Ipod touch gen3 Memory?

jparker

Ipod touch gen3 Memory?

Post by jparker »

This may be a stupid question but does it matter how much memory you have in the ipod touch gen3 (8g,16g,32g etc...) if I'm going to use it solely for a bike computer w/power? I'm not interested in the gps,mapping,phone etc.. so I was thinking of just getting an ipod touch and using it for my cycling computer but wasn't sure if I needed a certain amount of memeory or not. Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Ipod touch gen3 Memory?

Post by Velocomp »

With an 8GB memory we've estimated that you'll be able to record about 2 million miles of ride files on an iPhone. Since you're not recording GPS data with your iTouch it will be even more. :D
John Hamann
jparker

Post by jparker »

One more quick question. I've noticed that some of the ipods are listed as a 2nd/3rd gen. and the ibike dash will require a 3rd gen. ipod. If the OS is 3.1 will it work on a 2nd/3rd gen. ipod?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We're testing as many Apple products as we can and so far we know this: the older they are, the less capable they are.

Older Apple products will, most definitely, work with the iBike app, but we can't guarantee that you will like their speed/performance.
John Hamann
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

jparker wrote:One more quick question. I've noticed that some of the ipods are listed as a 2nd/3rd gen. and the ibike dash will require a 3rd gen. ipod. If the OS is 3.1 will it work on a 2nd/3rd gen. ipod?
I have an 8gb ipod Touch with OS 3.1.3. I don't know how to tell if it's a 2nd or 3rd gen. However, according to iTunes 3.1.3 is the latest version and I can't upgrade to os4, but I don't know why. I thought that if the iPod Touch looked like an iPhone then it was a gen3. Somebody set me straight please.

Editing my own comments: If it's an 8gb unit it will be a 1st (like mine) or 2nd gen. Look at the black antenna section on the upper left corner on the back. If it's rectangular its a gen 1, if it's oval it's a gen 2. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353
Fernando
rcmaps

Post by rcmaps »

I've had the ipod Touch G1 since the first week of release.

iPod Touch Gen 2 and 3 looks exactly the same and is much slimmer than the 1st Gen model. The two newer models also have an external volume switch on the top left side of the unit whereas the initial model didn't.

However, Gen 3 has much improved RAM (and faster processor - I think), therefore apps run much faster than Gen 2 and especially Gen1. I can most certainly notice this comparing my Gen3 vs Gen1 on some larger apps such as games which takes 20-40secs to load compared to under 10secs to load under Gen3! I guess this is exactly what John was referring to earlier.

I guess the reason you can't upgrade to iOS4 is due to Gen1 having much lower RAM and slower processor.

The Gen3 has similar RAM and processor as the iphone 3GS whereas the iphone 3G is similar age as the ipod Touch G2.

As far as I know, the ipod Touch 3G does everything the iphone 3GS does apart from camera, GPS and of course phone so it's awesome value for money if you don't need those features. Rumour abound that ipod Touch 4G will have a camera (and hopefully GPS!)
:D
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

http://woot.com/ for someone looking for a deal in case they don't have something that will fit inside the phonebooth.
Fernando
rcmaps

Post by rcmaps »

A note of warning, the 3G iPod Touch may have been a 2G version as it has the same performance speed of the 2G model.

Just in case you may be disappointed with speed issues running iDash.

This is also mentioned on the website racerfern posted:-
Current Generation Note:

iPod Touch 32GB and 64GB models have faster preformace and the Voice Control feature. The 8GB iPod Touch does not.
dbencivengo

Post by dbencivengo »

Has the iBike Dash been tested withthe current 8MB iPod Touch? If so is the performance adequate?

The FAQ indicate that the Dash works with gen3 but the current 8MB iPod Touch is gen2.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I'm currently beta testing the iDash app on an 8gb Gen1 iTouch. It has v3.0.3 of the OS as this iTouch won't even take iOS4. The concensus is that if it works for my setup it will work even better for everyone else. We'll see.

Of course there are still bugs since it's in the development stage, however the app works well and has improved tremendously from the first beta I was supplied. The power information portion of the app is spot on, screen response is very good (not perfect but very good). I would be speaking out of turn in saying that it will be certified to run on the iTouch Gen1, but I feel pretty good about it.
Fernando