Are wireless sensors compatible?

aytchkay

Are wireless sensors compatible?

Post by aytchkay »

I have a general question about speed - cadence and heart-rate wireless sensors.

Is the Newton ONLY capable of receiving signals from IBike Sensors ? Will other manufacturer's sensors work with my Newton?
I'm thinking they would if they are all ANT+ capable...Is this correct?

For instance, If my speed-cadence sensor is a Garmin sensor, can I read these on my Newton?

And what about other sensors which may NOT be ANT+ ? Will all wireless speed sensors be picked up by the Newton?

thanks
KenS

Re: Are wireless sensors compatible?

Post by KenS »

It works with any ANT+ sensor. For instance, I use it with a Garmin GSC-10 sensor and Garmin HR strap
It will NOT work with a sensor that isn't ANT+
-- Ken
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

For a list of ANT+ Compatible Vendors and Devices see http://www.thisisant.com/directory/
aytchkay

Post by aytchkay »

In order for the Newton to read any ANT+ sensor, don't you have to install the GT Firmware upgrade? Otherwise the Newton will NOT pick up the signals from the ANT+ sensor other than the sensor from iBike....This is what I am trying to find out...
cjonbike

Post by cjonbike »

Nope! You can pick up the Ant + signal without the GT software! The GT firmware lets you send out the power data!
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

I'm pretty sure that the GT firmware is also necessary for using the dual ANT+ sensors like the Garmin and the Trek DuoTrap.

Robert
cjonbike

Post by cjonbike »

I am using the Garmin GSC 10 Speed/Cadence sensor! The Newton sees it fine! I do not have the GT firmware upgrade! I do not know about the Trek DuoTrap!
KimG

Post by KimG »

The GT Key is necessary only if you want your Newton+to transmit the power readings out on the Ant+ network. This allows say your Garmin 500 to read and record your power values during a ride. I've been using that feature of the Newton+ since I got the device in June. All other Ant+ sensors work fine without the GT key.
rstrom

Post by rstrom »

There are other situations besides what you describe where the GT key is needed

See
http://store.ibikesports.com/upgrades-t ... -upgrade-1

Robert