Newbie questions

JimGnitecki

Newbie questions

Post by JimGnitecki »

I have been researching bicycle computers and have pretty much settled on buying a iBike Dash+Power just after the end of the month. But, I'm a little confused after going through the iBike website and then this forum. Questions:

- When I buy the Dash+Power, I need to download 2 separate pieces of software, right? The iBike app for my iPhone 4 from iTunes, and the iBike software from the iBike website? (Anticipating this, I have downloaded the iBike 6.1.2 software and have been playing with it a bit to learn it)

- The "instruction manual" for the iBike software keeps referring to doing a Fitness test from the "Options" menu, but I cannot find an "options" menu in the iBike software interface. Or, is that is the APP that goes on the iPhone?

-Once I get the Dash+Power, I need to do some calibration, right? An out and back loop, and then (optionally) some coast downs?

- I have to, or should, do both a tile calibration and a wind calibration each time I go out?

- Does the remote wind sensor apply as an option to the Dash+Power, or is that for one of the other iBike products? I'm asking because it did not appear as an option when looking at the Dash+Power products list.

- I have a Quintana Roo CD0.1 try bike with the Vision aero cockpit. Will the stem mount work well with this bike setup?

Jim G
Last edited by JimGnitecki on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Newbie questions

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, you download both the iBike app and the iBike software. Both are free and can be downloaded immediately

The Options button is at the bottom of the main screen of the iBike app. Since the iBike app ships in demo mode, you'll need to get it out of demo mode to see the button. Press-hold the Home button at the top left of the app, then end the ride. The Option button will appear. Touch it, go to Advanced Options, and turn Enable Demo Mode to Off. Then you'll have full access to Options at all times.

Fitness Test is in the Training Features section of the app.

Yes, you'll do normal setup of the + Power.

No, you do one tilt cal only. You do not have to do a wind cal prior to each ride, due to the improved performance of the + Power wind sensor.

The RWS is different for Gen III and Dash/Newton models.
John Hamann
JimGnitecki

Post by JimGnitecki »

1. Will the Dash+Power stem mount work with my Vision aero cockpit? I have approximately 2.75 inches between my elbow rests.

2. I gather that the Dash+Power does not use a USB device to communicate between the iPhone and my Mac computer. I know that the data file after a ride is emailed to my gmail email address. How does the iBike software on the Mac know where to look for the data file? Is that an initial configuration item that I do?

3. Given the absence of a USB connection, how does any profile or other change I make on the iBike software on the Mac get communicated to the iPhone-based iBike app?

Jim G
rcmaps

Post by rcmaps »

JimGnitecki wrote: 2. I gather that the Dash+Power does not use a USB device to communicate between the iPhone and my Mac computer. I know that the data file after a ride is emailed to my gmail email address. How does the iBike software on the Mac know where to look for the data file? Is that an initial configuration item that I do?
Jim G
Yes, after finishing the ride, you tap on Options - End Current Ride. Then go to Send Ride File and tap on "Send" which will email the file to one or more email addresses configured under Advanced Options - Set Email Addresses
JimGnitecki wrote: 3. Given the absence of a USB connection, how does any profile or other change I make on the iBike software on the Mac get communicated to the iPhone-based iBike app?

Jim G
Changes in the Mac software will not get transferred/uploaded to iphone ibike app.

This is set/changed in the ibike App, under Advanced Options-Check iDash settings
rcmaps

Post by rcmaps »

JimGnitecki wrote:How does the iBike software on the Mac know where to look for the data file? Is that an initial configuration item that I do?

Jim G
Yes, you set the file folder or location of saved ibike files under the iBike computer software. Under Windows system, it is default to My Documents\iBike Rides