Calibration

still-chasing

Calibration

Post by still-chasing »

I'm doing a re-calibration of my unit and would like to get some advice.
Do I need to do separate CAl ride and coast down for each riding position, or use same CAL ride and do coast downs for each riding position?

On a regular ride, I go about 50-50 between riding hoods and drops. What do you recommend for doing CAL Ride? Do I ride hoods halfway then drops halfway doing Cal Ride. How about coast downs? Say doing 10 coast downs. Do I ride 5 in hoods and 5 in drops?

How do you guys keep track of changes in position during a ride? or should I even bother?

Thanks!
racerfern

Re: Calibration

Post by racerfern »

50-50? That's a lot of riding in the drops. I would do the calride on the hoods. There are a couple of things that will show lower power in the drops even with a hoods profile:
1) Generally you produce less power in the drops as you can't your upper body into it.
2) Your head tends to shield the wind port on the iBike so the unit sees less wind. Less wind is less power produced.

So, riding in the drops when you are more aerodynamic will produce less power and the iBike should show lower power numbers. It's certainly not scientific but at least for me, the amount of time in the drops is relatively small. If anything I tend to spend time on the bartops.
Fernando
still-chasing

Post by still-chasing »

Thanks Fernando.
still-chasing

Post by still-chasing »

I gave up on the coast down features. (for now). It's just too sensitive and my numbers seem to be all over the place. I made peace with just using "Fast Start" and use the default value for Crr which is .005 Did a lot of Cal ride today. Bike commute set up, 4 sets of wheels, rechargeable and wireless only set up. I'm just going to leave it at that...