Help me with my Tilt OCD, please!

GrittyGoober

Help me with my Tilt OCD, please!

Post by GrittyGoober »

I love my ibike. It makes riding a lot more fun and interesting. However, tilt has me puzzled.

I do a tilt adjustment at the beginning of every ride because it is always off. That is, what I know to be about a .5% grade shows as 3% or so, and when I check the grade it will show 3% in one direction, and 1.5% in the other direction (180 degree opposite direction). I expect done direction to be + x% and the opposite direction to be close to - x%.

I've read that I don't need to do a tilt at the beginning of every ride. And to be honest, I am sick of doing it. I have also read that the iBike auto-corrects tilt as I ride.

So, what is the story? Is what I am seeing the auto-corrected tilt from the previous ride when I had my butt on the seat? Can I just let it go and not worry about it? If so, how long should it take the unit to dial tilt back in?

I have also noticed that when I stop to refuel mid ride and hang out long enough for the iBike to shut off, when I start riding again (without having removed the unit) tilt is all whacky again until it auto-corrects. Is this normal? I have actually started re-doing tilts mid ride.

Help me with my tilt OCD, please.
racerfern

Re: Help me with my Tilt OCD, please!

Post by racerfern »

Tilt OCD! I love it. Your accurate tilt calibration is not attached to your profile. Here's the solution so you can move on.

Do a proper tilt calibration.
Now connect the iBike to the computer and retrieve the profile from the iBike. You might get a message that you have an existing profile that matches. Assuming you do get this message, go to that profile and in the Advanced Tab click on Get from iBike just above the Tilt Cal and the asterisks. That will grab your tilt calibration from the iBike. When you get a "Done" message, click Done, click Accept. Now your proper tilt calibration is part of your profile.

Go back into Edit profiles and "Send" your profile to the ibike. From here on everytime you start riding you'll have the proper tilt calibration.

All that said, the iBike "fixes" itself with regard to tilt after 5 minutes of riding. This will cure your OCD and you'll never have to do a tilt calibration again until you change something. You won't even need to do a tilt cal before starting out, just do a wind offset and start riding.
Fernando
GrittyGoober

Post by GrittyGoober »

That seems to have solved the problem. Thank you! I am on the way to recovery.
mtbdcd

Post by mtbdcd »

I have an isport and been having this problem for quite some time, just living with the first 5 minutes being wrong.
Plus does not remember time, date, etc.
Do not have the ipro computer interface, is there another way to get it to save the tilt, etc.
Also, says memory full, how can i clear that? Probably the two problems are related.
thanks.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

With an iSport simply do a careful tilt calibration and you'll be all set. The new tilt calibration becomes part of the profile in the iSport.

For your full memory, go to setup, hit the up button until you get to erase data, then hit the center button to confirm.

One issue has nothing to do with the other more than likely.
Fernando
mtbdcd

Post by mtbdcd »

Have set tilt probably 100 times, then ride ok, then one of the next times, wrong again.

Also, on my ibike, in setup goes in this order on setup, tilt, wind, fast start, user, racr, cal wind, cal tilt, cal ride, batt, alt weight, scan, set prof, rel 4.24, fast start, ....

No Erase data, and have set date, etc, multiple times and does not retain it.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Write down all your numbers for weight, etc. then do a reset by removing the battery, flipping it over for a second or two then reinstalling a new battery.

Input all your info including time and date and you should be good to go.
Fernando
mtbdcd

Post by mtbdcd »

Did that, it will not reset. Resets the date, but nothing else. Funny remembers my weight, total distance, time, wheel size, but loses date and i guess tilt.
The date resets back to 10-25 2010, that mean anything. Is that the default date?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Some of the metrics are stored to non-volatile memory so it remembers some things but not all. Most importantly it reset the main CPU. So yes, proceed as I suggested with another tilt cal and you should be OK.
Fernando
mtbdcd

Post by mtbdcd »

Thanks. Will give that a shot.