Advice on Optimizing Battery Life of iAero

tbarczak

Advice on Optimizing Battery Life of iAero

Post by tbarczak »

Hello,

I upgraded from an iPro to the iAero several months ago. I run the latest version 4 of the iBike software and the latest firmware released back in April. Although I've linked it to a powertap in the past, I have that turned back off as I dno't use that feature very often. I use wireless speed, cadence and hr.

I've noticed that I'm burning through batteries much faster either with the latest firmware or the iAero in general (since I got it around the time of the latest firmware release). So replacing the unit battery after it drops below a 280 reading and of course replacing the wireless mount battery as well seems to be happening every 3-4 weeks regularly. Before it wasn't that short lived. So I'm wondering if there are some settings on the unit that I might disable (if I'm not using) to improve battery life? On average the unit is run about 18hrs a week and I always make sure that I manually shut off the device when I finish riding (so it doesn't time out and shut off).

Any advice?

Thanks,
Todd
coachboyd

Re: Advice on Optimizing Battery Life of iAero

Post by coachboyd »

With the newest firmware the unit will do a battery test when you wake it up from prolonged rest. If the message flashes that your battery is good during that I wouldn't worry about replacing it. If you see the message flash on the screen while you are riding "Lo Batt", then it's definitely time to replace the battery.

Getting a month worth of riding (especially at 18 hours per week) is not too shabby for 2 dollars worth of batteries.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
tbarczak

Post by tbarczak »

OK thank you. I was only changing the battery because I thought it wasn't good if it dropped below 280. The system seemed to be working just fine even when the battery started dropping into the 270's, so I'll go by the battery check from now on.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We recommend a battery change when voltage at the beginning of a ride is 275 or below. The iBike will provide this warning message automatically.
John Hamann