How to get maximum battery life with the iDash

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

How to get maximum battery life with the iDash

Post by Velocomp »

To get longest life out of your iDash, it's essential that your iOS device AND your iBike battery BOTH be 100% charged before starting your ride.

If your iOS device isn't fully charged, then your iBike battery will waste 2/3 of its energy trying to charge your iPhone/iTouch battery. You will be lucky to get 20 minutes of life out of your spare battery.

Note that when your iOS device is fully charged, when the iBike battery is used the fully-charged symbol will appear in your battery icon.

Once the iBike battery is exhausted, the charging symbol will disappear in the battery icon.

If you carry several iBike batteries with you, for maximum ride time try to swap your iBike battery the instant you see the charge indicator go out on your battery icon.
John Hamann
saviking

Re: How to get maximum battery life with the iDash

Post by saviking »

I have a related question. I will doing a bike ride next month that will be approximately 10 hours long. My question is how many batteries will I need and what is the best way to manage them?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: How to get maximum battery life with the iDash

Post by Velocomp »

You'll get about 1 hour from each spare battery and about 5 hours from your iPhone. So, I'd have 4-5 spare batteries.

Make sure to start your ride with all batteries 100% charged--especially the iPhone's internal battery.

As soon as you see the iPhone battery charge indicator turn off, swap spare batteries immediately.

The principle is this: you want the iBike spare battery to power your iPhone electronics ONLY--not to attempt to recharge the iPhone internal battery.
John Hamann