Power readings not showing during download?

perezjap

Power readings not showing during download?

Post by perezjap »

I upgraded from Gen II to Gen III. I use Gen II on my training bike during the week and trying to use Gen III on race bike during the weekends. I have 3.02 SW, Gen II has 1.18 and Gen III came with 3.03. So I think I have all the updates. I am using the same HR strap for both.

-Originally had troubles pairing the Gen III up but I think it was because I had the Gen II bike too close in the garage. I fixed that.

-Next, I couldn't get good speed readings as they were very sporadic. I read in the forum to move the speed sensor away from the hub. That worked! Thanks.

-Now, after a ride on the Gen III I will try to download the data. After I download the ride I see the power graph briefly (1 sec or less) then it disapears. All other data is downloading and visible. I looked on the excel file and it has no power values. It reads NaN in the window that displays my ride data and also reads NaN in the excel file. During the ride I get power readings on the Gen III screen so for some reason the memory isn't holding the readings. This is confusing me. HR, Speed, and Cadence during the ride are also working fine.

I do need to get some better coast downs as it has been windy here but I don't think that would cause this problem.

The Gen II works perfectly on the other bike and I have no problems downloading the data from the Gen II.

Question 1: Any idea why I can't download my power readings when the Gen III is showing power and all functions during my ride?
Question 2: Is there any problem with me using the Gen II during the week and Gen III on the weekends? Do I need to change any settings on the iBike for windows?

Oh...and the upgrade program is great! I have two power meters for both bikes now and at a good price. I just need to get these bugs out...I'm sure it's probably operator error...HELP!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Power readings not showing during download?

Post by Velocomp »

A bug that we are working on now is the cause of your problem.

There is an incorrect number (zero weight) that has been mysteriously stored in your iBike's profile. We don't yet know why the value "zero" happens and we are investigating.

The profile stored in your iBike is downloaded automatically with each ride file. When the Analyze Power... command is executed, either manually in the "Tools/Analyze Power..." command, or automatically by the "Auto Fine Tune" preference, your power numbers disappear because of the zero weight bug.

Please send a copy of your NaN ride file to jhamann@velocomp.com. It will help us in tracking down the bug.

In the mean time, here is how to fix your NaN problem without waiting for our bug fix.

1) Do NOT erase the ride file on your iBike that is causing you the NaN problems. If you already have erased this ride file, then do another short ride to get new ride data. This ride file, too, will have the bug in it.

2) Launch iBike 3. Go to the command Edit/Preferences... Uncheck the box that says "Auto Fine Tune Ride Data". When this box is checked your ride files are auto-analyzed. We do NOT want the files to be auto analyzed. Click the Accept button.

3) Now, download from your iBike the ride file that is causing problems. You should see your power data in the graph.

4) Save this ride file and email it to the address above.

5) Go to the command Profiles/Edit Profiles...

6) Click the button in the lower left of the window that says "Extract". This command will extract the (defective) profile that is stored in your iBike.

7) You might get a message saying that this profile is already stored in iBike 3. If you get this message, then increase your friction number very slightly so you can store the profile. Click Accept. The Profile window will appear.

8) In the Profile Note, put the message "Repaired NaN profile". Give your profile name a slightly different name too.

9) In the Profile window, note the number that is in the Total Weight box.

10) Click the "Advanced Profile Settings..." button. A new window will appear.

11) In the new window, look at the Weight number in the top right corner. It will be zero; this is the source of the NaN problem and no watts problem. In fact, this number should be the same weight that you see in the main Profile screen.

12) Highlight the "0" in the Weight box, then type in the Weight you noted from the main Profile window. IMPORTANT: click the "Accept" button in the Advanced Profile window. The Advanced Profile Window will disappear.

13) In the main profile window, click the "Send to iBike" command. This will send the corrected profile to your iBike and get rid of the NaN problem for future rides.

14) To save the "fixed" profile, give it a different name in the Profile Name box. IMPORTANT: Click the "Accept" button to save this profile.

The steps above will get rid of the NaN problem for future rides, even when the rides are auto-fine tuned.

The NaN problem occurs when the "Tools/Analyze Power..." command is executed with a defective profile (i.e. zero weight). This command is executed automatically when the "Auto Fine Tune..." preference is set.

For your "defective" ride file, you can now use the Analyze Power command with the fixed profile you created. Use the command "Tools/Switch Profile After the Ride", select the profile that was created in the steps above, then click the Accept" button. When the Tools/Analyze Power... command is executed, you will no longer get NaN for watts.

We hope to squash this bug very soon and will keep you posted.
John Hamann
perezjap

Re: Power readings not showing during download?

Post by perezjap »

John,

Thanks. Your solution fixed the problem. I will stay posted for the FW update.

I had already deleted the bugged file. I can try to replicate if you need.