Where's the Data?

babyboomer

Where's the Data?

Post by babyboomer »

I've noticed that on occasion my Newton isn't generating any statistics when I start a ride. I believe the remedy has been to stop and perform a tilt and wind. Is what I'm observing a feature or a flaw? I'm assuming that there's some interval at which the Newton wants to refresh its calibration data.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Where's the Data?

Post by Velocomp »

I don't understand your comment. Can you provide an example?
John Hamann
babyboomer

Post by babyboomer »

I put the Newton on my bike, turn it on and start riding. However, when I glance at the display there's no power data being displayed. What seems to fix that is to stop riding, perform a tilt and wind calibration, and then start riding again.
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Have you noticed any messages on the screen about finding the sensors during this? One thought is that the sensors have not woken up on the bike and the Newton has not identified them. This could be a contributor to the delay. Or do you turn the Newton on after you start riding? One hold of the center button powers it up - I usually do that right after taking my bike of the car rack and before I get my helmet on.

Just a thought -

Tom
babyboomer

Post by babyboomer »

It would appear that the problem persists. It happened again this past Sunday. I turned on the Newton followed by the Garmin. I did this immediately after removing the bike from my vehicle so that it can acclimate while I'm getting dressed. Typically I spin the pedals backwards to turn on the (Garmin) sensors. The Garmin's head unit will respond audibly, but with the Newton I have to check the screen. The Garmin also beeps when it detects the Newton as a power meter.

Anyway, I got on my bike and started riding. Again, no power data. What I can't remember is whether the Newton was displaying any other data - like speed, RPM, HR, etc. I was so focused on the power data, that I just can't remember what else may or my not have been displayed. As usual, stopping to perform a tilt and wind calibration rectified the problem. What I'm not sure of is whether I need to push the button (again) before starting. The iPro did not have a start/stop button, per se. Is it possible that the profile got corrupted? I'll double-check the profile to ensure there is one and that all of the data is there.
KenS

Post by KenS »

Check your speed sensor is close enough to the magnet. If the speed sensor is not working your Garmin uses its GPS to determine speed (I'm assuming you have a Garmin with GPS) so appears to work normally but the iBike thinks you are stationary so records nothing.
I've had this happen on several occasions till I secured the speed sensor properly
-- Ken
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

You may have to go into SetUp and rescan the devices after your sensors are awake. When you do go into setup and toggle to the scan for devices - you may see 0 found - toggle this to scan and see if you get any sensors.

Tom
babyboomer

Post by babyboomer »

The symptoms persist. I don't know whether I mentioned that the unit has not always behaved this way. I just wish I could identify what precipitated this change. I don't know what it's worth, but I've attached the most recent ride file.
Attachments
iBike_08_25_2012_1052_20_Miles.ibr
(417.08 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
babyboomer

Post by babyboomer »

babyboomer wrote:The symptoms persist. I don't know whether I mentioned that the unit has not always behaved this way. I just wish I could identify what precipitated this change. I don't know what it's worth, but I've attached the most recent ride file.
I have tried all of the things suggested by those who responded to this post, and it doesn't appear as though any new ideas are forthcoming. So...

Tonight I will go out and perform more calibration rides. Besides, it's about time. I have lost 23 pounds since my last calibration ride. Perhaps that will do the trick. I'll update this thread with the results.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

babyboomer wrote:The symptoms persist. I don't know whether I mentioned that the unit has not always behaved this way. I just wish I could identify what precipitated this change. I don't know what it's worth, but I've attached the most recent ride file.
All of your ride data (speed/cadenceHR/power) is recorded continuously in this file, so I don't understand how this ride file illustrates the problem you're describing.
John Hamann
babyboomer

Post by babyboomer »

Velocomp wrote:
All of your ride data (speed/cadenceHR/power) is recorded continuously in this file, so I don't understand how this ride file illustrates the problem you're describing.
You're right. I didn't think the file would help, but it's all I have. The problem is that, unless I perform a tilt calibration (and sometimes wind) before each ride, the Newton doesn't start displaying data when I begin moving. The file I submitted was generated after a ride before which I implemented the work-around. I apologize.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

babyboomer wrote:
Velocomp wrote:
You're right. I didn't think the file would help, but it's all I have. The problem is that, unless I perform a tilt calibration (and sometimes wind) before each ride, the Newton doesn't start displaying data when I begin moving. The file I submitted was generated after a ride before which I implemented the work-around. I apologize.
Please do the following:

1) Let your bike sit stationary for 20 minutes. Do NOT move your bike wheels. Do NOT use your HR strap. This step will make sure your sensors are all off.
2) Place your Newton on your bike mount
3) Wake up your Newton, so that the main screen appears. Do NOT move the bike.
4) Do NOT do a tilt cal or wind cal
5) While watching your Newton screen continuously, spin the rear wheel of your bike, so that you wake up the speed/cadence sensor.
6) You should see the message "SPCD found" flash for a moment on your main screen.
7) Spin your rear wheel. You should see bike speed in the top window of your main screen.
8) If all this happens, then your Newton is working fine.

Please do this and report your findings
John Hamann
babyboomer

Post by babyboomer »

Okay. I did all of those things. The display reads "POUT" and "SPCD". Not only did the Newton detect my speed/cadence sensor, but it displayed the speed as well. However, this has never been the problem. The Newton has never had a problem detecting the sensors - neither speed/cadence nor HR monitor. I'm not ruling out user error, I just don't know what it could be. I'll let you know how the road test goes.
babyboomer

Post by babyboomer »

Okay. I went out to the lake tonight. I got in about twenty miles including two calibration rides. The bottom line is that the Newton performed flawlessly, right from the very first pedal stroke! But I swear it was not working before! No, really! I'm not crazy, I am not crazy! :)
Enviroman

Post by Enviroman »

I have had a similar experience as you have. Speed, cadence, and heart rate all show but no power. I usually complete the wind cal. Before each ride out of habit - used to own a gen III. What I have found is that a solid wind call corrects the problem. I have only had this happen on my second profile which is for my tt bike. The main thing I noticed is that the readings were zero unless I really gave some torque. The first time it happened it took about 10 minutes and then the readings showed up. The second time it happened I was able to stop and complete the wind calibration and things appeared to have been corrected.
KenS

Post by KenS »

Another thought on this problem as it reminds me of some issues I had with my GenIII. Next time you get the problem check the gradient by pressing the Hill-Wind button. You may find it shows a big negative gradient.
I used to get this on my GenIII if I didn't do a reset before a ride and it also seemed to happen if I turned it on and messed around for a few minutes before getting on the bike and riding off. For some reason that seemed to cause the auto-tilt to kick in and mess up the setting for a while.
Never had it happen on the Newton though - probably because I avoid it. With the GenII it took a while to boot up and then go through the AutoWind which is why I left it for a while. With the Newton it boots up right away and there's no AutoWind so I just turn it on when I start my ride.
-- Ken