Shopping for Power

freddeutsch

Shopping for Power

Post by freddeutsch »

Hi - I’m an older fitness cyclist that’s considering switching from heart-rate based to power-based training. I’ve been studying the literature on the various available products and would appreciate feedback to my concerns and questions about the iAero.

1. I’ve read numerous comments on this forum about the device’s susceptibility to moisture – that there are “gaps” between adjacent pieces of plastic that allow rain and sweat inside the unit which impacts function. Several people have suggested home-fixes like using super-glue or clear contact paper to cover the gaps. I can’t imagine purchasing a new device with the fore-knowledge of an apparent manufacturer’s defect. Has this problem been fixed, and if not, is it being addressed?
2. I understand profiles are at least partially dependent on the weight and position of the bike and rider. My two most common riding positions are on the hoods followed by out-of-the-seat for climbing. Does that mean I would or should create two profiles to switch between when I move from one position to another? Is that what users do?
3. I currently use a Garmin Edge 705 with HR monitor. I enjoy the ability to customize the Edge’s screen so the data that’s most important to me, personally, is readily available. Is there any discussion of creating user-defined data screens for the iAero sometime in the near future?
4. Can you please review the recommended start-up procedure before each ride and comment how long the procedure typically takes?

Thanks very much for helping me to understand! - Fred Deutsch, Watertown, South Dakota
coachboyd

Re: Shopping for Power

Post by coachboyd »

freddeutsch wrote:Hi - I’m an older fitness cyclist that’s considering switching from heart-rate based to power-based training. I’ve been studying the literature on the various available products and would appreciate feedback to my concerns and questions about the iAero.

1. I’ve read numerous comments on this forum about the device’s susceptibility to moisture – that there are “gaps” between adjacent pieces of plastic that allow rain and sweat inside the unit which impacts function. Several people have suggested home-fixes like using super-glue or clear contact paper to cover the gaps. I can’t imagine purchasing a new device with the fore-knowledge of an apparent manufacturer’s defect. Has this problem been fixed, and if not, is it being addressed?

The water issue has greatly been improved, but it's still an electronic device which can be susceptible to water leakage. Some of these fixes can help but if I am remembering right the new improvements to the screen design and LCD cover prevent any water from entering the unit.

2. I understand profiles are at least partially dependent on the weight and position of the bike and rider. My two most common riding positions are on the hoods followed by out-of-the-seat for climbing. Does that mean I would or should create two profiles to switch between when I move from one position to another? Is that what users do?

When you are climbing, almost all of your watts are attained by overcoming gravity. Because of the slower speeds aerodynamics do not play a part when you are climbing (which is why it's not a disadvantage to be out of the saddle). Since only a small portion of your watts are used to overcome aero forces there is basically no error. The iBike climbing is very accurate

3. I currently use a Garmin Edge 705 with HR monitor. I enjoy the ability to customize the Edge’s screen so the data that’s most important to me, personally, is readily available. Is there any discussion of creating user-defined data screens for the iAero sometime in the near future?

Probably not (for Gen3) as there's not enough space in the processor and we are limited to the screen that we have for now. Down the road it could happen, and is already in place with the iDash for the iPhone which will allow multiple screens of user customizable options.

4. Can you please review the recommended start-up procedure before each ride and comment how long the procedure typically takes?

I put the iBike on my bike, hit the center button which wakes up the unit and performs a wind offset. I usually do this while I am putting on my cycling shoes and by the time I am done with that the iBike is ready to go. . just go and ride.

Thanks very much for helping me to understand! - Fred Deutsch, Watertown, South Dakota
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
freddeutsch

Post by freddeutsch »

Thanks for your response. I think I'm pretty well sold on the unit. I'm looking forward to taking my ridng to the next level! - Fred
eliwashere

Post by eliwashere »

Hi,
I just wanted to chime in about the water resistance.
I recently received an updated unit to replace one that was susceptible to water damage.
I sweat a TON, train in hot, sunny South Florida, and it is hurricane season.
The new unit performs admirably!
minus10

Post by minus10 »

1) in the last week I've done several rides in heavy rain. The last was over two hours of complete soak. The unit remained water tight and working. Unless you are unlucky with a manufacturing fault, I'd say the iBike handles wet conditions very well

2) I too use a 705 and tend to use that in tandem with the iBike for nav and a range of data fields the iBike doesn't show. In particular, the garmin will show time averaged power (3s, 30s) which can be very useful for keeping to a watts target. The 705 alerts are also useful for cadence training And ofc there are the zones. I still like to see HR and PW zones. I think the simplicity of the iBike display is a strength. In one place I see power, speed, gradient (I flip on auto hill as it is lumpy here), cadence and HR. Perfect really.

3) as has been said. Attach unit to bike and carry outdoors. Put on shoes, polish glasses, grab the water bottles and so on. Switch on unit. Cup hand round front for 15s wind cal. Double tap centre for trip reset and go. Simple and quick.
adrescher

Post by adrescher »

Hi - I have seen a couple times where people have posted there is a 3s and 30s avg in Garmin 705 for power to smooth out the curve. But I have been unable to find it in garmin. Can someone point in the right direction to have these show up on the screen? Thanks

Andy
minus10

Post by minus10 »

Press menu then select settings/data fields. Select the screen you want to display power on and follow prompts for number of fields on that screen. Choose a field, click on it's header and scroll down to the fields that start with Power. The 3s and 30s averages are in there. The manual doesn't look like it's been updated since they added these (at least not in the PDF I have).
adrescher

Post by adrescher »

So if I don't see it, then I probably need to update my firmware eh? I only power, avg power, lap power, max power, etc. No 3 or 30s avg. I'll check firmware, thanks for the help.
adrescher

Post by adrescher »

Thank you, wrong firmaware, I'm all good, thank you for the comment.
MultiRider

Post by MultiRider »

I don't think your question regarding profiles was completely answered. Profiles contain the calibration info required to determine the forces you are overcoming. For different bikes, that would likely include weight, tilt, rolling resistance. For a single bike, the primary variable is wind resistance which is based on body position - in the hoods, in the drops, on the tops, standing. As stated, wind resistance at lower speeds (i.e. climbing) is not a significant factor, so different profiles are not needed regardless of standing vs seated and hoods vs tops. At high speed (approx >15mph), wind resistance becomes a factor and the higher the speed the greater the impact. If your profile is set for riding in the hoods and you go into the drops, you may get inflated watts - perhaps 15-30 watts more than you are really pedaling. Of course, if your iBike is wireless and you are not pedaling, you'll get 0 watts no matter what (which is correct if you're not pedaling).

In general, most riders don't spend a lot of time pedaling hard in the drops at high speed. But if you do, there is the capability to specify a different CdA in the iBike analysis software for post-ride correction. It is an advanced function and very cool.

If you're pedaling into a strong headwind and go into the drops with a on-the-hoods profile, the iBike may suffer a bit of watts inflation, though only for the duration of the in-the-drops-fighting-the-headwind scenario. Again, this might be in the neighborhood of 15-30 extra watts for the period of time that you are "cheating" the wind.

Hope that helps!
Jim Mason
C'dale SuperSix, Specialized Transition, Ibis Mojo, Orbea cx
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

MultiRider wrote:If you're pedaling into a strong headwind and go into the drops with a on-the-hoods profile, the iBike may suffer a bit of watts inflation, though only for the duration of the in-the-drops-fighting-the-headwind scenario. Again, this might be in the neighborhood of 15-30 extra watts for the period of time that you are "cheating" the wind.

Hope that helps!
Interestingly, when going into the drops I've seen where my head is over the iAero enough to act as a cow catcher and move the wind around the unit. I've seen power drop (not necessarily the correct amount) when I go into the drops because I'm moving wind away from the wind port.
Fernando