Another GPX merge thread, and first ride with Newton

jazclrint

Another GPX merge thread, and first ride with Newton

Post by jazclrint »

Hello all,
So I finally got to use my new Newton I bought months ago (I'm out to sea for 5 weeks, then home for 5). So, as I just recently finished all of my build projects (until my new GT came in that is), including two new sets of wheels, I haven't got the sensors set up on any of the bikes accept for the ol' ProFlex. Equipped with new Shwalbe Evo series tires set up tubless and a new rear shock with bearings instead of bushings, my buddy and I drove to the local trail we've built for the city. This is the first spin I have taken with the Newton. I did a better accuracy setup last night as I wouldn't be able to do a best with coast downs. It was freezing, and it was hard enough to convince my buddy to the short spin on the road as it was. I fired up my favorite Windows phone tracking app and headed out to the road. We went to the end and back (not that far really), and by the time we hit the parking lot for the trailhead again I was still seeing the "----w" on the screen. Well, I wasn't going to make my buddy wait any longer and we hit the trail head. Just a brief moment later when I had the chance to glance down the Newton was showing power. Sweet! I had spent a fair bit of time dialing my old iBike III, but with just a few minutes of riding the Newton seemed pretty close on the ol' butt dyno. Now the trail was frozen solid, so there is that.

So the single lap found us back where we started. I uploaded the gps file from my phone to One Drive via the app and headed home. I get home and upload my first file only to realize I know nothing about Issac. I have tried to merge the .gpx file a few times, but it won't do it. There is a big discrepancy between the two in distance and I can see the Newton isn't counting anything until that short "cal ride" was over. But I thought it was clever like that and would know how to match things up. Any thoughts? Will I have a better chance getting them to merge on the next ride when there Newton and app start at the same time?

Thank you,
Richard

P.S. It's a little scary how well the Newton worked on trails with a 5 minute spin on the road plus a bit on the trail.
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged
Russ

Re: Another GPX merge thread, and first ride with Newton

Post by Russ »

I would suggest using some form of editing on the GPX file to give it the same start time as your ride after the cal ride.
I am only familiar with Garmin edit capability in the PC app but I expect you can find something.

Maybe someone can chime in with an application suggestion or google know so much, it may be of help :-)

Russ
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

Thank you Russ.
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

OK, straight a head trail ride today. Started my GPS app and the Newton at the same time, and still nothing. WTH?
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

Ah ha! I had a rogue data point throwing everything off (apparently I went 800 mph!). I downloaded this: http://download.cnet.com/GPX-Editor/305 ... =pdl-redir, loaded the .gpx file, picked the segment, selected it by right clicking on it, click the "point list" view and deleted the troublesome little bugger (it didn't have any altitude data, is how I found it). Saved it, loaded it into Issac and bob's your uncle.
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

Editing worked on the first ride as well. Not sure why but deleting the first short little GPS segment, maybe while I was standing around waiting on my buddy, and Isaac did it's thing.