Why we created the iBike Dash the way we did

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Why we created the iBike Dash the way we did

Post by Velocomp »

I thought a bit of background on the iBike Dash might be helpful.

We started this project last fall, following Apple's announcement of its OS3 for iPhone and iPod Touch. With OS3, we realized we could transform the iPhone/iPod Touch into a mobile computer with GPS, phone, color display, all of which could work seamlessly with our electronics and an iBike app. We believe that the market for a bike computer and power meter with these features capabilities is enormous.

We picked Apple because there is an extremely large installed base of similarly-sized products with an identical connector interface. There are nearly 100 million iPhones and iPod Touches out there, meaning that a (single) clever design of the of the Phone Booth could fit all of those devices... :D

The current problem with Android products is that they have significantly different shapes and there isn't any standard connector for them, in any standard location. This makes it difficult to design for the Android platform and makes the investment risk much higher. We will watch the Android market carefully and if a large-volume design emerges we will be very happy and will respond accordingly.

The iBike Dash was designed in the USA and will be manufactured here. Despite all the problems that are constantly in the news, I can tell you that there are still a ton of extremely talented, hard working, and results oriented people who work in the USA. We are very fortunate to have some of them on our team, and what they have accomplished is amazing.

There is so much that can be done with the iBike Dash that it is almost mind boggling, so this is just the first step.

And we fully expect to migrate some of our key innovations across our entire product line. Stay tuned...
John Hamann
feltf1

Re: Why we created the iBike Dash the way we did

Post by feltf1 »

I am not a tech head, i just want to ride my bike and see the progress in my munbers so please, please make sure that the new technolegy does carry across to the standard ibike range so it gives the best possible readings
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

Thanks for that! All of the features are really cool. you did dash my hopes of a Garmin phone iBike dash when you talked about the OS. I doubt Garmin's phone is even close to iPhone standards.
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged
aaduarte

Post by aaduarte »

I'm eagerly waiting for the 1.1 update of the app, I has so much potential! and by now the app seems like the beta 0.5 to me. Not in a offensive way, but now it's just giving a glympse of some of the functions it can give.
Yeah i't could be mindblowing and give 10 times more usefull info than any other power meter in real time. That color screen, its size, the processor behind it, the web connection, and the option of customize it.....
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Much is coming...we are always trying to improve. Stay encouraged!
John Hamann