No iPhone no Future?

MdC

No iPhone no Future?

Post by MdC »

I have not got an iPhone or iTouch. I have no need for or interest in either. SO, the question is, is there any future development thats not Apple-related?
benlane

Re: No iPhone no Future?

Post by benlane »

Likewise - I am no fan of Apple and would not expect to ever purchase Iphone/Ipod.
I can see how for those who use Apple products they might find the IDash exciting, but what about us Apple Haters? ;)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Relax!

The iBike Dash is a new member of the iBike family. Let's all enjoy a bit of the new.

But don't worry, the Gen III is alive and well!

We love all our "children" and each will get our full attention.
John Hamann
MdC

Post by MdC »

Good to know John. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
I do like what you've done and would like to see the dash functionality on a stand alone device.
jjayxxxx

Post by jjayxxxx »

Don't quote me on this but I think iPhone is currently only on the AT&T network in the US? Whereas Android phones are on pretty much on all the U.S. cell phone carriers... It would make a lot of sense to open up your product to everyone rather than just Apple or AT&T users.

Of course limiting it to iPhone and iTouch certainly keeps it easier to design and develop the phone booth and app. Not sure if the app is easily portable from the iPhone OS to the Android OS or not. I do know it can be done as lots of apps are on both OS's.

If it becomes available on Android phones you will get at least one more sale. I would either upgrade my current Gen III or buy a whole new setup for my wife. I would love to have the built-in GPS capability.

FWIW.
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

I vote for one compatible with Garmin's phone! One thing on my handlebar.
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged
rcmaps

Post by rcmaps »

Even if the app can be ported over to Android there is still the hardware issue.

The iDash mount is made specifically for iphones (and the slimmer ipod touch - presumably there are inserts to pad out the thickness?)

Hence, any Android platform products would new new mounts but there are so many different types of hardware/phones out there - which ones to choose from?

I think Velocomp has gone the right path in choosing the very popular Apple products in this regard. BTW, I'm not a MAC user. ;)
jjayxxxx

Post by jjayxxxx »

rcmaps wrote:Even if the app can be ported over to Android there is still the hardware issue.
Yes, that is what I specifically said: "...limiting it to iPhone and iTouch certainly keeps it easier to design and develop the phone booth..."

Still though, would be nice if there was a way of having a mount with the necessary electronics and sensors that is also relatively versatile for slightly varying phone sizes. There is already a minor size difference between the iPhone and the iTouch, correct?

The smart phone market is growing a ton, so perhaps it will make even more sense after a little more time passes.
rcmaps

Post by rcmaps »

jjayxxxx wrote: There is already a minor size difference between the iPhone and the iTouch, correct?
Yes, the ipod Touch 3G is slimmer than the iphone 3GS but the new iphone 4G (out yesterday or so) is reputedly 25% slimmer than the previous model so the difference will be less now. Of course, who knows what the ipod Touch 4G will be or will include when it comes out around Sept or so?
;)
feltf1

Post by feltf1 »

I think the technolegy is brilliant and well done to you guys, you always push the boat out. But i still love the no fuss iaero, keep up the great work
Norm

Post by Norm »

For those without iPhones, with the release of the iPhone 4 there are bound to be plenty of used iPhone 3's and 3GS's on the market soon for not much money. If you're not using the phone or 3G data features you don't need AT&T and can just run it as a computer.
NCH1

Post by NCH1 »

Yeah, I've actually been looking into this myself. I've seen several iphone 3G bundled packages on ebay for around Au$200-300, and that's before the release of version 4. I'm currently having a few issues with the accuracy of power readings (lots of drop outs) at the moment due to the cold winter mornings, around 5-6 degrees celsius, so I'm pretty keen to invest in the new ibike Dash

Nik
rcmaps

Post by rcmaps »

NCH1 wrote: I'm currently having a few issues with the accuracy of power readings (lots of drop outs) at the moment due to the cold winter mornings, around 5-6 degrees celsius, so I'm pretty keen to invest in the new ibike Dash

Nik

Yeah, me too. During the last 7 days where temperatures ranged between -1C to 10C, I have had to go through 3 batteries.

If the iDash battery life is less susceptible to cold weather and power readings are not as affected by temperature changes as iBike - that will be really great.
jjayxxxx

Post by jjayxxxx »

Norm wrote:For those without iPhones, with the release of the iPhone 4 there are bound to be plenty of used iPhone 3's and 3GS's on the market soon for not much money. If you're not using the phone or 3G data features you don't need AT&T and can just run it as a computer.
The biggest reason I am interested in pairing iBike technology with a smart phone is to add the GPS and mapping features to what I already have now (iBike Aero). Then I'd have everything I want in a single unit on the handlebars. I don't think you will get the mapping without a data plan. Perhaps there is a way to pre-load a map before a ride when you have WiFi access and then a data plan is not needed during the ride? That would be ideal, but I wouldn't believe it until I saw it... :)
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

jjayxxxx wrote:The biggest reason I am interested in pairing iBike technology with a smart phone is to add the GPS and mapping features to what I already have now (iBike Aero). Then I'd have everything I want in a single unit on the handlebars. I don't think you will get the mapping without a data plan. Perhaps there is a way to pre-load a map before a ride when you have WiFi access and then a data plan is not needed during the ride? That would be ideal, but I wouldn't believe it until I saw it... :)
Which is why I was thinking the Garmin would be the choice. The Garmin Nuvi phone had it's own gps built in with no need for a data plan, I believe. Now the new Garmin phone runs on Android, but I don't know how it does GPS.
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged