Indications of Bad Profile/Training Zones

Sarg

Indications of Bad Profile/Training Zones

Post by Sarg »

Are there universal signs that might indicate that you have a bad profile? The reason I ask is the discrepancy between avg. watts after I do detailed analysis. The "raw" data indicates I am averaging 236 watts during an interval, where the post analysis indicates I am averaging 221 watts. Am I correct in assuming that the "raw" data is an average of what is showing during the actual ride? If the "raw" data is an average of what is showing during the ride then it seems to me that this is what I should use for training zones since I can monitor it in real time during my ride, regardless as to whether it is accurate or not...as long as it is consistent in its inaccuracy then it is useful in real time. Any thoughts or comments? I have attached some images.
Before & After Analysis.jpg
Before & After Analysis.jpg (48.16 KiB) Viewed 4624 times
Sarg

Re: Indications of Bad Profile/Training Zones

Post by Sarg »

Here is a screen shot of the tilt & power page.
tilt-power1.jpg
tilt-power1.jpg (82.05 KiB) Viewed 4638 times
Sarg

Post by Sarg »

Here is a screenshot of the profile I used. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

John
PROFILE1.jpg
PROFILE1.jpg (54.07 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Sarg wrote: If the "raw" data is an average of what is showing during the ride then it seems to me that this is what I should use for training zones since I can monitor it in real time during my ride, regardless as to whether it is accurate or not...as long as it is consistent in its inaccuracy then it is useful in real time.
You've hit the nail dead square on the head. Consistency is the key. As long as you use this profile and you do your wind and tilt calibrations before every ride you will have consistent results. Whether you produce 129 or 135 watts doesn't much matter (at least to me) as long as you have a higher goal and achieve it. Then you can raise the bar a bit more.

The advantage of post analysis is to compensate for errors in either calibration or possibly a situation on the road like hitting a massive hole that throws the tilt off. The post analysis will correct that.

Is this an out and back ride? I assume no (although it looks like one) because you have an average slope of 3.43. An out and back ride should normally end up with a slope average of virtually zero.
Fernando
rruff

Post by rruff »

racerfern wrote:Is this an out and back ride? I assume no (although it looks like one) because you have an average slope of 3.43. An out and back ride should normally end up with a slope average of virtually zero.
In this case it looks like the tilt was right on (since the beginning and ending altitude are the same) and the altimeter was off... maybe due to barometric pressure change? I wouldn't apply a tilt correction to that.

BTW... Sarg, where is the iBike mounted? Do you have an aero setup? CdA looks pretty small and Crr looks a little large... and I'm surprised at the high wind scaling factor.
Sarg

Post by Sarg »

As always, I would like to express my gratitude to people responding to my post. To answer Racerfern's question, this is not exactly an out and back ride. I rode to a location where I do some hill intervals on a particular hill but I did not take the exact route back home as I did to the hill. To answer Rruff's question, I have the Ibike mounted on a Topeak bar-xtender which places the Ibike head unit below and to the left of the stem. The bike is a Cervelo Soloist road bike that I use to do Time Trials and since I use clip-on TT bars, that is why the Ibike is mounted on the Topeak Bar Extenter and not the handelbars.