iPhone Screen Glare

jayt

iPhone Screen Glare

Post by jayt »

I have a question for iDash users. Is screen glare a problem with the iPhone/iPod touch? I bought one of the cheap handle bar cases for my iPhone and found in the summer (I live in Oregon and only have to worry about direct sunlight 3 or 4 months out of the year LOL) that I could barely read the iPhone screen at all (an iPhone 4 screen at the time). That got me really wondering whether I wanted to go the iDash route. Both my iBIke Gen II and my Garmin Edge 500 are quite readable, but the iPhone was not. Does the iDash have an anti-glare coating? I would appreciate feedback from current users.

PS I tried adjusting screen brightness and viewing angle, but still was not satisfied.
prancingwombat

Re: iPhone Screen Glare

Post by prancingwombat »

It is a problem with using the iPhone. LCD screens like Garmin 500 work well in direct sun if you get the angle right. The iPhone is a lit screen so direct sun kills it's visibility. Here (Sydney Australia) the sun is very bright and it's quite hard to see the iPhone in the middle of the day. Most of my rides are early morning or late day so it's not a problem for me. I have found that if you lean over the dash and use your body to shield the sun it helps.
RGA

Re: iPhone Screen Glare

Post by RGA »

I don't have the Dash yet (on order) but in general, yes the iphone screen gets washed on bright days. Not much of a problem for me as I usually ride with the screen off (saves battery life) and have my bike app give audio cues (distance, speed, average speed) every 5 miles so I know how far I've gone without having to look at it.
Keep on Pedaling,

Ray Garza