Intel Mac Users: how to install Isaac 5.1 macOS Catalina, Monterey, Big Sur, and earlier

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Intel Mac Users: how to install Isaac 5.1 macOS Catalina, Monterey, Big Sur, and earlier

Post by Velocomp »

This post is new as of September 14, 2022.

NOTE: IF YOU WANT TO INSTALL ISAAC/MAC ON AN "M1" MAC, GO TO THIS LINK:

http://www.velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5868

-----------------------------

Thanks to astute detective work by user "droffsite" it is now possible to run Isaac/Mac on Intel Mac computers using macOS Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, and older.

The installation process is simpler, too.

I have deleted most of the older posts on this topic as they are no longer relevant.

If you HAVE installed Isaac previously AND NOW ISAAC/MAC IS NOT WORKING ON YOUR MAC, we recommend trying this post to reinstall everything.

NOTE: IN OUR TESTING WE HAVE LEARNED THAT IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED ISAAC/MAC ON macOS Catalina OR PRIOR, AND SUBSEQUENTLY UPGRADE TO VENTURA, THAT ISAAC/MAC RUNS. HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE DOING A NEW INSTALL ON VENTURA, ISAAC/MAC DOES NOT WORK. THIS IS DUE TO UNRESOLVED PROBLEMS WITH NI-VISA, A THIRD-PARTY DRIVER USED BY ISAAC.
------------------------------------------------

There are four files to download from this page. YOU WILL NEED TO DOWNLOAD ALL FOUR FILES!!

1) Isaac Mac Software Installation Instructions (new instructions as of SEPT 14, 2022)
2) NI VISA driver
3) SiLabs Driver
4) Isaac for Mac

Install Intel Isaac-Mac SW_091422_red.pdf
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 124 times
NI-VISA_21.0.0.dmg.zip
(58.61 MiB) Downloaded 110 times
SiLabsUSBDriverDisk.dmg.zip
(1.89 MiB) Downloaded 98 times
Isaac for Mac.zip
(110.58 MiB) Downloaded 2963 times

After you have downloaded the files, but before doing ANYTHING else, OPEN THE "ISAAC/MAC SOFTWARE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS" PDF. DO NOT OPEN ANY OTHER FILES.

Once you have opened the instructions, DO WHAT THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY, IN EXACTLY THE CORRECT ORDER (you will install the drivers in a specific order)!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED: OPEN AND INSTALL THE SOFTWARE FILES ONLY WHEN THE INSTRUCTIONS TELL YOU TO DO SO, AND HOW THEY TELL YOU TO DO SO!!

If you follow the instructions you will have no trouble installing Isaac on your Mac, even if it is running macOS Monterey or Big Sur. If you don't follow the instructions then you likely will have a real mess on your hands. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!

After you have installed Isaac/Mac/5.1, you will be able to install firmware updates, access your profiles, get serial number information, and view your old ride files.

SPECIAL NOTE ONLY FOR CUSTOMERS WITH OLDER VELOCOMP PRODUCTS!

If you want to use Isaac/Mac/5.1 to download new ride files from your device, and your device was manufactured prior to Dec 1 2019, you will need to purchase an unlock key for your Velocomp device(s), from here:

https://bit.ly/2DkYQJr

After you've purchased your key and gotten an email with the key attached, you can use the following link to learn how to load the key into your device:

https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5321

If you have more than one Velocomp device, only order one upgrade; send us the serial numbers for all of your devices, and we will send unlock keys for all of them.
John Hamann
AN2019

Re: New Isaac/Mac Users: how to install version 5.1 for Big Sur, Catalina, and earlier macOS

Post by AN2019 »

So, Isaac still not working on M1 Macs?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: New Isaac/Mac Users: how to install version 5.1 for Big Sur, Catalina, and earlier macOS

Post by Velocomp »

AN2019 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:23 pm So, Isaac still not working on M1 Macs?
It is still not working. :-(
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I just read the Parallels page about M1.

A few critical points:

1) The "Rosetta" function in M1 Macs won't execute kernel extensions. Unfortunately Isaac includes kernel extensions in its drivers. So, Isaac/Mac cannot run on the M1 chip

2) Isaac/Win also has kernel extensions. So, Isaac/Win won't run on an M1 Mac through Parallels or other VMs.

It looks like the only way to get Isaac running is through a complete re-write of its USB interface. This will be expensive and time-consuming.

I wish there was better news...
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Isaac/Mac Users: how to install Isaac 5.1 MacOS Monterey, Big Sur, and earlier

Post by Velocomp »

I want to give credit where credit is due! The thread from which this post came is being deleted (the thread is no longer relevant) but I am really grateful to "droffsite" for finding this workaround!

Below is his post:

-------------------------------

Re: A partial workaround for Isaac/Mac on macOS 11.4+ and M1 Macs

Post by droffsite » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:19 pm

I have an old machine (2011 MacBook Air) that I've been keeping on an old version of the OS just for Isaac. Somehow it upgraded to Big Sur 11.6.7. I just went through the steps to remove all of the old NI-VISA files. Not 100% sure that was necessary, because...

I downloaded the latest NI-VISA drivers (v21)

Install went smoothly, but on restart, Isaac crashed. Bit of Googling led to

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Con ... lse#M83761

Rebooted into recovery mode (Command-R during startup), then launched a terminal (Utilities menu) and typed the below.

/usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add SKTKK2QZ74

Restarted and successfully ran Isaac, including reading files and upgrading the firmware to 9.01.

I'll be trying this on my M1 Mac shortly.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Intel Mac Users: how to install Isaac 5.1 MacOS Monterey, Big Sur, and earlier

Post by Velocomp »

Hello,

I reinstalled the drivers but I don't think it has worked. You can find the 2 files (windows and Imac).

What will we try next? Removing the drivers and reinstalling them?

Thanks

Kurt
Please post your comments on this thread:

https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5318

This thread is for M1 Macs; you have an Intel Mac. I will reply to you on the Intel Mac thread.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Intel Mac Users: how to install Isaac 5.1 MacOS Monterey, Big Sur, and earlier

Post by Velocomp »

Velocomp wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:16 pm
Hello,

I reinstalled the drivers but I don't think it has worked. You can find the 2 files (windows and Imac).

What will we try next? Removing the drivers and reinstalling them?

Thanks

Kurt
Please post your comments on this thread:

https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5318

This thread is for M1 Macs; you have an Intel Mac. I will reply to you on the Intel Mac thread.
You will have to uninstall then reinstall everything. Do the following:

1) Put the Isaac/Mac file in trash

2) Use the "Remove NI VISA Mac drivers" uninstall instructions attached to this post to remove the NI drivers

3) Download the four files (Instructions, Isaac/Mac, SiLabs drivers, NI drivers) at the original post on this thread

4) Follow the instructions to reinstall the files. Make sure you follow the "System Extension Blocked" instructions carefully.
Attachments
Remove NI VISA Mac Drivers100721.pdf
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
John Hamann
kurt

Post by kurt »

Hello;

I did remove the drivers and did a reinstall.
This morning I did a 68 km ride and I have got the same error message as before.

I don't know what to do now, do you have an idea?

Thanks

Kurt
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

kurt wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:24 am Hello;

I did remove the drivers and did a reinstall.
This morning I did a 68 km ride and I have got the same error message as before.

I don't know what to do now, do you have an idea?

Thanks

Kurt
The only remaining thing to try is this (from an earlier post on this thread)

Post by droffsite » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:19 pm

I have an old machine (2011 MacBook Air) that I've been keeping on an old version of the OS just for Isaac. Somehow it upgraded to Big Sur 11.6.7. I just went through the steps to remove all of the old NI-VISA files. Not 100% sure that was necessary, because...

I downloaded the latest NI-VISA drivers (v21)

Install went smoothly, but on restart, Isaac crashed. Bit of Googling led to

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Con ... lse#M83761

Rebooted into recovery mode (Command-R during startup), then launched a terminal (Utilities menu) and typed the below.

/usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add SKTKK2QZ74

Restarted and successfully ran Isaac, including reading files and upgrading the firmware to 9.01.

If this doesn't work I don't have any additional ideas. Something is different about your Mac's configuration but I don't know what.

At this point I would install a virtual machine and use Isaac/Windows.
John Hamann