iBike Dash Steer Tube Mount Incompatibility

Norm

iBike Dash Steer Tube Mount Incompatibility

Post by Norm »

I received my Dash last week while I was out of town (thanks John), but I came home Friday night so I planned on installing it on my TT bike for the normal Saturday ride. Saturday morning came, I got up early to do the install and get things set up, and what did I find? I have a non-standard steer-tube cap.

On my steer-tube cap, the cap itself is threaded (female threads) instead of just attaching with a bolt. The bike is an Orbea Ora if anyone want's to look it up.

Needless to say, I did the ride without the Dash, which was just as well since I crashed. The guy in front of me went down and I had no where to go, so I hit him like a log, did and endo with my bike, and landed on my back in the ditch. Call it not a very good morning, but not as bad as it could have been.

Anyway, since the Ora survived the crash largely intact, I'm wondering if I have any other mount options for the Dash on the Ora?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: iBike Dash Steer Tube Mount Incompatibility

Post by Velocomp »

Please post a photo of your stem mount area, with the cap removed. I can't find sufficient detail on the web.

You very possibly can find an insert to go inside the stem that has a conventional stem bolt.
John Hamann
Norm

Post by Norm »

Thanks for the suggestion John. I suppose a reducer / coupler would do the trick. The coupler would need female threads on each end and I'd need a shorter bolt for the Dash steer tub cap, but it looks like that's doable. The trick will be to find a small coupler with the appropriate sizes on each end.

I'll post the photo when I get the bike back from my LBS.
Norm

Post by Norm »

As promised, attached are the photo details of my steer tube cap and the top of the steer tube on my Orbea Ora.

John (or others), I'd appreciate any pointers on finding suitable adapters for the Dash's steer tube mount.
IMG_0291.jpg
IMG_0291.jpg (49.87 KiB) Viewed 5453 times
IMG_0289.jpg
IMG_0289.jpg (63.08 KiB) Viewed 5451 times
IMG_0287.jpg
IMG_0287.jpg (42.23 KiB) Viewed 5451 times
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

This should be an easy one. You need a compression plug where you have a screw that will go down into the middle of it (so you can use the one supplied from the iDash).

This one should work just fine and is a good inexpensive solution.
http://www.bikeman.com/CARV-COMPPLUG.html
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
Norm

Post by Norm »

Thanks Boyd. I have rather weak wrench skills, but I'm gathering that I need to replace my existing compression plug with one that's compatible with the Dash mount. I'll probably let my LBS deal with it then.