Out and Back

DaveH

Out and Back

Post by DaveH »

This is probably the wrong place to post this but here goes...

When I open a ride file and it asks me if it started and ended in the same place, how does the software calculate the start, end and midpoint? I am asking because it's never right on my end. I tell it yes and it dumps the points onto my elevation plot but never in the right place and most of the time the geographical location isn't even close. Seems like it should know the start and end of my file are the start and end points of the ride, but I would think it would look at my GPS pos to know for sure.

Thanks

racerfern

Re: Out and Back

Post by racerfern »

Out/Back is used to determine the tilt plot and has nothing to do with GPS. Although you may have started and ended in the same place the software just aligns the elevation graph without regard to the GPS coordinates.

What do you mean "but never in the right place and most of the time the geographical location isn't even close" The iDash with an iPhone has excellent GPS capability. Do other GPS apps work properly?
Fernando
DaveH

Re: Out and Back

Post by DaveH »

I'm referring to where the software puts the start and end, it never puts them in the right place. The gps always has me on the right place. Out and back isn't too important to me but it's kind of fun and would be more fun if it worked right for me.

EDIT: It just dawned on me, I'm trying to use this feature for something it is not. It asks "Did this ride end where it began" and I say yes, because it was a loop and I ended where I started so in a way yes is the right answer there, BUT this feature is for a true out and back analysis, not for a loop start/finish to find the midpoint......

My mistake. :oops: