ibike dash with Power2max cadence not working

chirobike

ibike dash with Power2max cadence not working

Post by chirobike »

No problem with Ibike dash. Just a concern with the new power2max power meter. It uses an accelerometer chip to calculate cadence w/o magnet. Problem is the Ibike picks up the powermeter fine, other sensors and speed/cadence sensor but no reading for cadence alone. Question #1 "Is there a known issue with picking up ant+ cadence signal from this powermeter?", #2 "Any firmware updates that can solve any issue with this or is there even an issue with Ibike versus the powermeter not sending a signal?"

I've read that other head units pick up the cadence signal fine like Garmin, etc. This powermeter will start to show up a lot more in the US b/c distribution just started a couple of weeks ago and it's one of the least expensive on the market (quality seems good with good reviews).

Sensors that do show..

HRM 15926 id: 1
Spd&Cad Sensor 18925 id:1
DFPM 2073 id: 5

Thanks.
racerfern

Re: ibike dash with Power2max cadence not working

Post by racerfern »

Why take a calculated cadence signal from the P2M when you can have the actual signal from the SPD/CAD sensor?
Fernando
chirobike

Post by chirobike »

Just trying to cut down on the # of sensor hardware. If I can use the ant+ cadence sensor built in the p2m powermeter I only need a speed sensor or use GPS. Just wondering if there is a fix.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

It looks like you're using an ANT+ combined speed/cadence sensor. If that's the case then you won't be able to pick up the cadence signal from the P2M; the combined sensor takes priority.

You can try placing an ANT+ speed sensor ONLY, without cadence, on your bike. Then, do a new pairing. You should get IDs for speed, cadence, and DFPM.

I don't know anything about the P2M system, but if they followed the ANT+ protocol rules properly then you should be able to use its cadence.

The iBike app won't work without a speed sensor signal, so you'll need at least an ANT+ speed sensor.

FYI: the iBike Sport is the least expensive power meter on the market, and the Dash + Power is much less expensive than the P2M.
John Hamann
chirobike

Post by chirobike »

Okay, here's what I've done so far. Using ibike dash with both an iphone 3 & 4, have managed to pair the power meter every time but absolutely no power measurement signal. I purchased both separate speed and cadence sensors and the ibike pairs all the sensors correctly and receives measurement. So it's not the ibike device not receiving a signal or processing what it receives with the other sensors.

So in your best estimate is this a protocol issue with the power meter manufacturer? These meters are being sold all over Europe w/o issue. I understand you have a power meter, too, but I am an ibike dash customer inquiring just about ibike dash compatibility.

On a strange side note I used a friends device (Wahoo fitness case and Digifit application) and it paired the power meter (as ibike did) and momentarily displayed the power meter measurement, too. However, like another post alluded to, when it went into sleep mode (stopped pedaling) the power meter measurement did not come back.

Bottom line...is this a power meter manufacturer problem or an update issue for ibike b/c the power meter has some technical info that has to be included in future updates? I'm not mad, just very, very confused. They sell as a dealer Garmin head units as their main choice. I am committed to the ibike dash for several reasons, primarily durability (the other cases are too wimpy) but also simplicity b/c using the Garmin defeats the whole purpose to trying to simplify things. Again, not bashing your power meter but I want this setup I have.

What is a device id and type? Is that specific to that brand/unit only? Or is it a random id assigned for that measurement session? For this device should it display two different device id's for power meter and cadence? It only displays the numbers I listed above.

I am in communication with the manufacturer rep. in Canada who is talking to the mfg. in Germany so any info I can relay to their engineers would be appreciated. Again, I'm not trying to get into a war b/t mfg's of power meters. I'm simply a customer of yours and theirs and confused why two ANT+ registered alliance members (Power2Max is Saxonar Gmbh) devices are not working together. :roll:
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please do the following:

1) Configure your Dash main screen with speed, cadence, and DFPM power fields

2) Remove all ANT+ sensors from your bike, with the exception of the P2M. Do a Scan and report what sensor and ID numbers the Dash finds. (Make sure your standalone ANT+ speed, cadence, and speed/cadence sensors are far away from the Dash, so they are not accidentally paired). Crank your bike and report what fields (if any) are registered on the main screen.

3) Add your "solo" ANT+ speed sensor to your bike, then do another Scan. Do a Scan and report what sensor and ID numbers the Dash finds. Crank your bike and report what fields (if any) are registered on the main screen.

4) Add your ANT+ cadence sensor to your bike, then do another Scan. Do a Scan and report what sensor and ID numbers the Dash finds. Crank your bike and report what fields (if any) are registered on the main screen.
John Hamann
chirobike

Post by chirobike »

Thanks. Done.

Speed sensor Bontrager 20636 type 1

Cadence sensor Bontrager 9655 type 1

DFPM: P2M 2073 type 5

All registered measurements when activated and bike on a trainer. Cadence never showed up as an independent pairing when I just did the DFPM. What I don't understand is the rep & other users with a Garmin head unit claim it pairs cadence right away, no problems. However, ibike picks up a clear signal from the separate cadence sensor but no hint of a cadence signal from the power meter.

Is there some kind of other id in the software where it sets priority to look for DFPM & "other sensor" as a combined unit similar to a speed/cadence dual sensor over a single sensor?
chirobike

Post by chirobike »

Okay...here's the deal. Power2max cadence sensor DOES send a signal, sensor I.D. reads "O" though. However, Garmin must know about this b/c the Edge 800 has no issues at all picking up cadence/power signals instantly on the display. So I have to assume ANT+ does have some protocol information on this issue otherwise why would it work? The 800 only picks up ANT+ and GPS signal.

So for now, my desire is to have as few devices (sensors, cell phones, otherwise) as possible to have to ride with but still get my info. I'll leave it at that. The ibike dash is an excellent idea and I still prefer it to a lousy display and limited functions on the Garmin so I'm keeping both options open. If it can be resolved with an update that would be great. If for no other reason that to figure out "WTH?".

Hope this helps b/c having the dash and the P2M combo w/o any other sensors would be ideal, at least for me.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Here is how the Dash pairing works:

1) The Dash first looks for a DFPM signal. If it finds one, great (a check mark appears), then moves to step 2). If not, after 15 seconds an "x" appears, and it moves to step 2):

2) The Dash looks for a combined speed/cadence signal. If it finds one, great (a check mark appears) AND, it skips directly to step 5). If the iDash does NOT find a combined speed/cadence signal after 15 seconds, an "x" appears, and it moves to step 3):

3) The iDash looks for a separate speed sensor. If it finds one, great (a check mark appears) AND, it skips to step 4). If the iDash does NOT find a speed signal after 15 seconds, an "x" appears, and the process aborts; the iDash won't function without a speed sensor signal.

4) The iDash looks for a separate cadence sensor. If it finds one, great (a check mark appears) AND, it skips directly to step 5). If the iDash does NOT find a cadence signal after 15 seconds, an "x" appears, and it moves to step 5):

5) The iDash looks for an HR strap. If it finds one, great (a check mark appears) AND the Scan process ends. If the iDash does NOT find an HR signal after 15 seconds, an "x" appears, and the Scan process ends.

If the iDash isn't seeing your P2M cadence signal then one of three things is going on:

1) You have a combined speed/cadence sensor on your bike, causing the iDash to not pick up the discrete cadence reading of your P2M

2) You have a separate cadence sensor on your bike, causing the iDash to not pick up the discrete cadence reading of your P2M

3) The P2M is "broadcasting" its cadence signal in a format that is not supported by the iDash firmware.

If you do a Scan and watch carefully how things pair-up, you might be able to determine which of the above 3 alternatives applies to you.
John Hamann
chirobike

Post by chirobike »

I can only say that it's probably a firmware issue or the hardware (receiver). The idea may be something that other crank based PM might adopt with internal cadence sensors so it might be worthwhile to explore what they are doing differently. At any rate, I understand we are talking about a competitor product to your power meter so I won't belabor the point and you've been nice enough to entertain this problem. Thanks.