Profile setup

combellas

Profile setup

Post by combellas »

For same reason looks like my elevation and slope difference is way off. I have tried several tilt cals and ride cal, and my profile gets a value of -1 for the tilt cal with a fixed crr of 0.005. Also, I have tried just tilt cals and get it in my ibike software however I can not see the value under tilt calc extracted from my ibke in the edit profiles, I just see *****

Thanks in advance for the help.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Profile setup

Post by Velocomp »

Riding tilt is determined by the Cal Ride. Do a new cal ride, then check the number.

Make sure to do a careful wind cal and tilt cal before doing the cal ride. Please post a file afterwards.
John Hamann
combellas

Post by combellas »

Thanks for your prompt response John.

Please see attached my cal ride. I got a tilt ride of -1 again, and I was putting iin my original profile a tilt ride of -0.3 since this what I see recommended in most posts.

Thanks,
Attachments
iBike_01_21_2011_1632_3_Miles_CalRide.csv
Cal Ride
(144.89 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please post the ride file that ends in .ibcd4m. That is your actual cal ride file
John Hamann
combellas

Post by combellas »

Please finde attached my cal ride file.

Thanks
Attachments
110122_cal_data.ibcd4m
(600.77 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

There are three cal rides in your file.

All three of them are returning essentially identical results, which is excellent!

The "riding tilt" number you are measuring very consistently is around -1.0%. Riding Tilt is used for two purposes:

1) with Fast Start, to determine the correct value of fric

2) in daily rides, to help provide maximum accuracy of watts during the first 5 minutes of a ride

There is nothing "wrong" with your measurement, particularly given the fact that it is so extremely consistent!

Also, your wind scaling factor (used for wind measurements and CdA determination when used with Fast Start) is very consistent too!

I think you have a very well calibrated iBike.
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-01-22 at 8.12.59 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-01-22 at 8.12.59 AM.png (45.89 KiB) Viewed 7641 times
Screen shot 2011-01-22 at 8.13.09 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-01-22 at 8.13.09 AM.png (44.69 KiB) Viewed 7641 times
Screen shot 2011-01-22 at 8.13.19 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-01-22 at 8.13.19 AM.png (44.72 KiB) Viewed 7646 times
John Hamann
combellas

Post by combellas »

Thanks for your time John. Great feddback. I am finding the ibike a great powermeter and consistent with my old direct power-measure powermeters plus I get great information from wind speed, drafting, effort speed. I have had the ibike for a month and I really enjoying all the features. The only recommendation that I have is to add maybe to the manual a reference of what ranges of CDA to expect based on your height and wind friction correction. I made a naive mistake with my height instead of 72" I put 172" and I was getting a very high CDA like 0.62 ( which I did not know was high at the time) andh gave me very high power values and took me a day to figuere out the problem.

Since I am learning about the Ibike 5 software, I have one more question. I noticed from my ride today , which I started at home and come back, when I use the option ride ended where it began in the analyze route gave me a value around 10 more watts in average that the original file. Could you explain the reason?, andwhich one I should use.

I have attached the file from today , which I made the correction, but you can also extract the original data and see the difference.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
iBike_01_22_2011_1456_28_Miles.csv
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 309 times
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I have similar rides so I'm jumping in here. First, your profile seems to be on the money based on your height and weight.

As far as selecting "Ride ended where it began", I almost always choose "Enter known elevation" and obviously enter the actual numbers. If I return to original download then analyze the ride entering known elevation of say 55' for start and finish, I end up with 165.4 which is within a watt or two of your original ride data. Note, if you're unsure of the starting and ending elevation, then the software does an amazing job of figuring things out for you when mother nature wreaks havoc. But if you know the answers to elevation data, I prefer to manually enter the numbers. I'm just about spot on my numbers for nearly every ride.

One reason the power shows higher is due to barometric changes, the recorded elevation was on the rise as the barometric pressure dropped. Sometimes you'll see it going the other way as barometric pressure increases the altimeter shows lower and lower. I ride by the ocean (left coast) and huge barometric swings are commonplace. It appears you may be close to the ocean also (maybe not).
Fernando
combellas

Post by combellas »

Thanks Fernando. You are exactly ride the barometric pressure was dropping at that time substantially since I live close to the Ocean. I found that I can use the the option set pressure and will use the barometric data from the nearby airpot at the time of the ride. What you think about this option?.

About the ride ended where iy began, I noticed that average out the ground wind velocity to zero, instead of -1 without the correction. This will make that the overall average power increase more than 10 watts. Since I know the wind increase during the time of my ride, the conditions where different when I was comming back so this option is not valid.

Thanks for the suggestion on the known elevation.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I fooled around with the barometric option and found almost no difference. I believe that only exists for some of the early Gen 1 units and just makes you wonder if your setup is good or not. I wouldn't bother with it for current unit.

Wind on long flat rides along the ocean can be tricky because of all the cars. A steady headwind of 4-5 mph is reduced substantially by a long line of cars whizzing by at 60 mph. The effects of all those cars does affect the overall wind speed. The same is true for a tailwind as a steady flow of cars makes the tailwind even stronger.

Keep an eye on your wind numbers when not in traffic in the same headwind and tailwind situations. You may find you want to increase your wind scaling number slightly which would bring your ride numbers in line. You're correct on the avg wind changing when entering known elevation. I'm confident that my windscaling is spot on so not forcing to zero is OK. Most of my longer rides have a substantial amount of time on some heavily traveled roads so it's common to end up with avg wind of -.5 to -1 even though they are out/back rides.
Fernando
combellas

Post by combellas »

Thanks Fernando. Looks like my profile is working great. I am really enjoying my ibike.

Thanks