Validation of Coast down and 4-mile ride data

carstenj

Validation of Coast down and 4-mile ride data

Post by carstenj »

I just got my new iAero :-) and I have been doing 2 calibration rides each consisting of about 10 coast downs followed by the 4-mile ride. The big question is now how do I validate the profiles created on the basis on these data. Can I somehow by looking at all the numbers tell if one calibration ride is better than the other and if so, what should I look for.
racerfern

Re: Validation of Coast down and 4-mile ride data

Post by racerfern »

How different is the data from one set of coastdown calibrations to the other?
Fernando
carstenj

Post by carstenj »

I am not sure how to measure the difference in the 2 calibration rides. Here are the coefficients from the first ride

Aero 0,294
Fric 11,628
Wind Scaling 0,872
Riding Tilt -1,354
CdA 0,337
Crr 0,0017

and for the second ride I got

Aero 0,299
Fric 11,463
Wind Scaling 0,755
Riding Tilt -1,096
CdA 0,395
Crr 0,0040

I am a newbie with the iAero and power measurement so I am not too confident in interpreting these numbers.

These numbers were produces on a flat road of excellent quality surface, no traffic light, and very limited other traffic (only bikes and people roller blading). I am riding a hardtail mountain bike with front suspension fork that was locked during the calibration rides.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Carsten:

Your rides were amazingly close. You had less than a 1% difference between aero and frictional drag between the two rides. The primary difference was due to a difference in riding tilt, which is indicative of a possibly different weight distribution on your bike (i.e. how you sat on the bike or how the bike flexed).

Either of these profiles will work well. The watts reported by either profile will be quite close.

Time to get outside and ride! :-)
John Hamann
carstenj

Post by carstenj »

Thanks for the feedback. I am however still looking for a way to validate a calibration ride by looking at the output numbers, e.g. that CdA is within a certain interval or similar.