Dash External Battery Issue

Jfala

Dash External Battery Issue

Post by Jfala »

just began using my Dash + Power after a couple of years of iBike Pro usage. Have an strange issue with the Dash external battery. I have noticed that after 20 minutes of riding or so my iPhone 4 stops charging off of the Dash external battery. When I open the Phone Booth and put some pressure on the battery it begins charging the iPhone again, and then very quickly stops. Is this a problem with the battery, the phone booth connections or something else?

Thanks.

Jeff
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Dash External Battery Issue

Post by Velocomp »

What this means is that your external battery has run out of juice.

For best results, make sure that your iPhone and your external battery are 100% charged before riding. If so you should get 45 min to 75 min from your external battery.
John Hamann
Jfala

Post by Jfala »

John,

Thank you for the reply. My external battery was fully charged prior to riding and my iPhone was at 85%.

If my iPhone is fully charged the external battery will sit idle until needed, is that correct?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

No, it's just the reverse. The external battery will drain completely before the iPhone battery discharges.

If your iPhone isn't fully charged the external battery will attempt to charge it to 100%. This drains the external battery very quickly. Today, I went for a ride with a fully-charged battery and an 85% charged iPhone. My external battery died in about 25 minutes.

Charging the iPhone battery is a very inefficient use of the external battery. Most of the external battery's power goes to heating the iPhone, not charging the iPhone battery.
John Hamann
Jfala

Post by Jfala »

John,

Makes sense, thanks. Just wanted to be sure I understood how it was working.

Jeff