Lower watts than expected and no cadence reported

mahanska

Lower watts than expected and no cadence reported

Post by mahanska »

I'm hoping that my first hard workout doesn't truly reflect the wattage that was displayed. In addition, the only thing that showed up in the display was calories...no sign of cadence.

Based on some things I've read on the forums, I'm hoping that the reason is that the cadence sensor was a bit too far away from the pedal. I just moved it about as close as it can be without touching, and hope that my next ride will represent my output better.

Please tell me it was because the cadence was just a bit too far away. :?
mahanska

Re: Lower watts than expected and no cadence reported

Post by mahanska »

Additionally, the power read much, much lower when I was heading into a wind and much higher when riding with the wind. I'm using the tt mount and remote wind sensor. I was definitely putting a really hard effort into the wind. Why would the watt display be so much lower?
KenS

Post by KenS »

Please post your ride file.
If you were getting power readings it was not a problem with your cadence sensor
-- Ken
mahanska

Post by mahanska »

Here it is
Attachments
iBike_08_22_2014_0906_28_Miles.ibr
(59.69 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
mahanska

Post by mahanska »

I mentioned that the power numbers seemed to be much lower than my effort.
KenS

Post by KenS »

Looking at that it does look like a problem with your cadence sensor.
There are other more knowledgeable than I who could comment further
-- Ken
Pete

Post by Pete »

I found last week (first time I tried some intervals on my commute bike) the cadence dropped out due the magnet on crank arm moving.
Unlike yours, mine dropped out during the ride so I had a portion with & without.
I found power over-reported during the portion without cadence.
Because I was using TT/Interval mode I wasn't aware of cadence not working until afterwards.

Anyway looking at your file, I notice your Cda is quite low.
And also you have a reasonable tail wind on the faster periods.

Apparently there is a bug with the 'repair' function so we'll have a wait to fix these files up.
ronpei

Post by ronpei »

definitely an issue with your cadence. I would try to search/pair your cadence sensor. Go to set up and scan for your sensors, it should say cad fnd if not then you have a cadence battery issue or it is not awake. I have on occasion had to pair my sensors a couple of times to get them all to show. When you have done this things should be better. Also probably a good idea to repeat your calibration ride in case it did not have cadence as well, based upon the note that this was your first hard session it might not have been set up right out of the gate.

The fact that you are getting power readings at all is odd, since the cadence of 0 represents a power of 0. one of the people who know how to look into the files might have a reason but typically if you do not have a cadence you do not have power, so I am assuming this is a file that has been repaired for missing cadence? Probably better to look at the raw data before the fix if that is the case since you really should not have power with 0 cadence.