DFPM Cadence Sensing

turbomentor

DFPM Cadence Sensing

Post by turbomentor »

I just got a PT laced to a wheel with a nice wheel cover for racing. It was a good deal so why not? :)

I have been reading the instructions on how to pair it with my iAero GIII and it says not to use the iBike cadence sensor since the DFPM supplies it's own cadence signal.

While I know it's the case that PT does put out a cadence signal, I think I remember reading that it's a "virtual" signal and not really picking up actual rider cadence. If this is the case, why wouldn't I want to use the cadence from the iBike since it is measured directly? Or am I getting the sense that the two signals will somehow interfere with each other?

In any case, I'm going to experiment tomorrow when I get my bike reassembled. New BB going in but bike shop gave me the wong size to I can't even pedal on the trainer to test the iAero + PT :(
R Mc

Re: DFPM Cadence Sensing

Post by R Mc »

I'm not sure how much help I can provide, but it might make a difference what sort of PT hardware you have. The PT hub sensor does provide an estimated cadence, BUT the wired pt mount also accepts a cadence sensor. I'm not certain, but I have to think that the wireless pt also supports a wireless cadence sensor.

In the setup screens for the PT (either with Poweragent from your computer or in the headunit's setup) you can choose how the pt records cadence--either from the hub sensor, from the cadence sensor, both, or none.

Here's hoping it works better than the hr sensor . . .
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

For your wireless PT ANT+ to work with your iBike, three conditions must be met:

1) You need a Gen III iAero

1) Your Gen III iAero needs firmware 3.0.3. If you need this firmware email us and we will send it to you. We will post this firmware soon.

3) Your wireless PT needs to have ANT+ firmware installed in it. You need to get this firmware from PowerTap.
John Hamann
turbomentor

Post by turbomentor »

The PT CPU I got is ANT+ sport compliant. Very easy to go into the setup and input the iBike cadence sensor ID #. Same thing with HR strap and speed sensor. This ensures that both iBike and PT CPU are using the same sensors.

The PT hub I got is NOT ANT+ Sport compliant: I have ordered the firmware updater from Saris and once I update the firmware on the PT hub, I will report back on the pairing procedure. Should be a piece of cake as the PT CPU picked up the cadence sensor right away...and I already know the PT Hub ID # so I can put that into the iBike profile. Man this is too easy!!
ludlaw

Post by ludlaw »

I have my iAero set up with my PT ANT+. I use the cadence signal from the PT hub. I did try using the cadence signal from the iBike sensor and the power numbers being read out on the iAero became significantly distorted (I was also reading out the power on my PT cpu). I went back into the iAero setup and turned off the cadence and things went back to normal with a correct power and cadence readout.
turbomentor

Post by turbomentor »

turbomentor wrote:The PT CPU I got is ANT+ sport compliant. Very easy to go into the setup and input the iBike cadence sensor ID #. Same thing with HR strap and speed sensor. This ensures that both iBike and PT CPU are using the same sensors.

The PT hub I got is NOT ANT+ Sport compliant: I have ordered the firmware updater from Saris and once I update the firmware on the PT hub, I will report back on the pairing procedure. Should be a piece of cake as the PT CPU picked up the cadence sensor right away...and I already know the PT Hub ID # so I can put that into the iBike profile. Man this is too easy!!
The ANT+ sport updater from Saris could not be easier to install/work. Took all of 5 mins, most of that time was spent carefully unscrewing the PT cover. The update process itself took about 30 secs.

iAero picks up spd, cad, HR and Pin signals no problem.
I also set up the PT CPU to pick up the iAero's spd and cadence sensors. You can also buy a cadence sensor from Saris, but it's all ANT+ sport compliant, so I just use what I've got. Now I feel like I'm rolling down the road immersed in a cloud of data that emanates from the PT hub and other sensors and displays on the iAero!
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

That's great! I am glad that you are seeing all the benefits of using the iAero, and using it in conjunction with one of our competitors (wait, did I just say that right?).

Just make sure not to spend too much time looking down. Those curves in the road can sneak up on you.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories