Edge 800 replacement

wormscoffer

Edge 800 replacement

Post by wormscoffer »

Hello

I can see some post on the same vein as my question but nothing that provides the answer I'm looking for.

Currently I use a Garmin 800 and an iAero GT. I have just added a DFPM.

My biggest iAero headache has been batteries. Specifically getting a "battery good" on startup only to have the display fade half way through my ride and the memory full of junk on completion. So.....the Newton seemed worth a look. As I have a fully loaded iAero the trade-in program doesn't seem too good value for me. Then I started to wonder about the iBike Dash as I always ride with my iPhone in my pocket anyway in case of the need to communicate in an emergency or just for convenience.

It seems the only think my current setup does, and which I make frequent use of, that the Dash won't do is routing. I usually whip up my intended route on RidewithGPS and download it to my Edge. If I do get lost, the Edge is able to route me home.

I am wondering about using another app on the iPhone for routing and just wondered if I could switch between this and the Dash application. This wouldn't be ideal as it's good to have one or two data fields visible as well as the map, and my Garmin does this.

Anyone any suggestions?

TIA

Andrew
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Edge 800 replacement

Post by Velocomp »

We are working on a routing feature now. We expect to have it in an app update this summer.
John Hamann
wormscoffer

Post by wormscoffer »

Thanks John; I look forward to it.

If you need any input from someone who makes fairly frequent use of routing for both road and MTB I'm more than happy to help (as long as your mapping covers France!).

Cheers.
wormscoffer

Post by wormscoffer »

I'm considering making the move to an iBike Dash in advance of routing becoming available and was just wondering if I can run another app at the same time as the iBike app to do routing, such as Google Maps, so I don't get lost.

Does anyone else do this?

TIA.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

wormscoffer wrote:I'm considering making the move to an iBike Dash in advance of routing becoming available and was just wondering if I can run another app at the same time as the iBike app to do routing, such as Google Maps, so I don't get lost.

Does anyone else do this?

TIA.
Yes, you can do this. The "Always On" feature of the iBike will keep your data recording in the background, even when the iBike app is not running.

When you resume the app your data will "fill in" automatically.
John Hamann
wormscoffer

Post by wormscoffer »

Thanks John.

I'm just looking for a decent app to do routing and I'm probably going to stick with an app that I used on my Windows phone before I got the iPhone but has since been ported on account I can download segments of map in case there is no 3G service.
Brandy

Post by Brandy »

I currently have a Dash+Power but plan to sell it on Craigslist next week when I get my Newton delivered. Before that, I had an iAero Gen 3. I'm going to replace my Dash with the Newton+ and Edge 800 setup. My biggest complaint about the Dash are the battery issues. Your iPhone needs to be 100% charged to get any effective use out of the external batteries in the Dash. If the phone is charged to 100%, then I'll get about 1.25 hrs off each battery, which is really good IMO. But if I forget to swap my battery after 1.25 hrs (happens to me all the time), and my phone depletes to 80% charge, that second battery will only give me about 30-40 min of time. I'd need a lot of batteries to get through a 6 hour ride. Secondly, the coils that connect the Dash to the battery do not always line up in mine. I don't know if it is a common problem with other Dash owners, but suspect it is a design issue with the Dash. I've had to do a lot of fiddling to get them to touch each other. This was a real bummer when I was doing a metric century this past weekend and my fully charged batteries would not connect to the Dash. My phone died about 2.5 hrs into the ride :(

I would recommend that you wait for the Gen 2 Dash (whenever that is) to see they make these changes. A new iPhone is likely to appear in the marketplace in a few months. iBike has always made solid improvements in their products. But for now, go for the Newton to pair with your Edge.
wormscoffer

Post by wormscoffer »

Thanks for that helpful reply.

Alas - I've already sold the 800. I'm managing with a 910XT at the moment.

This battery issue does concern me though. One of the plus points seemed to be the backup battery to supplement the iPhone but it sounds like that's not very effective.

I think I'll just have to keep on holding to see how things develop.
Millmouse

Post by Millmouse »

Velocomp wrote:We are working on a routing feature now. We expect to have it in an app update this summer.
And, any progress?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We are working on the routing feature now.
John Hamann
wormscoffer

Post by wormscoffer »

For now I've settled on a Sony Erricson Experia Active which has ANT+ connectivity, any routing app I want to use, is shock and waterproof and has a lovely display. What's more it's only marginally larger than a Garmin 800. With my Jabra Sport earphones I can take calls and/or listen to music wire free (though I don't!).

Battery life is still a concern though I have a cunning plan to address that.

It would be great to get the iBike wind/tilt sensor in a small ANT+/BLE module running off a CR2032....hint!