Newton Display

wormscoffer

Newton Display

Post by wormscoffer »

Apologies if I'm not looking hard enough but is there a guide somewhere to show what the different symbols and figures that can appear on the display mean? I've read the manual several times.

For example, the circle on the display presumably means "power In" from a DFPM. What do the little up and down arrows that appear above and below the circle mean?

On the wind display, what does it mean when the speed shown changes and a bar appears over the arrow?

And.....on the power screen what does the line and figure indicated here mean?
16-12-2012 13-55-24.png
16-12-2012 13-55-24.png (33.65 KiB) Viewed 7055 times
Thanks

Andrew
racerfern

Re: Newton Display

Post by racerfern »

On the screen shot you supplied the bar that moves from left to right is an instant indicator of your effort. For example in your screen shot it is almost half way across and the number to the right is 8 (for 800w). So in this shot you're putting out a bit less than 800w. If the number to the right is 4 and the graph is a/2 full you're putting out 200w at that instant. The point is that the graph shows an instant answer as to your efforts without any averaging.

This would be the same as SET FILT=0. It's not something you usually set it to just like the graph isn't something you usually watch. It's just a cool tool for once in awhile like short hard intervals.

I don't have a DFPM so I don't know about the circle, but little up and down arrows indicate that you're either above the average watts at that moment or below the average watts. So if you're pedaling at a constant 200w and the arrow points down it means you're riding below the avg watts for the ride at that point in time.

Please give me a screenshot of any other questions you have.
Fernando
wormscoffer

Post by wormscoffer »

Thanks Fernando.

I had noticed the line/figure roughly correlating to power so it all makes sense.

The image is from the manual but I'll take some picture next time I'm out so I can demonstrate the others I'm not sure about.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The bullseye lights when you're displaying DFPM power.

The up arrow means your current power is above your average power. The down arrow means your current power is below your average power.
John Hamann
still-chasing

Post by still-chasing »

I think there is no need for the sliding bar graph since we can set it to our desired filter at "SET FILT" - Less clutter on the screen. The little numbers can be eliminated too or maybe used for something else.....just a suggestion to Velocomp :-)
andrep

Post by andrep »

Hi,

I am new in the forum an have my iBike Newton since November. Love it - but have a few question and hope someone can answer it.

1. I´ve never trained with a powermeter before. So I have nothing to compare my experiences on the ibike with. One point is the display: The numbers are jumping up and down. I have the feeling that i am paddling very consistent, but the numbers are jumping (for a GA1 ride for example I try to ride around 150 watts. But I see numbers between 120 and 180. If I set filt on 5 seconds it is better of course, but still not easy to ride with consisten power. (but to be honest - in the end of the ride I have as average watts most the time something between 148 and 155. So it works. I have also the feeling, that it isnt that bad in higher watts. For example if I am riding a little hill with e.g. 250 watts, it jumps only between 240 and 260. So the range of jumping numbers is smaller on higher outputs. Is this normal? Any comments or suggestions on this item? Btw: I think when I made the fitness test (one time - to weak and tires for a 20 minutes full power test in the moment ;-), its cold winter here in germany) I thing the number was more consistent (or is the average watt in the display during the test??) I have searched on youtube for videos where I can see displays of powermeters in use - but I found only a bad garmin Edge (combined with ??) and there were the numbers jumping too, on a srm-example they were not jumping but very consistent. Can someone make a video of his powermeter in use? Like to see how it looks on your display.

2. As I told you: I made the fitness-test one time - but I was stronger in this time. When I am doing now a 3 hours GA1 ride in the moment it shows an IF of 0,77 or something similar. But it feels more intense than a ride close to compensation-training/recovering-training. (which is 0,75 or lower ... ).

3. Because of the jumping numbers (see question 1) I am not sure how to plan for example a time trial (I am triathlete). How can I go with consistent power, if the numbers are jumping.

Many thanx for your answers.

André
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

It is very difficult if not impossible to hold a specific wattage especially on relatively level ground. As you've witnessed on steady state hills it is much easier. The fluctuations you're seeing are normal. The proof is in the average watts. You could try changing your FILT to 30s for better smoothing. It sounds like you need to do a fitness test. Three hours can easily extend as high as .8 so that's not a good way to tell if your FTP is set correctly.

For the time trial I would definitely think about using the USER interval function. Set the interval to USER and just start pedaling at the beginning of the TT. You'll see instant power in the middle window and avg power in the top window. You won't be able to scroll through other functions but that might be a good thing since you just need to concentrate on steady state power.

Good luck.
Fernando
andrep

Post by andrep »

Many thanks - and your advice was very helpfull in several ways. I have a Garmin Forerunner - so I can let it show the average watts during the race and so I can see anything I need on one view! Haven´t thought about this easy idea since you mentioned the average wattage! ;-)
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

My Garmin 705 allows avg power display but remember it can be set to include zero averaging or to not include zeros. You need to have it set to include zeros otherwise your avg power display will be too high. In fact avg power excluding zeros is somewhat similar to normalized power for a steady state ride like a TT.

So if your Garmin gives you a choice to include or not include zeros, make sure you include them. If your Garmin does not give you the choice to include or not, then make sure you know what it is displaying. This is where the user function on the Newton works nicely.
Fernando