Garmin compatibility announcement

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Garmin compatibility announcement

Post by Velocomp »

If you had Garmin firmware on your Gen II unit then please send us the serial number of your Gen III and we will send you the Garmin unlock key for your Gen III.
John Hamann
marshr

Post by marshr »

thanks, john, sent it via email.
Rick
elkapower

Post by elkapower »

I have an Ibike Sport, wireless upgrade, Garmin 705 just received and am mounting as we speak. Question is will the 705 see my Sport? and will the Sport see my Garmin speed and cadence sensor, and Garmin HR strap?http://www.ibikeforum.com/posting.php?m ... 8790c33f89# How do we synch it, same as the initial setup on the Wireless sport? So I can just use the 705 for all downloads power and the other relevant data?http://www.ibikeforum.com/posting.php?m ... 8790c33f89#

Thanks for the reply, having a powermeter with the 705 (I travel extensively) will allow me to stay out of the bars, see the sites and get my workouts in all at once, without getting Lost again without daylight (backlight on the 705 is nice). Sucks to live on the road....no pun intended?http://www.ibikeforum.com/posting.php?m ... 8790c33f89#
Jamis Dakar
Trek Multitrack
Litespeed Ultimate
They said buy a PC or better, so I bought a MAC!
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Did you upgrade the iSport to an iPro or iAero? Or did you just go wireless?

Did you buy the Garmin FW update for the iBike whatever flavor it may be?
Fernando
elkapower

Post by elkapower »

Just got the wireless since i needed to run the trainer, and did not get any Garmin upgrade.
Jamis Dakar
Trek Multitrack
Litespeed Ultimate
elkapower

Post by elkapower »

What is the FW update, firmware? Did not pay for any updates, but I have the Microcard Maps, and have the Mac updater etc. stuff downloaded. Also have the WKO software downloaded. Why? Do i still need a firmware for the sport which has no ports on it, IE do I need to send it in for a new case, port install, ie. don't know the next step?
I would like the Power meter function on the Sport to go into the 705 for mapping and logging data. Automated data collection and data warehousing and integration is where I want to go. Time is money, and i am not interested in fiddling with data. I would rather ride for the time it takes for the data fiddling effort.

Thanks, sorry if elements of this discussion are already covered.
Jamis Dakar
Trek Multitrack
Litespeed Ultimate
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

If you didn't upgrade your iSport to either an iPro or iAero then it can't pick up the Garmin spd/cad sensor and it cannot transmit power to the Garmin 705, because you can't install the firmware upgrade.

The FW I was talking about was the iPro or iAero Garmin compatibility firmware that is available as an option here:
http://www.ibikesports.com/detail.aspx?ID=34

I suggest you contact Velocomp support. They may or may not have another option for you.
Fernando
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

Does this mean that to use the Garmin I still need the iBike main unit as well as the wireless mount, is that correct? Or can I use the Garmin by itself as long as I have the wireless mount? I presume I need the iBike main unit to be able to use the firmware, is that also correct?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Izzy wrote:Does this mean that to use the Garmin I still need the iBike main unit as well as the wireless mount, is that correct? Or can I use the Garmin by itself as long as I have the wireless mount? I presume I need the iBike main unit to be able to use the firmware, is that also correct?
The wireless head receives data from the wireless speed, cadence and hr sensors, then passes them forward to the iBike. It also transmits the power numbers it receives from the head unit to the Garmin.

However, without the iBike head unit, the wireless mount does nothing.

Yes, the Garmin firmware gets loaded into the iBike.
Fernando
ludlaw

Post by ludlaw »

I have an iAero on my tandem and want to transmit the power data to the stoker. Will the iAero transmit the power data to a Garmin 500? Do I need the Garmin firmware upgrade to the iAero for it to transmit power data?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Yes and yes.
Fernando
ludlaw

Post by ludlaw »

As I thought...thanks!
ludlaw

Post by ludlaw »

Ever since I added the Garmin firmware I have to do a tilt calibration before each ride. Is there some reason for that?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Who says you have to? I have Garmin upgrade and haven't done a tilt calibration in months. The same spot on my den shows the same slope every time.
Fernando
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Maybe you have some older firmware?

Tom
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

lorduintah wrote:Maybe you have some older firmware?

Tom
I was going to say "Who is you?" But upon further thought there is nothing in a Garmin firmware upgrade that affects tilt or tilt calibration. It's simply allowing communication with a different ANT+ device.
Fernando
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

I was piping in to the previous post not your's Fernando.------------> ludlaw.
ludlaw

Post by ludlaw »

Ever since I added the Garmin upgrade when I start a ride my tilt is off...by 3-6 degrees. Prior to adding the Garmin upgrade I hadn't done a tilt calibration in months. Now I have to do it before each ride. I have the 4.2 firmware. Maybe just a coincidence. I use the iAero on two different bikes and have the same experience on both.
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

It might help to do something John suggested for someone else.

Do a tilt calibration before your ride like you have been doing. Go for the ride and download your ride as usual. Also go to the Edit Profile screen - advanced tab and hit the get tilt cal from iBike. Then accept this profile and finally send this "modified" profile back to the iBike. While you are looking at the cal file values - make sure nothing looks really odd. If there is something, the cal data may have been corrupted.

This could be cause for a hard reset (flip the battery) - and send the profile to the iBike and set the time/date.

Tom
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

One has nothing to do with the other. Try this:
Do a tilt calibration then connect to the computer and go to profiles. Go to the current profile and click "Get tilt from iBike" or whatever it says. Now accept the changes. Lastly, go back to profiles and send the profile back to the ibike with the new calibration attached.

That should take care of the problem. Oops, this must be the solution as two of us are posting basically the same answer.
Fernando
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Fernando - we are really on the same wavelength!!!!
acevans

Post by acevans »

Is there a Garmin compatibility firmware for the iBike Dash + Power?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

acevans wrote:Is there a Garmin compatibility firmware for the iBike Dash + Power?
No.
John Hamann