CROSSED WIND

JoseJ

CROSSED WIND

Post by JoseJ »

Hello, when hard crossed wind my newton fails, ussualy outputs go low and even zero. Is there a way to make a compensation when downloading data to isaac?
THank you very much
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: CROSSED WIND

Post by Velocomp »

Please post a ride file, with annotations where you think there is a problem.
John Hamann
JoseJ

Post by JoseJ »

Well as you can see, from about minute 25, to 1.20 hour there are almost no blue wind flames, and that was not right, the fact there was a hard crossed wind that Newton could not measure, as you can see blue flames are almost constant at the beginig and the end of the ride as i am going back home. That made my watts lower while I was doing a two18 minutes interval I could no go beyond 250 watts wich is not ussual
I have also noticed, that when going with tail wind with all my gears it also reads low. 50X11 gear and it reads low...I can not pedal harder
May be something wrong in my calibration.
Thank you
Jose
Attachments
iBike_17_11_2014_0909_89_km.ibr
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 468 times
Russ

Post by Russ »

Josej,

It is interesting that if you select that portion and use the correct for blocked wind sensor repair tool, accept wind as zero,
then your average watts for that section rises from 218 to 290 watts or so. I think, if the wind is exactly 90 degrees off center perhaps that is justified since it might be viewed as close to zero for drag since all the extra force would be perpendicular and at most your bike might slide a few microns sideways :-)

Russ
Attachments
wind set to zero for crosswind section
wind set to zero for crosswind section
Josej_crosswind2.jpg (35.56 KiB) Viewed 12950 times
Pete

Post by Pete »

Russ wrote:I think, if the wind is exactly 90 degrees off center perhaps that is justified since it might be viewed as close to zero for drag since all the extra force would be perpendicular and at most your bike might slide a few microns sideways :-)

Russ
Not quite - http://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/yaw.aspx
Russ

Post by Russ »

Pete,

Nice link. I played with it and you are correct 90 degrees of crosswind has some effect. However at 97 degrees and a bike speed at the default of 40kh, the effective speed was 40.03, really not much. So at some angle of cross wind and speed, it is nill basically.

The removal of wind in Josej file for the period he complained about may have provided a degree of correction acceptable to him, based on his perceived exertion, he has yet to weight in ;)

Russ
JoseJ

Post by JoseJ »

Thank you both Russ and Pete....really good explanation.....as we say here in Spain you are a maquinas...( the machines) ;) :D