Questions about PP V5

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Questions about PP V5

Post by Velocomp »

The questions below were posted on another forum. I think they are really good, so I thought I would post answers here, letting velocompforum readers have easy access to them.

Answers are in CAPS (for clarity, not yelling :D )

1. What is the battery life of the PP v5? What impacts the battery life? Under what conditions does it sleep?

A FULLY CHARGED PP WILL GO FOR ABOUT 25 HOURS OF RIDING. UNIT CAN BE TURNED OFF MANUALLY (5 CLICKS OF BUTTON). UNIT TURNS OFF AUTOMATICALLY AFTER 5 MINUTES OF ZERO SPEED.

2. If I have brackets on two bikes and switch the Powerpod between bikes, do the brackets still need to be oriented the exact same way for best accuracy? Eg. the same tilt?

NO. YOU WILL CALIBRATE ONCE FOR EACH BIKE. WHEN YOU MOVE PP FROM BIKE TO BIKE, ANY DIFFERENCES IN TILT ANGLE WILL BE AUTO-CORRECTED DURING THE FIRST 90 SECONDS OF THE RIDE.

3. How long is the pitot tube? My cables are 6 inches and 7 inches in front of my handlebars and my bike shop says they cannot be run underneath the handlebar tape. I remain concerned that the cables will interfere with air intake by the pitot tube.

PITOT TUBE IS ABOUT 4 INCHES LONG. IT IS EXTREMELY UNLIKELY THERE WILL BE ANY INTERFERENCE; CABLES ARE THIN AND CREATE VERY LITTLE WIND "WAKE".

4. What is a Combo PP and Garmin/Wahoo/Bryton Out front mount? Does it mean the PP and a head-unit can co-exist (at the same time) on the same out front mount?

YES. THE COMBO MOUNT PUTS YOUR GARMIN/WAHOO IN FRONT OF THE HANDLEBARS, AND THE PP ATTACHES IMMEDIATELY BENEATH IT.

5. What about the Speed sensor Velocomp sells? Is it also a cadence sensor? Is it a gyroscopic sensor?

WE SELL A MAGNET-BASED SPEED SENSOR (RIGHT NOW, IF YOU BUY A PP, YOU GET TWO SPEED SENSORS AT NO EXTRA CHARGE). IT IS NOT A CADENCE SENSOR, AND IT IS NOT GYROSCOPIC.
6. What are estimated shipping timelines?

WE HAVE UNITS IN STOCK AND SHIP IN 24-48 HOURS.
How impacted is Velocomp by supply chain issues?

NO IMPACT.
Including the current issues in Shanghai, China?

WE DO NOT MANUFACTURE IN CHINA (WE ASSEMBLE IN USA), SO THERE IS NO IMPACT.
John Hamann
Sam314

Re: Questions about PP V5

Post by Sam314 »

Thanks for the earlier responses. More questions:

1. I understand the PP transmits L/R power and that total power closely matches the same from a DFPM. What about L/R power balance? Does that also closely match DFPM?

2. How well does the Powerpod deal with calculating an accurate power number in a cross wind? For example, a 30 km/h cross wind impacts a cyclists forward mobility a lot more than a 5 km/h cross wind.

3. My handlebar is 25.4 but the PPv5 handlebar mount is for 31.8 mm handlebars. What are my options to properly fit the PPv5 onto my bars?

4. If I purchase a combo mount for Garmin and place the PP v5 on the underside of the Garmin mount, then it appears the cables will directly interfere with the air-intake. But if it is on top, it can hopefully escape it. This leads me to a few more questions:
a) Assume I install the PP on a Garmin out-front combo mount. What is the distance from the front edge of the handle bars to the end of the pitot tube? This will help me to better guage how far it will be from the cables. NOTE: my bar is 25.4 mm.
b) Can I place the PP on the top side of a Garmin out-front mount? I could place the actual Garmin elsewhere (eg. stem).
c) Does Velocomp have its own out-front mounting system, independent of Garmin?
d) I have read that if the PP is removed from the bike, then put back into the bracket it should be tilted until it "clicks". This ensures the tilt remains consistent. Is this "click" functionality compromised for alternative mount options (for example, combo mount)? Or is the "click" functionality independent of mount type?

5. After I complete a ride, I'll want to analyze the ride using the Isaac software; what is the process to do this? I expect the data collected by the PP will need to be transferred somewhere so Isaac can do its analysis. Where is the data transferred to? Is it automatic and wireless? Or do I need to manually connect the PP to my Windows 10 computer via cable? Or some other mechanism?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Sam314 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:21 am Thanks for the earlier responses. More questions:

1. I understand the PP transmits L/R power and that total power closely matches the same from a DFPM. What about L/R power balance? Does that also closely match DFPM?

A: L/R is measured using our PowerStroke feature. You'll see variations in front-to-back and side-to-side pedaling smoothness. PowerStroke shows imbalance between L/R pedaling power, but it isn't measured in %.

2. How well does the Powerpod deal with calculating an accurate power number in a cross wind? For example, a 30 km/h cross wind impacts a cyclists forward mobility a lot more than a 5 km/h cross wind.

A: The issue is not cross-winds, per se, but the MAGNITUDE of the cross wind. A 5km/h cross wind (at a 45 degree angle) presents a headwind to the cyclist of about 3.5 km/h. A 30km/h cross wind at the same angle provides a headwind of 21 km/h. That's why it's tougher to ride in large crosswinds.

3. My handlebar is 25.4 but the PPv5 handlebar mount is for 31.8 mm handlebars. What are my options to properly fit the PPv5 onto my bars?

A: We can ship you an adapter that permits attachment of PP to a smaller diameter handlebar. Make sure to make the request in your order notes.

4. If I purchase a combo mount for Garmin and place the PP v5 on the underside of the Garmin mount, then it appears the cables will directly interfere with the air-intake. But if it is on top, it can hopefully escape it. This leads me to a few more questions:
a) Assume I install the PP on a Garmin out-front combo mount. What is the distance from the front edge of the handle bars to the end of the pitot tube? This will help me to better guage how far it will be from the cables. NOTE: my bar is 25.4 mm.

A: about 7"

Please send a photo showing the layout of your cables. I suspect a conventional setup will be fine.

b) Can I place the PP on the top side of a Garmin out-front mount? I could place the actual Garmin elsewhere (eg. stem).

A: Yes

c) Does Velocomp have its own out-front mounting system, independent of Garmin?

A: No

d) I have read that if the PP is removed from the bike, then put back into the bracket it should be tilted until it "clicks". This ensures the tilt remains consistent. Is this "click" functionality compromised for alternative mount options (for example, combo mount)? Or is the "click" functionality independent of mount type?

A: There isn't a click. There is a stop in PP that prevents it from being rotated in the mount, beyond a certain point. This works with all mount types

5. After I complete a ride, I'll want to analyze the ride using the Isaac software; what is the process to do this?

A: You install Isaac software on your PC, then download your rides via USB cable from PP to your PC.

I expect the data collected by the PP will need to be transferred somewhere so Isaac can do its analysis. Where is the data transferred to?

A: Your computer

Is it automatic and wireless?

A: No. You connect to your PC via a USB cable, included.

Or do I need to manually connect the PP to my Windows 10 computer via cable?

A: Yes

Or some other mechanism?
John Hamann
Sam314

Post by Sam314 »

Here are three photos. You may notice the drops in the handlebars are angled down. This is intentional. A bike fitter had set it up this way a number of years earlier. It had been parallel to the ground and I just rotated them again last night. With this new rotation the PP would probably be better underneath the handlebars, instead of on top. Alternatively, if I placed it on the Garmin mount, the pitot might even extend beyond the cables.

I am also considering another bike fit at some point this summer, so it might change things again.
Attachments
photos showing layout of cables
20220422_200750.jpg (151.88 KiB) Viewed 10799 times
20220422_200649.jpg (209.3 KiB) Viewed 10799 times
20220422_200731.jpg (215.09 KiB) Viewed 10799 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Where your front mount is now will work fine with our Combo mount.

Alternatively, you could attach the front mount to the right side of your HB, and place the bell on the other side. That would put the PP in the center of the bike.

Either way will work well.
John Hamann
Sam314

Post by Sam314 »

1. I rotated the handlebars a bit downwards. Can you check again re: placement for the PP? I have attached new photos. If it works well on the handlebars, then I could avoid shelling out additional cash for a bracket.
2. "We can ship you an adapter that permits attachment of PP to a smaller diameter handlebar. Make sure to make the request in your order notes".
• Is this adapter additional cost? If yes, how much?
3. When does 30 day warranty start and stop?
eg. Start at time of order? At time of shipment? At time I receive the unit? I think this last one makes the most sense.
eg. Finish at time of RMA request? At time return shipment is dropped off? At time Velocomp receives the returned unit? I think the first one makes the most sense.
4. I have a desktop computer that is on the upper level. This means I’ll need to remove the PP from the bike to upload the ride to Isaac. But I have read this introduces issues, because the unit may be installed slightly differently. I do not really understand how it can be installed differently, because there is a “stop” in the mount that ensures the PP is installed the same way as before (same angle, etc). How much of an issue is this?
5. From page 18 of Isaac manual: “optional GPS Tracker feature installed on your Device, then you’re in for an extra treat; you can view your bike route and overlay your device’s data onto your route!”
• Can the same be accomplished with GPS on my Garmin device? Perhaps by merging?
6. I would like to get a head start on device setup. The Isaac documentation indicated the Isaac software prompts you to input data. In other words, I need to answer some questions. Is there any way I can get these questions ahead of time? This way I can do the preparation work in advance and I'll just need to input the information into Isaac when the unit arrives.
7. Calibration. I want a good quality, clean, calibration - preferably on my first attempt! I have read the instructions from the Isaac Software (Help / Help Documents / PowerPod Calibration); but I have additional questions, in part based on an excerpt from DC Rainmaker's 2016 Review: "I’ve found that if I get a ‘clean’ calibration ride without any wonky stops/rough roads/etc, it works great. But, if I get stuck at numerous stop-signs or have weird roads, then the calibration is off".
Here is what I think I know about calibration:
a) For a good quality, clean calibration a relatively flat, straight, low-traffic road with zero stops is best.
b) I get "one kick at the can" to calibrate. If I miss, I need to return to my desktop computer at home, connect the PP again, and use Isaac to configure it again for a calibration ride.
c) It is best to cycle both "out" and "back" with the same pedalling effort; i.e., pushing out approximately the same watts for the entire calibration ride
Here are some facts:
i) I live in a sprawling Urban area (Toronto) with lots of traffic, stop signs, traffic lights, and small hills - and also lots of rough streets.
ii) "11th Concession" is the nearest road I can think of that satisfies the conditions for (a) above. This road is more than a two hour bike ride away (one way). Cycling to this road is not an issue - I have done it many times in the past. But it is far enough away that I want my first calibration to be successful.
iii) There is a park nearby with wide multi-use paths. But it does not satisfy (a) above. It is not straight, there is often foot traffic, and there are slopes that require me to cycle up in a low gear and then the other way in the large chainring. I kind of doubt this provides a good "platform" to calibrate.

And finally my questions related to calibration
A) "11th Concession" likely has a grade of 1% to 3% (and it is largely consistent). So my "out" ride may be slightly uphill at 20 km/h. Then my "back" ride could be 22 km/h (or faster). Does this difference in speed matter? What if the difference in speed is greater (eg. 20 and 26 km/h OR 20 and 30 km/h)?
B) How does the PP determine when the "back" portion of the calibration is finished? Is it after five minutes? Or when the "back" gets back to the original start position? This matters, because if I start 50 metres from a busy road, ride 5 minutes "out" at 20 km/h, then ride 5 minutes "back" at 22 km/h, then I may hit the busy road on the "back" portion and need to stop. Plus, "11th Concession" ends at this busy road.
C) It will be simple enough to put out similar pedalling effort for "out" and "back", but if one is a bit uphill and into the wind, then the "similar effort" would require me to change gears for the "back" portion of the ride (downhill and tail wind). Does riding in a different gear ratio for "out" and "back" compromise a good quality calibration?
D) Re: (iii) above. Does switching gears compromise a good quality calibration during a ride? For this park, I probably could ride for 5 minutes, but the "out" portion would have me in different gears for different sections of the ride. And when I am climbing, I would be putting out more effort than when I am relatively flat. The climb I am talking about is probably 5% to 6% (but this is a guess).
Attachments
20220426_171733.jpg
20220426_171733.jpg (153.86 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
20220426_171936.jpg
20220426_171936.jpg (172.28 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
20220426_171750.jpg
20220426_171750.jpg (167.09 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
Sam314

Post by Sam314 »

I am very close to ordering the PP v5, but I have not seen any response to the questions I posed a week ago. I have asked questions in the past, and the response has always been timely. Has something changed? Thanks. :?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Sam314 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:56 am I am very close to ordering the PP v5, but I have not seen any response to the questions I posed a week ago. I have asked questions in the past, and the response has always been timely. Has something changed? Thanks. :?
Nope...just missed your latest post :-)

1. Handlebar position looks fine
2. No charge for adapter.
3. 30 return period starts after you receive the unit. Warranty is 1 year
4. If you remove PP from your handlebars, the longest it will take for recalibration is the first 90 seconds of your next ride.
5. Yes, you can merge Garmin .tcx or .gpx files into Isaac...no charge
6. Questions are: body weight, bike weight, rider height, rider ride position, wheel circumference, road surface type. You probably have answers already!
7. Ray's review is 6 years old.

a) Calibration procedures have improved considerably (and are much less time consuming now). You need a route that allows you to ride, without drafting, for about 3 minutes. Then, turn around and ride back. If you come to a complete stop for an extended period of time the calibration will restart. If you're slowing down for stop signs, and pedal slowly through them, that's fine.
b) No. If you want to recalibrate simply re-pair your PP to your ANT sensors; this will initiate a cal ride, without having the need to connect to Isaac
c) You don't have to pedal with the same effort
ii) ok
iii) Uphill/downhill as you describe it will work

A) speed difference and slope difference does not matter.
B) when you ride "out", watts will slowly climb to 50W (50% complete). You will slow down, turn around, ride back. PP detects slow-down as turn-around. Watts will climb from 50 to 100 (100%). Cal ride is complete.
Out portion takes only about 3 minutes at comfortable speed.
C) gear ratios don't affect anything.
D) switching gears has no effect.

Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions
John Hamann
Sam314

Post by Sam314 »

I just ordered the PPv5. Earlier in this thread you said "We can ship you an adapter that permits attachment of PP to a smaller diameter handlebar. Make sure to make the request in your order notes". I did not see any opportunity to submit "order notes", therefore no opportunity to request this adapter. There was an option (in a drop down combo box) to request "an additional AeroPod / PowerPod handlebar mount", but I don't think this refers to the adapter I am requesting.

Please send **two** of these adapters (that permits attachment of PP to a smaller diameter handlebar). One for each bike.

ALSO, do you have an estimate of how long it usually takes for a package sent using USPS to arrive in Toronto, Canada?

Thanks,

Sam