Trainer Setting Doesn't Work when Using Fan

DavidSkater

Trainer Setting Doesn't Work when Using Fan

Post by DavidSkater »

I currently use the Newton+ and have had difficulty with the Trainer setting not seeming to work when I have my fan on. The iBike is definitely on the "Trainer On" setting, but, when I am using a fan it seems to be trying to calculate power from wind speed. I heard at one time that the iBike automatically switches OFF the trainer mode if it detects any wind. But this is a bit frustrating because just about everyone uses a fan on an indoor trainer. Is there a work around for this or am I doing something wrong? It would seem that if the iBike says "Trainer On", then the Trainer SHOULD actually be on. -- Many Thanks!
cjonbike

Re: Trainer Setting Doesn't Work when Using Fan

Post by cjonbike »

You need to block the air intake opening. With air hitting the port it takes the Newton out of trainer mode!
DavidSkater

Post by DavidSkater »

That seems like a very sub optimal workaround. How long does one have to block the intake port from air during the ride? It would seem that if the trainer mode is on it should actually be on. What are some good ways to block the intake port? There has to be an easier way as everyone uses a fan when riding on their indoor trainer???
cjonbike

Post by cjonbike »

I put a piece of tape over it, and pull it off when I go outdoors!
DavidSkater

Post by DavidSkater »

Wow! Seriously on the tape? This would be a simple firmware fix. Hmmmm
cjonbike

Post by cjonbike »

Velocomp put this into the firmware, as to many people were forgetting to take the unit out of trainer mode when they went back outside!
TriBike

Post by TriBike »

cjonbike wrote:Velocomp put this into the firmware, as to many people were forgetting to take the unit out of trainer mode when they went back outside!
Correct
DavidSkater

Post by DavidSkater »

So there is no possible way to use the iBike with a trainer and fan without putting tape over the port? That is amazing! This important fact is not in the owners manual. So, one needs to depend on tribal knowledge to do this basic function. I'm surprised more people haven't complained about it?
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

The complaints were about not remembering to get out of Trainer mode out on the road.

Tom
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

DavidSkater wrote:So there is no possible way to use the iBike with a trainer and fan without putting tape over the port? That is amazing! This important fact is not in the owners manual. So, one needs to depend on tribal knowledge to do this basic function. I'm surprised more people haven't complained about it?
Some people use fans with their indoor trainers, some don't. Some people ride outdoors, some don't.

When we first implemented the indoor trainer feature, the following spring we started getting lots of complaints that ride watts were way off. When we looked into the problem we discovered that users were doing outdoor rides, with their indoor trainer function turned on. The iBike does what it's told to do...

To get around this user setting mistake, we implemented a change that would cause the indoor trainer function to turn off automatically if a high wind speed (10 mph, I think) was detected. We thought it would be difficult for the iBike to record that large an opposing wind speed, unless the person was riding outdoors.

It now seems that our assumption was not correct, and we agree that the "tape" fix requires tribal knowledge.

So, we propose a change.

We will eliminate the wind speed detection trigger that currently is in place. Instead, whenever the iBike is awakened, or whenever a new ride is started, only when the indoor trainer mode is turned on, the message "trnr on" will appear on the screen, and stay there, until you clear the message by clicking the center button. If your intention is to do an indoor ride, then you're all set. If you're riding outdoors and your indoor trainer function is ON, then the message informs you that you'll need to go into Setup and set trnr to off. If you're riding outdoors and do not set trnr off , your outdoor ride will be recorded in indoor mode, and your ride file will be junk. But it's your fault; you were warned... :D

Comments?
John Hamann
cjonbike

Post by cjonbike »

I for one like this solution!
DavidSkater

Post by DavidSkater »

John, that is an outstanding solution and one that should seem very intuitive to users. As usual, iBike has outstanding customer focus and responsiveness which is yet another competitive advantage of your products Bravo!
DavidSkater

Post by DavidSkater »

BTW, my problems just started last month when I bought a new (more powerful) fan at the same time I upgraded to the new (more powerful) Newton. So, I figured it was the Newton causing the "new" problem. LOL
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

DavidSkater wrote:John, that is an outstanding solution and one that should seem very intuitive to users. As usual, iBike has outstanding customer focus and responsiveness which is yet another competitive advantage of your products Bravo!
We've already got beta FW. We will release it next week.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

DavidSkater wrote:John, that is an outstanding solution and one that should seem very intuitive to users. As usual, iBike has outstanding customer focus and responsiveness which is yet another competitive advantage of your products Bravo!
OK, OS 2.15 is ready to release. Here are its release notes:

OS 2.15 adds improvements to the Indoor Trainer feature. The Indoor Trainer feature is standard in the Newton+, and optional in the Newton.

The Indoor Trainer feature is made active by the user (Setup/User Yes/trnr on). Whenever the indoor trainer feature is active, a notification ("trnr on") appears on the Newton screen each time the Newton is awakened from sleep, and each time a Trip Reset is performed.

The "trnr on" notification remains on the screen until the center button is clicked. Clicking the center button causes the notification message to be dismissed. The Newton main screen appears and the indoor trainer ride can be started.

Whenever the "trnr on" notification appears, the user also has the option to turn off the indoor trainer function. Press-hold the center button; the word "on" flashes. Use the up arrow to set the flashing word to "off". Click the center button to accept. The word "done" flashes for a few seconds, and then the main screen appears. The Indoor Trainer feature is now turned off, and your Newton is set for outdoor riding.

Also note that, with this change, it is no longer necessary to block the wind port when using the Newton indoors.
John Hamann
DavidSkater

Post by DavidSkater »

Thanks again John. Although, the tape solution did work swimmingly this morning. . . its just not very elegant solution. :)
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (120.82 KiB) Viewed 12164 times