Validity of the PowerPod compared with the Verve Cycling InfoCrank

albafar

Validity of the PowerPod compared with the Verve Cycling InfoCrank

Post by albafar »

Just came across this one. Interesting study and findings. As users what learnings should we draw from these findings in terms of mitigating a tendency to high readings in a dynamic environment?
https://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.c ... kspost2013
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Validity of the PowerPod compared with the Verve Cycling InfoCrank

Post by Velocomp »

I read this study. I think it was done very well.

They compared PowerPod ($289) to Verve Info crank ($1300)

There were two types of tests:

1) Controlled, "maximal mean power output test" for durations of 1, 5, 15, 30, 60, 240 and 600 sec, with 12 cyclists tested on the same bike, on the same course, in the same ride position.

2) Training Rides with 4 elite cyclists over 13 rides, riding their individual bikes, over varied courses (their training routes, presumably) with no controls on ride routes or ride style. Rides were solo and group.

In each test type, O&B calibrations were done for each cyclist.

Results:

Controlled test: When PP Crr was set correctly on the controlled test, the two power meters were indistinguishable in performance at all durations (yes, there are two plots in the graph below, but you can't see the difference because there is no difference)
Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 8.43.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 8.43.54 AM.png (26.67 KiB) Viewed 16428 times
Training rides:

They report that PowerPod was "high", notably at the 1 Second level, "...but not for the other power durations".

They speculate that changes in ride position (CdA) or variances in road surface might account for the differences.

Of course, there is a presumption in their analysis that Verve is accurate even at the 1 sec level; I don't know if that is supportable. But, as is usual in all these kinds of tests, PP is presumed to be the odd man out.

It would have been fun to work with these guys, and to see their ride files.

In any event, if your cycling competitive advantage is based on 1 second efforts, then maybe you should consider spending an additional $1000 for the Verve.
John Hamann