Battery Options

Joe.B

Battery Options

Post by Joe.B »

Is there a way of taking dynamo hub power and putting it into iBike? My SON hub generates power that can charge the e-Werks battery system (http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ewerk.asp) on the bike, which in turn can charge various electronics including iPhones. How can i harness this to provide charge to the iBike dash so I don't have to worry about the battery going dead on long rides?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Battery Options

Post by Velocomp »

Dynamos remind me of some of my riding as a kid, when there was a wheel generator that powered my flashlight. I hated that system, because it created so much drag on the bike...

To do this you'd have to supply a constant 3.7 volts to the iDash circuit board. So, you would need an insertable fixture that would connect to the battery leads of the iDash board, you'd need to get two wires into the Phone Booth case, and you would need to mount the other components elsewhere on the bike.

Of course, sticking wires into the Phone Booth would destroy the integrity of the waterproof seal and void the warranty of your PB.
John Hamann
Rip

Post by Rip »

Having looked at the eWorks device I can see no reason why not. It's output can be adjusted to 3.7V to match the Dash battery.

However, as stated above, the integrity of the booth would be compromised.
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

Is there a diagram to show me where on the idash circuit board I would put the wires?
Rip

Post by Rip »

If you look at the battery, it has + and - markings. These indicate the battery contacts that line up with the contact springs in the battery compartment.

You'll need to connect the wires to the same points on the board that the contact springs connect. Soldering to the springs will be problematic as it will require a lot of heat. If you use flux on the springs it is possible, though direct connection to the board is best.