manual (http://www.ibikesports.com/wp-content/u ... 14_red.pdf), and which correspond to:

2. Silicon Labs USB driver--->Drag&Drop onto Desktop
3. Install "NI Visa Runtime" and Reboot
4. Run "Silicon Labs USB Driver installer" from the Desktop

Are these steps not required anymore ? Are the drivers and the National Instruments Runtime embeded in the .dmg file of Isaac, and everything is installed behind the scenes?

I want to mention that I use Mac OS X Yosemite!

Waiting for your answer, receive my best regards,

George.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The installation process is now easier. Launch Isaac. You should then see messages pop-up, telling you to install the NI VISA drivers, then reboot, then the Si Labs drivers, then reboot.

If you don't automatically see messages telling you to continue the driver installation process, then after launching Isaac go to "Device/Install Drivers..." This will start the driver installation process.

Let us know if it works for you.
John Hamann
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Thank you John for the promptness as always!
I am at work now, as soon as I get home I will try and let you know.

Regards,

George.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Isaac software instructions, available elsewhere on ibikeforum, have been updated to reflect the simpler method for installing Isaac for Mac.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

GeorgeHotopan wrote:Thank you John for the promptness as always!
I am at work now, as soon as I get home I will try and let you know.

Regards,

George.
More installation details here:

http://www.ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php ... 581#p17581
John Hamann
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Dear John:

Thank you for providing the extra information. I have installed Isaac 3 on my Mac, apparently with no issues whatsoever. I followed the steps as suggested, and as follows:

1. Install Isaac 3
2. Launch Isaac 3
----here, a status showing "Processing PowerStroke data..." appeared
3. Enter in Device and Install drivers
3.1 Install National Instruments (NI) VISA driver. The "lipo command" window popped-up, and as suggested, I selected "Not now".
3.2 Reboot and relaunch Isaac 3
3.3 Install Silicon USB drivers
3.4 Reboot and relaunch Isaac 3.

4. This step was not covered, but when opening the Isaac it asks you to connect the Newton power meter. As I did not have it connected (still waiting for it to arrive), I selected to close the window and another one popped-up, which I attach. In the window that popped-up I selected in the end "I'm sure, close". I also tried the other option ("Continue driver installation"), but as I did not have the Newton connected it would do nothing.... so in the end I went with "I'm sure, close". I imagine, that once the Newton is connected for the first time, some final setup configuration is going to be performed to complete the process.

Please confirm me John if what I did in Step 4 was right.

Thank you and have a nice weekend!

George.
Attachments
ScreenShot 2015-02-15 at 10.44.46.png
ScreenShot 2015-02-15 at 10.44.46.png (270.45 KiB) Viewed 11003 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Everything should be OK. When you receive your Newton, turn it on and connect it to your computer as shown. You should see a green box around the USB icon, indicating that your Newton is communicating with Isaac.
John Hamann
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Thanks a lot John!
Can't wait to receive the unit and try it! I will also keep you posted on the FW version.

George.
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Dear John:

I have created a profile in the iBike Newton+ 5 using Isaac 3.0.

I am about to do a Cal Ride when the weather will allow me. Once I perform the Cal Ride, and open that ride in Isaac, in the advanced tab of the profile menu will I need to recur to "Get from device" function for Cm, Aero Calcs and Fric Calcs? Or is it that when I connect the Newton first time after the Cal Ride is performed, it automatically rewrites and saves those features(Cm, Aero Calcs and Fric Calcs) in Isaac?

Attached there are two screen shoots of the basic and advanced features of the profile, before the Cal Ride. I don't see anything out of the order.

Best regards,

George.
Attachments
Advanced-NewtonProfile.png
Advanced-NewtonProfile.png (113.08 KiB) Viewed 10931 times
Basic-NewtonProfile.png
Basic-NewtonProfile.png (98.16 KiB) Viewed 10931 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

After performing your Cal Ride your profile stored in Newton will be updated automatically. If you want that profile also to be stored in Isaac, then download the Cal Ride. Open the Edit Profile window, then click on "Get from Ride File."
John Hamann
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Thank you John!
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

I just did the calibration ride. Please let me know if it's seems ok or not. I attach 3 files: first is prior to the calibration until reaching the road where I did the calibration, the second is the calibration itself and the last is after the calibration.

The only thing peculiar I see is that the altitude profile of the calibration ride is not perfectly symmetrical. Even though I took as reference a yellow house, and while riding back on the return part of the calibration ride the newton flashed cal ride done just at the same spot where I initially started the cal ride.

So what do you think about the cal ride and the numbers? The average power after the cal ride is 148W (I believe it's on the low side but then again this ride is mostly downhill where I stopped pedalling, so it would make sense for the average power to be lower).

Thanks and waiting for your opinion!
Attachments
iBike_02_27_2015_1647_6_Miles.ibr
(63.93 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
iBike_02_27_2015_1638_2_Miles_CalRide.ibr
(39.33 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
iBike_02_27_2015_1604_6_Miles.ibr
(100.66 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Also do I need to send the newly update profile to Newton or Isaac automatically sent it when I saved the cal ride? How can I tell if Newton is using the updated profile? Attached I post a screenshot.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 17.43.32.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 17.43.32.png (492.59 KiB) Viewed 10836 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Everything updates automatically after the cal ride.

If you want to convince yourself of this, after your next ride go to Edit/Edit profiles, and "get from ride file" You'll see that it will tell you that your profile has already been already been saved.
John Hamann
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Thank you John! I'm good to go then!