I keep breaking Newton mounts

Brodirt

I keep breaking Newton mounts

Post by Brodirt »

I blamed myself for the first 2 I broke, that I made them too tight. They broke on the upper mount around the bolt holes.
This third one though, not tight at all, broke at the bottom strap 6 o'clock position.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is the plastic too brittle? Any DIY solutions?
Im thinking of using a dremel tool to take off the lugs and then to add a slot to use a zip-tie as a mount. Could this work?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: I keep breaking Newton mounts

Post by Velocomp »

It does sound as if they are too tight, but please post a photo of your handlebars/stem where you are attaching the mount.

Please return your mount to us and we will replace under warranty.

Zip ties aren't a good idea; they won't hold the mount securely.
John Hamann
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

It sounds like the stem is not round and you're getting some stress points rather than spreading the load evenly. Perhaps a slightly thicker foam will take up some of the space. Just a thought without a photo
Fernando
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

I had my first mount break - cracked at the underside by the screws.
Second mount is holding up fie. I did a careful uniform tightening and then backed off each screw by a quarter turn.

Biggest thing I don't like is the non-stainless steel screws - they RUST and look bad. I have had other riders comment about it. I would pay an extra US$ for stainless rather than painted screws. Velocomp, please consider this product improvement.
TriBike

Post by TriBike »

texmurphy wrote:I had my first mount break - cracked at the underside by the screws.
Second mount is holding up fie. I did a careful uniform tightening and then backed off each screw by a quarter turn.

Biggest thing I don't like is the non-stainless steel screws - they RUST and look bad. I have had other riders comment about it. I would pay an extra US$ for stainless rather than painted screws. Velocomp, please consider this product improvement.

This has been already implemented due to popular demand.
Brodirt

Post by Brodirt »

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Agreed, there is nothing unusual about your mount.

I've had two mounts on my bike (one handlebar, one stem) for two years. No problems (except the rusting bolts, which we have corrected).
John Hamann