How do I check if my profile is correct?

nreimche

How do I check if my profile is correct?

Post by nreimche »

I haven't used my Ibike in a while, and I never figured how to correct my profile, maybe that function is/was not available. Coach Boyd sent me a corrected profile over a year ago that he tweaked from a workout I posted on here. Doesn't Ibike 4.04 have this function? If so, where can I find instructions fo it? If not Here is my most recent workout, I am wondering if someone can correct the profile and post it on here or send it to me. As the saying goes you can give someone a fish, and they'll eat for a day or you can teach them to fish, and they'll eat for a lifetme. Please, teach me to fish out an accurate profile, but if not, please, send an accurate profile for the following wko. Sorry, for reiterating myself so much. Thanks!

P.S. If it helps (to check wind in both directions) there 2 out and back sections at minutes 25 to 35 or so. It was a hill repeat, so you'll see too identical slopes at that time frame.
Attachments
iBike_06_09_2010_1628_22_Miles.csv
Hill repeats at mins 25-35
(971.99 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
"The vast majority of people with schizophrenia are not violent."~Dr. Phil on the Tonight Show. John Nash(A beautiful mind) remarried, went back to work, etc. Flying Scottsman was Bipolar(like schizophrenia). myspace.com/ask_about_schizophrenia
nreimche

Re: How do I check if my profile is correct?

Post by nreimche »

Sorry, if the above question is considered by someone to be dumb. I live in Flagstaff Arizona and the wind is blowing almost all the time. I work late so I do not get up early, when the wind is calmist. Therefore, doing coast downs are very hard to do right. Furthermore, I looked at Ibike 4 for windows for a new feature that would help me check my profile's wind scaling, aero, fric, cda, crr numbers. I thought I read on this forum that there is a new feature in Ibike 4 for windows, that would enable me to do what Coach Boyd has done or still does? Again, I did not see it in the software. Is this a future feature? Did I miss read the post that we would be able to do what Coach Boyd can do (about correcting profiles)? Thanks.
"The vast majority of people with schizophrenia are not violent."~Dr. Phil on the Tonight Show. John Nash(A beautiful mind) remarried, went back to work, etc. Flying Scottsman was Bipolar(like schizophrenia). myspace.com/ask_about_schizophrenia
nreimche

Post by nreimche »

I, really, would like someone to check if my windscaling, or something else, is off. I was hoping coach Boyd would reply, but if someone else knows what they are doing, please, have at it! My ride profile is attached above. Thanks.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Boyd is just coming back from a race but will respond soon.
John Hamann
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

To check the wind scaling is now pretty easy. At any time in your ride if you ride an out and back section the iBike software will recognize it. If the before and after watts are really different based on this out and back, then you may want to check your wind scaling. Doing a new cal ride (slightly longer is better, maybe 2 miles out and 2 miles back) will assign a new wind scaling into the unit.

As for cda and crr, we are really finding that it's easiest to use the estimated friction and estimated aero. The formulas have been working very well and will give you good consistent results. If you feel your watts are too high or low, you can adjust the weight in the estimated aero option and that will also adjust your cda.

A good way to check if you have a good profile is to go down a hill soft pedaling with no pressure on the pedals (at maybe 25mph). You should see a blip here and there if watts. If you then get into a more aero position and keep the same soft pedaling going, the watts should get higher.

Checking of the wind scaling should always be done on an out and back section of road. If you use a one way route, you may have actually had a tailwind the entire time and that will throw off your wind data if you introduce a new wind scaling.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories